• Books should have ratings for the good of children.

I believe books should have ratings like films, games and so on. This is because the films and games are rated on what is in them like nudity, cursing, violence and sex scenes. However all the factors of these ratings can be found in books for example fifty shades of grey, I am number four series and thirteen reasons why. All of those books can be purchased or loaned from a library at any time by anyone even little kids. I may be 15 but if I ever have kids I will make sure they do not get hold of these books until I think they are ready. So why don't we put ratings on books it makes everyone safer from things. By things. I mean a 8 year old accidentally reading fifty shades.

• I truly believe that books should be given a ratings system similar to movies.

I truly believe that books should be given a ratings system
    similar to movies. Why do we even have
    ratings systems for movies, video games, and music when any kid can just go to the
    library and get obscene books at any time?
    Ratings systems should be universal and apply to all mediums.

• Ratings, but not bars.

I believe it is important for people to know what is in the contents of a book before reading it, as many young learners are pushed to read literature such as Foreign Parts or The time travellers wife at a younger age than the target market. However, though I believe the rating should be displayed on the cover, I disagree with banning younger kids from buying these books. I believe this because kids will already have literature in their house with adult themes that they can pick up at any time. This is a job for parents to enforce, not laws.

• People are currently unaware of What lies beyond the cover of a book before reading it.

People have a right to know what they read before reading it. A simple rating similar to movie ratings would help people to make an informed decision on what to reading. A rating wouldn't ban people from reading certain books.
    I personally would love to have a rating on books! I hate when I waste time reading a book and have to put it down because I feel uncomfortable reading it.

• Ratings Are Not Control

Many are saying that we don't need this control by some government agency.
    As already mentioned books and magazines are already sectioned into groups.
    However, putting a rating on the written word is not so far fetched as we do so with so many other forms of entertainment. Movies, games, music, even some art is rated.
    Rating books would only give the consumer more 'user friendly' information on which to make a decision.

• The reason for ratings is to protect children from adult content and context!

The reason for movie ratings is to protect children from adult content and context. If that is a valid premise, then it should apply to books, too. I don't think it is too much to ask to have a book notify you that it has specific adult content, especially rape and torture.

• Personal experience is my reason

I remember picking up a book when I was 16 and the book was very well written and creative...But it was also very sexual and the message it sent was that women can be promiscuous until they find a guy that really "loves" them. I was such a confused teenage and this book led to several more purchases by this author, who became my terrible adviser for the next few years.
    Yes, I understand the free exchange of ideas and that many books contain simply valid descriptions of what happened and it should not be censored - but censoring is not what I think should happen...I think we should simply rate the books like we do any other media. This way, parents don't have to read through an entire novel before allowing their children to read it. This way, I don't have to Google a best seller to see if it is beyond what I want myself to read.
    The debate that people need to be more open minded and educate themselves is ridiculous - for the same reason people argue reading everything is good is the same reason I argue reading everything is not good -- reading changes you. What we read and meditate on becomes a part of our thoughts and tends to encourage us to believe one way or another. Why do we continue to safeguard only our children when we should be safeguarding ourselves as well. Some of these books are not literary works - they are just porn and vulgarity in written form. And I would love to know that BEFORE I buy, borrow, or waste my time googling.

• Rating of books would allow everyone to make informed choices

Ratings for books would not only be for the purpose of screening content for children but to inform any potential reader of the type of content contained in the book. I personally what to the know the level of profanity and vulgarity, sexuality, violence and language and graphic content in a book or magazine prior to buying it or borrowing it. I want to screen the content in books as I do for movies and TV shows, the web and other media formats now available. I want to know the cringe factor of a book before and not after I start reading it.

• 100% Yes, yes, yes!

I have never, ever understood why some material is apparently okay in one media form but not another. Some personal experience here in high school we had to read "Romeo and Juliet", after reading we watched one of the movies (I don't know which version it was) and the teacher fast forwarded the intense kissing scenes (truly just kissing, no clothes were removed) We could read about a couple young people who barely know each other "falling in love" resulting in murders and suicides but better not let a room full of hormone crazy kids see a couple making out, don't want to give them any ideas. That was a mild example the next one is another book we were supposed to read, "The Bean Trees". I say supposed to because this one I didn't read all of it I just couldn't force myself through the whole thing, I did read a chunk of it though and all I could think is they would never let us watch this movie. Ever since then I've always wondered why there are not ratings on books. There are ratings on movies, music, games, even graphic novels so why not regular novels? I think this would be helpful to parents who are concerned about what their kids are reading since many parents probably don't have much, if any, time to read and they may not want to spend it previewing what their kids want to read. It would also be helpful to the everyday person who maybe just doesn't want to read graphic material so there are no surprises. I've learned that just because a book isn't about something violent or sexual doesn't mean it isn't shoved in there somewhere waiting to surprise you, it would be nice to know beforehand exactly what you are getting into.

• In some way, yes.

The best thing books have rating-wise is reading levels. Though that is hardly used and hardly is seen (unless someone wants to look for it); and should be used more. If they helped show what age group the book is targeted to it would be nice. It would help with books that are not known to potential readers. Especially if stores mix up books making some books seem good for some age groups when they are not. Such as Walmart putting '50 Shades of Grey' next to the 'Hunger Games'. Which has happened. It could help some book lovers find potential books they would want to read; since you really can't judge all books by their cover art. It (or any other ratings) shouldn't be used as a means to limit readers. It should merely be used -if anything- as a warning of sorts to help readers determine if they would want to read the book or not.

• Nothing to add that hasn't already been stated.....

Rating systems for media in general are unnecessary. It's a parents responsibility to filter their own children's media, not the government. And as far as ratings existing for adults to be warned ahead of time of content they may not necessarily enjoy reading, that seems unnecessary as well. If you are reading a book and you are not enjoying it due to some type of graphic content you can put the book down, stop reading and find something you will enjoy.

• No and neither should movies, video games, etc.

The rating system is BS in general. The idea that some "divine group of individuals" (the government) has the authority to place a subjective age number (likely pulled from their ass) for when we can view certain media in our lives is totaltarian and opressive. It goes against America's first ammendment which states people have the right to free speech, press, etc. It goes without saying that people also have the equal right to voluntarily consume said speech, press, etc. as they desire.

Everyone I knew at 14-15 years of age was watching R rated movies, playing M rated video games, and reading books/comics depicting graphic "suggestive themes". Our parents didn't care because they knew we were mature enough to handle it. At the end of the day, it should be the PARENT'S responsibility to control what media they allow their minors to consume until adulthood. Placing law into effect on the subject issue does more harm than good and essentially strips the rights of people to free speech and consumption.

• Books are their own ratings system.

Literature has an interesting way of censoring itself in such a way that, it would not require tight regulation for it to be protected from the likes of children in that, most of the time, the intentions of a book will go right over the head of the reader who is not either prepared for the material, or simply would not understand it. Stephen King's Pet Semetary is a great example of this. Called by many King fans as one of his most terrifying novels, to a young person, without children, without many experiences, it's just another book, but it holds a different weight entirely when you have effectively lived a particular life. Books don't need ratings because most of the time, what would be described as harmful is only so if you understand what it means. Beyond this, there are many books where the language serves as a barrier, that is, too complex for someone to read, and because of this fact, they'll not be able to break through the density of the book in order to read it at all. Literature is also good at defining genres, which eliminates the inherent need for a ratings system, but dividing up the books into appropriate categories.

• Leave the rating for the movies

Ratings are more of a suggestion than an actual guideline. Children in the twenty first century are mature enough to know weather or not a book is acceptable for them or not. If they cannot, then they wont read the book. Rating books kind of takes away the mystery to what is held inside. Books are a way to escape reality and entry your imagination. If there were ratings, then readers may back away from a book that may have well been their next favorite book! I've read many books that have detailed make-out scenes which may as well be considered too adult, but the rest of the novel was enticing! I wanted to read on and on for hours! And another series I have read was a little gruesome. The point is, books may have a little of everything, which is great for the developing minds of young readers! Who is to say that a book with one or two adult words may be the next best children's book of all time? I say leave the ratings to the movies and games. Books need to stay free and open minded.

• Leave the books alone

• Leave books Alone!

Ratings are more of a suggestion than an actual guideline. Children in the twenty first century are mature enough to know weather or not a book is acceptable for them or not. If they cannot, then they wont read the book. Rating books kind of takes away the mystery to what is held inside. Books are a way to escape reality and entry your imagination. If there were ratings, then readers may back away from a book that may have well been their next favorite book! I've read many books that have detailed make-out scenes which may as well be considered too adult, but the rest of the noval was enticing! I wanted to read on and on for hours! And another series i have read was a little gruesome. The point is, books may have a little of everything, which is great for the developing minds of young readers! Who is to say that a book with one or two adult words may be the next best children's book of all time? I say leave the ratings to the movies and games. Books need to stay free and open minded.

• Ratings Are Not Needed

• Books Shouldn't Have Ratings

I don't believe its right to have a rating system for books.
    -One, what organization would decide what books should be rated what. Think of Harry Potter. This book was censored for witchcraft. If a rating system was established, who would have the right to say Harry Potter should be rated lets say X. Many people would agree and disagree with this.
    Two- What should a book be rated for. For example, is a book with one sex scene different from one with many. Should the book with many be rated worse than the one with only one? Or should books be based of violence? Does it truly matter if a book has more violence than another.
    Three- Children can't be restrained from reading books. Books have many interesting topics that must be learned. Children can't always learn things from school. Children rely on books to teach them things you wouldn't learn in school. For example, children may learn about the affects of drugs in a book. This could lead to the child learning to stay away from these, affects. In conclusion, I believe books should not be rated like movies or video games.

• Using modern technology

I believe that children should receive guidance on which books to buy and since most people have mobile phones they can do a Google search if there is any concern that the book is not suitable for their child . This eliminates the risk of a child reading something wrong. Finally most children tell their parents if they think there is something overly mature for them in the book too.

• There is no matrix

Fadsfadssssssssssssssss f f ff fther aj adjfoe aldofjeomdo foajdfoje ther fdl o doodo doodo odo o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o oo o o o oo o o oo o o o o oooooo o oo o