Should birth control be covered by universal health care?

• Saves money for everyone, and not companies business

I have a few reasons why I think birth control should be covered. Firstly, if companies cannot mandate what you do with your salary, why can they mandate what kind of health insurance you have? I don't need a company moralizing to me or controlling what I do in my own time. Secondly, frankly, unintended pregnancies cost EVERYONE money, including the taxpayers. It is far cheaper to prevent pregnancies than to fund them, and then to continue funding single mothers who cannot afford to raise the child without government help. Thirdly, we are kind of stuck with whatever our company wants to give us in most cases. It is not possible (unless you are elderly or very low income) to get insurance from the government, and it is not feasible (unless you are very highly paid) to get health insurance independently. We are stuck with getting it through our jobs. Therefore it should offer certain basic services, birth control being one, since I don't think women should have to research what the company owner's private religion or beliefs are before accepting a job.

• Ignorant people need to realize that people have sex.

It happens. By supporting your Anti birth control coverage argument with "if you can't afford birth control, don't have sex" you are basically saying "I'm an idiot who doesn't realize that things like world peace don't happen just because I say 'if you don't want violence just stop fighting with other countries'". This fighting/ arguing, or in this case, sex, does not just go away because you will it to. These are both important and unavoidable parts of human nature. It will happen, and we need to prepare our society for it by providing contraceptives to the wealthy, middle class, and the poor. Furthermore, it should be covered because it is the most common (birth control) prescription for women. It needs to be covered. It is also significantly more economical than having to pay for unplanned pregnancies. On a final note, this just emphasizes the almost inherent misogyny in society. I am 100% certain that birth control would be covered by insurance if it were for men.
    (Sorry for any spelling mistakes I'm on mobile)

• Economic and Social Wellbeing

The amount of money saved by preventing unwanted pregnancies is more than 5.5 billion dollars versus the 11+ Billion spent in providing Services and funding for Health care, Head Start, and Early Head Start Programs. The social aspect involves mental health and that of the children. When someone become a parent unexpectedly they have many financial difficulties ahead, along with mental trauma for themselves and their children (if they chose to go through with the pregnancy.) Both will reduce our societies overall production capacity, as a direct result the burdens upon the current welfare systems will only increase.

• The benefits far outweigh the costs. People will have sex regardless of social-economic status, morality or ethical responsibility for their offspring.

This is an argument which is not about religion or moral-ism. Our government participates in many things which are against religion but still supported by taxes (do churches drop bombs?). If you believe that your faith absolves your moral responsibility of providing this healthcare service socially, you are a moron.
    People dislike welfare, abortions, orphanages etc, but our society loves to treat the symptoms but not the cause. How many abortions can be prevented? How many children can we keep out of the welfare and foster home systems? For those of you saying the poor should not have sex, this is ludicrous, it's going to happen anyways with or without sound judgement. We should provide universal birth control as in condoms, hormonal contraceptive, elective sterilization etc because the benefits will far outweigh the costs for this country. Anyone who believes differently is deluding themselves.

• Yes it should

Birth control is so important to women. I started using it because of extremely painful periods. I had to have my mom pick me up four times from school because of the pain. Guys: you will never have periods, so you don't get to determine whether or not they hurt or not. Girls: not everyone's periods are the same. Just because yours aren't that bad, doesn't mean other people's aren't. Birth control is so expensive without insurance. To everyone complaining about abortion or overpopulation: the best way to prevent this is with affordable access to birth control. Obviously.

• It is a child safety and child well-being concern.

People who state that there is no basis for covering birth control appear to dismiss the fact that 1.7 million unintended pregnancies happen every year, 65% of them were paid for by public insurance programs like Medicaid, total public expenditures are estimated at 12.5 billion dollars, and low income women are far less likely to terminate an unintended pregnancy via abortion than middle and high income women (http://www.Guttmacher.Org/pubs/FB-Unintended-Pregnancy-US.Html). Also, think about the children that are born and then forfeited into the adoption system. What kind of life is that for a child? Living in foster care until age 18? No thanks.

• Makes Economical Sense to Have Birth Control Covered.

More pregnancies equals more poverty for women. Going to the doctors to get birth control can cost several hundred dollars, plus the prescription. If people don't want the coverage of birth control, allow it to be sold at the local market without a doc prescription and have it less expensive

• Women have problems that can be treated with birth control.

I have poly-cystic ovarian disease. My chances of being able to have children are decreased dramatically because of this disease. Being on birth control makes it so my ovaries cannot form any more cysts, and it also makes my period more regular. When I went to the pharmacy and they told me that my prescription would cost $107, I didn't think it was worth it! I'm putting myself at risk because I can't have affordable health care. Many women are putting themselves at risk because they don't have affordable health care!

• Old enough to have sex, old enough to pay for it.

If you're old enough to have sex, you should be mature and old enough to pay for its implications. It should not be the governments responsibility to make sure one can have sex without having to face any consequences. Additionally, nothing is "free." At the end, the tax payer pays. And why should the tax payer pay for you to have sex?

• It should not be covered

As others have said it is not a basic necessity, if you want the pill covered then purchase a separate plan that will cover it, but others shouldn't be forced to pay for something which either they do not want to pay for or that they have a moral or philosophical opposition to. As others have also said, condoms are cheaper and protect against more. In cases where the birth control pill is used to combat medical conditions, then fine prescribe it, however pregnancy is NOT a medical condition, and therefore the pill should only be covered in cases where it is PRESCRIBED for reasons other than preventing pregnancy UNLESS someone has a condition in which becoming pregnant would pose serious or deadly health risks. However for casual birth control, it should not be funded for by the government. Apparently the government is only supposed to stay out of the bedroom when it suits you.

• Why don't they pay for everything else while they're at it?

If birth control is not paid for by the government (taxpayers), women claim there’s a war against them. Okay, so why don't we go ahead and pay for everyone's pads and tampons too? If you can't afford it, then don't have sex. Oh, you're entitled to the pursuit of happiness? Okay, then lets pay for all the smoker's cigarettes too, and alcohol for people who drink it, and why don’t we cover everyone’s starbucks coffees too. Having the government pay for birth control is the one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard, and that’s coming from a female.

• Rationale Argument

No, there is no medically founded research that supports birth control prevents or treats any disease, unless you consider pregnancy a disease. In fact quite the opposite, it has been known to cause blood clots and other complications. I do not discourage birth control being available to all women, and I also do not discourage abortion for for whatever reason, but it should NOT be covered by insurance (except in circumstances of medical complications). If anything I could make a case for condoms being covered by insurance before birth control, they're cheaper, easily accessible, and unlike birth control actually prevent the spread of HIV and other STDs, while not causing any type of medical complications for the users. Screw the religious arguments and screw the it encourages or enables sexual activity, I'm not arguing those at all. I am 100% arguing for personal responsibility, something a lot of American's don't like. If you want to have sex with someone wear a condom, it's safer and much easier to use than birth control. And quite frankly if you can't afford an $8 box of condoms, you can't afford to have sex. If by birth control you meant things like, fertility screenings, and all procedures and tests, before, during, and after a pregnancy, sure those should be covered. But in terms of the pill, when not used to treat a hormonal imbalance, or other medical complications, and it is used strictly for sexual reasons, it is not longer a "medical reason" and becomes a personal reason. Personal responsibility people, it means it's your responsibility. Religion has absolutely nothing to do with this argument, and in fact is a pretty stupid argument. And this has nothing to do with my argument, but just so you know, this nation was 100% founded on religious doctrine, and I could support that with a dozen recent Supreme Court cases. And for the people who say Viagra can be covered by insurance, so birth control should be too, Viagra is meant to treat the medical condition known as erectile dysfunction. Which yes people, is a disorder and can be caused by certain diseases. Can pregnancy be caused by a disease? Is pregnancy considered a disorder? No and no. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    Also, "certain cosmetic" surgeries are covered by insurance when they are preceded by an injury, such as a broken nose. As for nose jobs, one of the most common plastic surgeries performed, they get partially covered when accompanied with a deviated septum, something that impairs breathing. The only time cosmetic surgery is partially or fully covered by insurance is when you a. have been in an accident b. what is being operated on is causing a medical complication or c. if you're taken an insurance policy out on that certain part. As for dental implants and other procedures related to dentists and orthodontists, those are covered because having something wrong with your teeth, gums, etc. can cause serious medical problems in the future.
    And no women would not be able to bring a class action lawsuit based on the 14th amendments equal protection clause protecting against sexual discrimination, they wouldn't even have standing to sue based off of a Art. 3 Sec. II case or controversy clause because there is no injury in fact that is traceable to the defendant (the government).

• Now THIS is forever alone

But yeah, if you can't afford a cheap little birth control thingy, you shouldn't be having sex at all. Additionally, there's no way I want to have my tax money going to fund someone else's' sexual habits, so there's that too. In general, however, I feel that if you can't afford birth control for yourself, you'll be in hot water if it fails and if you can afford it you should buy it yourself.

• I do not believe birth control should be covered by universal healthcare because it is not a necessary medication for health.

First of all, I disagree with universal healthcare, but that aside birth control should not be covered by such a plan. Birth control is an option a choice if you will. No elective procedures should be covered by a healthcare plan that others are paying for. In fact, birth control is not covered by some private carriers so this would not be a concept that is unheard of.

Posted by: SascM0n
  • Your wife is not my obligation!

I personally have nothing against women's access to contraceptives/birth control. Universal healthcare is a system of socialized medicine in which citizens share the burden of healthcare costs. I totally do not agree with the proposed PPACA because of its forseen devastating aftermaths. But regarding contraceptives, these are my contentions/views : -
    1. There are a vast number of people and workplace institutions who believe that birth control is not ethically acceptable due to their religious/philosophical views. In universal healthcare. the Govt. has the right ot force you to pay your healthcare taxes. This shows injustice to those who do not believe in contraceptives and a violation of the freedom to religon and expression as mentioned by the Constitution.
    2. Socialized medicine is the first step to the socialization of the state. If a person is broke to extent of not being able to afford for contraceptives then they probably should not have excessive sex in respect to their ability to thinking the long term effects or should restrain themselves to other cheap means of birth control methods like condoms. I also feel it is morally reprehensible that one citizen pays for what takes place in a fellow citizen's bedroom. It also shows how uncivilized we are being amidst the fact we are advanced.

• Women's Reproductive Rights - Refinery29

Why should tax payers pay for birth control? Pregnancy is not an illness. Further they should not be required to pay for abortions. A baby is not a disease. They also should not be required to pay for self-inflicted addictions such as drug addiction and tobacco. Many Americans can barely afford paying for medicine for their own illnesses and diseases which were not self-inflicted.

• Absolutely not!

Having health insurance cover birth control is not economically friendly. It will drive up the costs of the "free" birth control for those who wish to use it. Nothing is FREE. Please get that through your heads. Everyone will be having to supplement it by paying more taxes. Why should people with morals against it be forced to pay for it, too? That doesn't make sense. There's something called the First Amendment which liberals only like if you preach their ideologies, and forcing Catholics to pay for it infringes upon their First Amendment rights. Car insurance doesn't come with "free" gas. Why should health insurance come with "free" birth control? Why do I have to pay for people to be able to have multiple sexual partners? BE RESPONSIBLE and pay for it yourself. Birth control is not a necessity for life, so if you want it you can go buy it, but other people should not be taken into account of paying for it for you.
    You're not entitled to anything but life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. You're not entitled to birth control when all citizens are forced to pay into the health care system or they will be taxed.

• Not a basic need.

We don't need birth control in our lives to help us live. We need food, water, shelter, and other stuff like that. If those aren't covered in our insurance, why should this be? It's true that it prevents unwanted pregnancies but there are other ways to prevent that. Abstinence is one of the best ways. Also, "free" birth control just encourages more people to have sex. That leads to less marriages and more divorces. As we all know, there is no prevention against HIV or AIDs. So having more sex will raise the rates of people with HIV or AIDs more.