Should birth control be available over the counter?

• What's the difference?

You can buy condoms without a prescription and the Plan B pill if you're 17. Why not be able to buy birth control? Women's rights are still an issue. The right to reproduction is still an issue. There are still laws stopping us from being seen as equal as men.

• Yes. But there should be rules

If a female wishes to be on birth control and does not have the opportunity to have it prescribed to her, I believe she should be able to buy it on her own. However, it should not be available to just everyone. There should be things like age regulations on it. Females should have to be a certain age to buy it over the counter. My sister is on birth control and she is 14. This is to help her menstruation. It should only be available over-the-counter for attempted pregnancy prevention for sexually active females.

• Should be

Birth control not being available over the counter isn't going to prevent sex from happening, so we might as well make it available to those interested in using it. Don't hand it out like candy to 12 year olds of course, but at a certain point it has to be acknowledged that the act is happening whether it's safe or not, so we should make it safe.

• Yes...But with Regulation.

Birth control in what ever form, while not the most effective means of encouraging healthy sexual behavior, is still a valuable method of preventing pregnancy. Providing it over the counter makes it more accessible to sexually active individuals or minors who may not be able to afford the cost of visiting a doctor. The challenge that exists is that there needs to be adequate information and suitable regulations, and safe guards to prevent and/or remedy toxicological or hormonal dangers that administering over the counter birth controls may cause.

• Yes it should.

It is difficult for me to afford going to the doctor to get my prescription for birth control renewed. I should be able to buy my birth control without that added cost. It would give more women more control over their reproductive options. Although I do not advocate teen sex, easier access to birth control will at least encourage girls to prevent pregnancy.

• Some women are embarrassed to discuss birth control with their doctors.

I think that birth control should be allowed over the counter for women over the age of 16. Condoms are over the counter, so why not? Birth control doesn't have any abuse side effects, so I think women should be entitled to purchase it without speaking to a Physician. It seems only fair.

• Yes, Absolutley! OTC bc should be allowed nation-wide!

Hello,
    My name is Brittney White. I am 24 years old and I am reaching out to you in order to bring to your attention my petition for getting birth control WITHOUT having to get a pelvic exam. I need 99,000 signatures by january 29, 2016 in order to get this passed. This will allow birth control to be available over the counter and won't require that women expose themselves to demeaning, humiliating, intrusive, violating, and expensive exams. Some women in general have a hard time talking about sex with their dr. Allowing it over the counter would be especially good for women who already have children and can't afford to raise more, but can't afford the expensive exams and doctor bills.(And this INCLUDES MARRIED WOMEN who want to have sex with their husbands just as much as it includes unmarried women who want to have sex) This is also good for rape victims who have a hard time exposing themselves to strangers due to psychological effects of their unfortunate past just to get a prescription. (Pelvic exams and the stranger being the dr and whoever else is in the room at that time, nurses, cleaning staff, etc.) And if anyone were to become victimized in that way, this would make it easier to prevent a possible pregnancy from it & then the difficult decision of what will happen to the child. … This is good for all women. It's convenient and affordable. Plus, women who want to see a dr and get their exams done will still be able to!
    It would be wonderful if you helped me get the word around!
    Please help me get this passed!

You can view and sign the petition here:

http://wh.Gov/iw46P

Thank you so much!
    Brittney

• A petition for over the counter birth control!

Hello,
    My name is Brittney White. I am 24 years old and I am commenting here in order to bring to your attention my petition for getting birth control WITHOUT having to get a pelvic exam. I need 99,000 signatures by january 29, 2016 in order to get this passed. This will allow birth control to be available over the counter and won't require that women expose themselves to humiliating, intrusive, and expensive exams. This is especially good for women who already have children and can't afford to raise more, but can't afford the expensive exams and doctor bills. (This includes married woman) this would also be good for rape victims who have a hard time exposing themselves to strangers in order to get a prescription (a pelvic exam, the stranger being the doctor and whoever else may be in the room at that time) But still need birth control to be intamate with their partners but also for peace of mind given their unfortunate past knowing that if it ever happened again they would not likely have a pregnancy as a result. .... This is good for all women. Its more convinent and affordable and anyone who still wants to see the dr will still be able to.
    Please help me get this passed!

http://wh.Gov/iw46P

Thank you so much!
    Brittney

• Think about this

Although it does not seem important, you need to think about overdosing. There is three common amounts of medication for birth control 20mcg, 35mcg, 50mcg. Not many women would know which one of these they should take. Because of this there would be overdoses and problems with menstruation seeing how they are not getting the right kind or amount. I'd also like to add that there is a risk for taking them if you are a smoker and are also 35 or older. They could have a heart attack, blood clot, or even a stroke. That risk increases with every year over the age of 35 and how many cigarettes are smoked a day. Please just think about the bad that would come of this.