Should Brock Turner serve a more harsh sentence than what the judge gave him for his sexual assault crime?

Asked by: Lovinity
  • Judge too lenient; considered the wrong side of the story

First off, here are a couple worthy articles to check out before reading my input.
    Survivor's story:
    Media story:

The original sentence for Brock turner was 14 years in prison, which even that, in my opinion, was a little lenient considering he had 3 charges against him. Nonetheless, he left with only a 6-month jail sentence. Part of what happened was his Dad made a testimony that influenced the judge to decide anything more would be "too hard" on Brock Turner.

What the judge did NOT consider, however, is the impact Turner made on the innocent woman who was passed out when she was assaulted, and not knowing the full story of what happened to her until a casual browsing of the news revealed that to her. This is something that may haunt her for a very long time, perhaps for life. Now she has to go around with the stigma of being a rape survivor and everything else our rape culture perpetuating society puts on her. Yet, Turner gets nothing more than 6 months in jail. In addition, the media had the audacity to praise him for his swimming record and reputation. THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS CRIMINAL ACT!

It seriously disgusts me that Turner was let off so easily. In my opinion, he should have been given a 20-year prison sentence with mandatory education on rape culture, women/gender/sexuality, and respect.

Good news though is his school did not take this lightly and banned him from the swim team as well as gave him the option to voluntarily withdrawal from the University or be expelled.