Should bottled water be banned because of the waste it creates?

• Bottled water is useless

Bottled water is usually tap water anyway, all it has that's special is the amount of toxins it creates and how many resources are used and wasted to make them, not to mention the toxins in the bottles themselves is slowly poisoning those who drink from this?osable plastic water bottles.

• Stop it

it wastes too much plastic and pollutes the rain forests and does all kids of bad stuff. it takes too long too make them when we could be making other things like toys and video games we could also make more resources and try to recycle and make more trees and things like that.

• Use recycled water bottles

If you use plastic water bottles you will wreck the earth and you will be making yourself sick and you will infect others. If we just don't use plastic water bottles then we will be making a difference in the world and be making an inpact on life and animals.this is very inportant in life and your own health and inpact on life. Listen to me cuz your life will be better and recycled safley while being safe form infections and viruses coming out of nowhere.

• People need to be more responsible.

If people are on the go, bottled water is not the only option. If people exercise responsibility and carry reusable water bottles, then they wouldn't feel as if they need to buy bottled water. Consumers need to inform themselves about what they are putting into their bodies and realize that oftentimes bottled water=tap water. The plastic PET they are drinking from leaches toxins such as BPA, which is far worse than anything they think they're getting from their taps.

• They are destroying the planet that we all depend on!

The oceans are filling up with plastic and are having an impact on sea creatures and those that feed upon them such as us humans. This sort of behavior is not going to stop on it's own. People and large companies alike do what is easy but not always what is in the best interest of humanity. Governments need to be the ones to take action and stop the use of all the plastic!

• I agree that bottled water should be banned, not only for the waste it creates, but because it treats water as a commodity for profit.

The plastic water bottles leak chemicals after a period of time. The plastic bottles are not usually recycled, and end up in landfills and waterways, polluting the environment. The water contained in the bottles is usually tap water, and is not currently regulated. By selling water, it treats it as a commodity for profit, when most people feel water (like air) should be free. Some communities have already banned the sale of bottled water, and it has made a difference in the amount of trash going into landfills.

Posted by: IothBee
  • the bottles are bad for the environment and our health

we should banned them because the factorys waist there money to create such a waist that just makes the earth worse and if they are banned then we can use that money to give to one of those places that dont even have water

• Bottled water is just tap water.

25% of bottled water today is just tap water, sometimes purified and sometimes not. Companies such as Aquafina, Dasani, Crystal, etc. are just tap water. The only bottled water that is pure and natural spring water is Poland Spring. The many bottles made are sent to landfills and harm the environment so why have the bottles?

• absolutely not only are alot of cities but

it kills the enviorment but it factories that make them pollute the air maybe if every one started to recycle them it would help but the factories are still out there.another thing is 60 million get made a day and im guessing at THE LEAST half of it get thrown in to the garbage/land fill

• Tap water is tastier

Even if tap water is dirty, you can easily clean it out with leaves, moss, and some water cleanser(you can buy it at the store). If you make tap water clean, you can drink clean water without ruining the environment

• It doesn't do much harm to the world!!!

These water bottles may seem like a dangerous thing to keep making, but it is important to have these bottles! There is a village in Guatemala that builds new, improved schools and houses with the plastic bottles from their dump! I think the government should stop making them in such large groups, not ban them entirely! Some people NEED to use them for things.

• I oppose the banning of bottled water because it has its place as a convenient source of ready to go water.

I oppose the banning of bottled water because it is a convenient source of portable water however steps should be taken to reduce its unnecessary use. Much of the bottled water on the market is not cleaner than filtered water from your fridge. Reusable water bottles should be encouraged whenever and wherever possible. Many companies have started to use biodegradable and recycled plastic to address the waste problem..

Posted by: R3n5God2iIIa
  • No, it shouldn't be banned.

People need bottled water. What would we do without it? Especially when we are out on the road, on a piping hot day. What would we do, switch to glass bottled water? Well, that's not safe. Restaurants don't want to give out free water. There aren't public water fountains. You must have bottled water for people's safety. Besides, we now pay a bottle tax on those waters, so they can be recycled.

Posted by: MohaI0v35
  • A healthy legal product

Ban something else...or educate people on recycling. But banning a legal FDA approved product because of its container doesn't make sense. This ban is driving people to buy soda or Gatorade products, which come in heavy plastic bottles. Concord business owners have already seen the shift to sugary drinks, no one asks for a fresh glass of tap water

• Sugary drinks, encouraging recycling, lead and other contaminants

Why would anyone ban water bottles exclusively when it's the most necessary element in our lives? Why not ban sugary drinks, soda, etc. that are packaged the same way? I recycle every water bottle I buy and encourage my children to take water with them wherever they go. Hydration is best achieved with water and who needs all those sugars or artificial ingredients in the other marketed (plastic bottled and more expensive) drinks? We also have a high lead content in our area and in our home water. Tell me that every germ infested unfiltered water fountain is a healthy alternative and I will taunt you some more.

Posted by: Xxxs
  • Bottled water should not be banned because of the waste it creates, because it is sometimes the best option available to people.

While I agree that bottled water can seem wasteful, especially when you take into consideration the plastic waste that end up in landfills, I think it's a necessary product. It's the best, and sometimes the only choice, when people are away from a source of tap water. Long before it became a common staple in many homes, bottled water was used by industries as a way of providing water for employees in out of the way places, such as coal mines. I think a better option than an outright ban would be a tax or deposit on the bottles to encourage their reuse.

Posted by: SuddenRashad84
  • Bottle water should not be banned

Bottled water should not be banned because in China our Thailand, the water is very dirty.

• No we shouldn't

I'll admit that people do waste plastic water bottles and that bottles do pollute the earth. But give yourself a reality check and look at how many people need this clean water. Victims of natural disasters are in desperate need of clean water. Think of how many storms, earthquakes, etc. Have happened in the past, and are happening now. The U.S. Not only sends bottled water around the victims in it's own country, but also sends relief supplies to other countries also. Take the Philippines for example, the U.S. Sent at least more than 200,000 liters of bottled water to help the victims. Imagine what would happen if bottled water was banned. Think of the lives that would be dehydrated and how many people will die because the lack of fresh water. This is just one of the many reasons bottled water shouldn't be banned, there are plenty other reasons that I would love to explain that I just can't explain right now due to the nagging of my mom telling me to get off the computer.

• Bottled water does not need to be banned because of the waste, though it would be nice if there were a deposit/return program.

Yes, bottled water does create a lot of waste both in the production and disposal of the bottles. However, there are good reasons for making it available. The disposal process just needs to be improved and people do need to be encouraged to carry reusable bottles whenever possible. But in emergencies, such as New Orleans and Haiti, it is much more important to get water to people in need and take care of disposal problems later. Perhaps if user and distributer bore equal responsibility for wise use and disposal, a sensible solution could be found.

Posted by: vempyrik 66
  • Banning the bottle hurts those who cannot trust the tap

Bottled water is a luxury in many places. Designer water with extra minerals, high fizz, imported abroad or with triple filtration is as much a status symbol as a luxurious extra health kick. However, for many who live in areas with old pipes, poor water quality, or uncertain tap water, bottled water is the only way to ensure safe water. Bottled water is also a relief supply to be distributed after a disaster, like hurricanes. It saves lives when it is stored and kept for those times when the water is turned off. Bottled water is not the immoral act, it is the failure to recycle those bottles that is wrong.

Posted by: Pir4And

Anonymous says2013-03-01T13:25:43.387
i strongly agree
Anonymous says2013-03-17T16:50:46.167
No, it should not be banned. Yes it should be taxed so you pay for the bottle + the cleanup costs it will create. So maybe add 20 cents or so to cover the recycling costs.
Anonymous says2013-04-08T16:45:14.053
I think that plastic bottles should be banned because they are harming the environment!
Jbrandel says2013-04-10T19:56:16.793
I definetly agree, bottled water has to. (From Jake Brandel)
Anonymous says2013-04-19T20:12:37.500
We should keep water bottles
Anonymous says2013-05-02T13:00:04.233
They should not be banned because all other drink bottles hurt the enviorment too.
Anonymous says2013-05-02T13:00:44.730
Bottled water is to useful in many countries to be banned
Anonymous says2013-05-02T13:01:38.020
I agree, we should keep water bottles!
Anonymous says2013-05-08T13:23:33.183
I agree, bottled water should be banned.
Anonymous says2013-05-14T22:40:03.740
I think that bottled water should be given only to the country's that really need it. Places that do have access to clean tap water should take advantage of that and not waste bottled water for places that need it for a life-or-death necessity.
Anonymous says2013-05-23T22:01:27.503
Reusable bottles should be pu in place of plastic water bottles
themightyindividual says2015-10-21T17:27:41.470
You guys are all goddamn hippies.
themightyindividual says2016-04-19T01:40:46.600
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you get to use the government to stop it from existing.