Should breastfeeding a child to two years of age and possibly beyond be more accepted in society?

Asked by: Backroads
  • The WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least two years of age. Globally, this is normal.

If the World Health Organization is up for it, do the strange moralities of U.S. citizens trump that? Breastfeeding is healthy and does not stop being nutritional at a certain age of the child. It is recommended children stop using a bottle at one year of age, yet no one complains to see a toddler with a bottle. Society should be more accepting of the notion.

• Yes of course.

The benefits of long-term breastfeeding (for both baby and mother) are very well documented. The WHO recommends a minimum of 2 years. Breastfeeding is normal, natural, and the healthiest way to feed your child. A breastfeeding relationship should continue for as long as the mother and child are comfortable and society should support and encourage that wholeheartedly. Seems like everyone wants to see a pair of breasts, but god forbid a baby is attached to them.

• Yes It Should

The WHO recommends it, and some data shows that the worldwide average is 2.8 to 3 years. However, no matter what anyone says or does, breastmilk is very beneficial and healthful, and there are no proven or logical detriments to longterm breastfeeding. On the contrary, children who breastfeed longer seem to benefit. Some studies are even beginning to show that breastmilk may be useful in fighting cancer and AIDS.

• A mother can choose how long she wishes to breast feed her child and others should not judge her because of her choice.

It is a mother's choice as to how long she breast feeds her infant for. As long as the child is still relatively young, breast feeding should be viewed as acceptable. Being able to feed their children until they are independent or until they go dry is how the Lord designed mothers to be. Just because one disagrees with another's mothering choices does not mean that they are wrong. Therefore, they should not be ridiculed or looked down upon.

• Yes. Breast feeding a two year old should be more accepted in society.

I was breast fed until I was 20 months old and I turned out fine. I plan to breast feed my children until they are 2 years old. Remember breasts are for Breast feeding. It's natural and healthy to breast feed a child. It's more unnatural to not breast feed your child or to have someone else do it.

• Beyond two years?

Frankly, it sounds weird. A child, at age 2, should be drinking from a cup. They are too old for a bottle, or a breast. Mothers who can't see this, I feel, have a problem saying no. Maybe, an unusual attachment to the child as well? Why would you blend the "Terrible Twos" with weaning. That's just asking for trouble. And the older a child gets, the more you risk problems. Part of breast or bottle-feeding is weaning. That's a no-brainer. Parenting, as a whole, is about leading a child step-by-step toward independence. How do you send one to kindergarten, when he/she is still attached to the breast? Encouragement is key. Prolonging the inevitable isn't as much about the child's health as it is the mother being needy.

Http://www.Yourkidstable.Com/2012/08/how-to-teach-your-baby-or-toddler-to.Html,

https://shine.Yahoo.Com/7-tips-teach-baby-drink-regular-cup-161900878.Html,

http://www.Webmd.Com/parenting/baby/features/weaning-your-breastfed-baby