Should California require algebra for high school graduation?

• Algebra is in fact the MOST useful math skill you learn.

Contrary to what aaronnwangg says, I would argue that algebra is the only math skill that everyone really needs. Beyond basic addition and subtraction I mean. Calculus is very useful but really only needed by math intensive professions, and geometry is nice and simple but again more limited to which types of people will ever need to figure out the volume of a pyramid. Algebra, however, is used in everyday life. It allows people to look at conflicting variables and find the optimal point between what they are getting and what they are giving.

It lets you figure out ratios and rates of change. These are applications that everyone uses no matter what job they have. Heck, even if you don't have a job at all and just want to know if its worth driving across town to buy weed from Skinny Pete at a discount, or if you're better off getting it from the creepy guy behind the 7-11 at $2 per oz, thats an algebra problem. If you don't learn algebra, you pretty much learned math for nothing.

• Duhh of course?!?

Americans need to stop looking for a free ride an think about the standards we set for our children; and how it effects our nation. People who think that we shouldn't do this needs to use their brains and stop trying to dumb down our country. This should be required at every school for the sake of common sense we need mathematicians they are the backbone of our scientific and overall development in education. This is a necessity.

• We never use it in this real world, there's is no point of it. It is just a waste if time and effort.

The teachers are paid more than 30 thousand dollars to teach algebra, using this money we can use it on other material for other more important subjects. The algebra teacher can go teach English LA class which is important. Therefore high schools should not require algebra to graduate high school.

• Who asked this? A High School student in California?

Yes, of course you need math... You literally need math for everyday things, while they do exaggerate a bit, you now have the ability to map out and mathematically prove how much of an exaggeration it is.

A nation of stupid people won't survive. Your nation must fully know Science, Math, and History to succeed and thrive.. Try baking a cake from scratch, or do your taxes without that knowledge. I for one do not want to live in a nation that is being economically and scientifically destroyed by it's lack of knowledge.

Fact is, Math is the bases of most knowledge.

• Algebra and more

Algebra is literally like learning the 'A,B,Cs' of a language. You need to learn Calculus at high school too in order to string those 'A,B,Cs' into a cogent sentence and paragraph, as a manner of speaking. With that, you can begin to read the works of Einstein, Dirac, Bohr -- > the greatest work of human intellect. They are humanities' greatest achievement. Unfortunately, most high school Math and Sciences ( especially Physics ) stops at the beginning of the 20th C. Imagine -- if we use an analogy to compare it with U.S. History -- > not being taught about the WW1 and WW2 by the time you graduate from high school. This will no do. There must be even more Math in High School !

• Mathematics is the single most relevant subject at all levels of education.

Mathematics is what created the modern world. It is natural science, economics and analytic philosophy that drive progress, and they are subjects requiring mathematics. To be able to make informed decisions when voting, logic and mathematics are thus required. In a democracy knowledge is not only economically motivated (although mathematics is the most important subject even if only economic motives are considered) but a civic duty. It is a duty that exists for the citizens own good, not to punish them: they need it to secure their interests in the political process. I would like to extend mathematics in primary and secondary education to include more logic and proofs to cultivate more analytical thinking rather than memorization which is quite useless on its own. That way the subject would be more useful even to those who do not go to university. Logic is essential in everyday life.

• Algebra is useless!!!!

What do we need algebra for anyway? I understand that we would need basic math like addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication, but why algebra? I haven't used it for anything in my life and I doubt that I will need it later on. Therefore high school students don't need to graduate with algebra.

• Who Uses Algebra?

Algebra isn't at all a very useful skill in everyday life. In fact, very few people actually use it beyond algebra teachers and college professors. You see, in the "Help Wanted" section of a newspaper, do you ever see an opening that says "Wanted: Someone with good algebra skills"? No. You see stuff that people actually do, like babysitting and car washes. Why learn something if you are guaranteed that you will almost never use it?

• I've never used it in my life

I may be 18 but I know for a fact that the chances of me using Algebra in anyway shape or form later on in my life is low. People often times confuse different types of math with algebra, for example I've seen people say that doing taxes is a form of algebra. This is in fact false, taxes relies on basic numbers and doesn't really use integers nor variables which Algebra does use. It's also worth it to look at the fact that doing your taxes involves % now it may have been just me but I don't recall learning anything about % in either my Algebra classes 1 or 2. Just go look up "basic algebraic equations" and you'll see they have nothing to do with your daily life's use of numbers and math. It's for this reason that we shouldn't have Algebra as a requirement because of the fact that unless you are going to specialize in it and become a teacher or something else, it has no practical use in life for the most part. We should be focusing funds for classes on more vocational classes like maybe a "daily life" class where people learn to do taxes, or tips for paying off mortgages, or this could be placed into "economics."