Should brain-dead pregnant women be forced to stay on life support?

• It's possible this baby could be born healthy!

I wouldn't want to be on life support & I have talked with my husband about it. But, who thinks to talk about that if your pregnant. I would want my husband to do anything he could to save our unborn child if I was already gone. Keep me on life support, cut me open, whatever would save our baby. I'm not sure if this is her feelings but I feel most women would feel the same. There was also a case that was similar but the family wanted to save the baby & they were successful.

• Yes, if the child can live.

Yes, brain-dead pregnant women should be forced to stay on life support, because there might be a chance that the child could live. The child should be given a chance to live if there is any way possible, because it does not have a voice of its own. The mother is brain dead, and therefore not inconvenienced.

• The Decision should be left to her family.

The state is not God and they have no right to pretend they are. There is something unholy about forcing a family to watch a dead woman lay in a bed acting as an incubator for an unborn fetus that may or may not survive. The state has no business making this kind of a decision. If the patient has given advanced life directives, they should always be followed.

• No. Even the dead have the right to refuse medical treatment.

All patients have the right to refuse medical treatment. This should not change because a woman is pregnant. It is a woman's right, not the state's, to make decisions about her medical care. If a woman has communicated her wishes -- either in writing or to her next of kin -- to be removed from life support in the event of brain death, even if pregnant, to force her to receive treatment against her wishes would be tantamount to the desecration of a corpse by the state. It is an inexcusable government intrusion into the bodily sovereignty of the individual.

• No, even the dead have the right to refuse medical care.

All patients have a right to refuse medical treatment, and that should not change because a woman is pregnant. It is a woman's right, not the state's, to make decisions about her medical care, and that includes making provisions to be taken off life support in the event of brain death, even if pregnant. Forcing unwanted medical treatment on a brain-dead woman is tantamount to desecration of a dead body by the state.