Should Canada and the United States merge into a single country?

Asked by: bigdave
  • It should because

They are right next to each other and it's economy would be better as one single economy with one governor. It would be fair for Americans to share land with the Canadians. I don't see why they are two separate countries if they seem to be good at working together as if they were united.

• They are the same people

The PEOPLE: there may be an imaginary political border, but the people are of the same viewpoints on most issues.
    ECONOMY: In the NW, for example; Oregon, Washington, Idaho, British Columbia, Alberta, Alaska, and Yukon, all possess the same economies of goods, services, and are tightly connected via freeways despite the border. Otherwise, Canada and USA are the largest trading partners in the world.
    MILITARY: The US militaries already protect all of its shores and skies protecting the whole of Canada as if it were America.
    POLITICALLY: Other than maintaining the title of "sovereign" nation, the capital city of Ottawa is essentially operated from Washington, D.C., the american Capital. Canada and the USA also has the longest unprotected national border in the world durr to the close ties of close beginnings of the countries.

• Merger would be great!

Merging would create a world super power and great for the economy generally! Canada would be incredibly lucky to be honoured with the option to merge with the US, gun laws could relax in Canada and the liberal politics would thankfully die! Should Trump become president he would make it a fantastic success!

• Merger would be great!

• Absolutely we should

Both countries are very close in many ways (military, economy, culture and so forth though Quebec is certainly an exception). There would be some difficulties to face this hypothetical super-nation but it greatly benefit both the United States and Canada. This is no new discussion either, many Canadians and Americans throughout history have pondered on the idea as well.

• Red & Blue states solve some cultural problems

I am a white male conservative Christian. There is no place in Canada where a person like me can fit in and feel welcome.

If the two countries merged I could move to a red christian state and stop bothering secular Canadians and they could stop bothering me. Win win.

• Canada and the U.S have have very many connections through out history.

How it would benefit both sides :
    Canada has many un-tapped natural resources and no means or the man power to extract and use them. While the United States has the 1st and 3rd largest Economy on earth. (3rd belonging to the state of California) . Merging together, these two countries could easily rule the world in terms of economy, out balancing China, India, and many other Asian countries.

Stereotypes on both sides:
    There is a rumor that 1/3rd of the population in the U.S is fat. This is simply not true. The 'data' that showed this compared it to the international scale, which includes starving people in Africa. The average world weight is around 120 lbs, while the average american weight (Including Canada and Mexico) is around 140 to 150 lbs. Canada's 'Free Healthcare' is not nearly as great as it sounds. The lines are very long and the waiting lists for say, organs are nearly 9 times as long as they are in the U.S. I saw someone say here that Canada has 'Anti- Hate laws' That is an awful thing. While the U.S has laws against 'Hate Crime', just because our laws say that say, the members of the KKK should be allowed to have a platform and a voice is a great thing. Its so the government can't sensor people by labeling it 'Hate speech'. I love to live in a country where a Nazi can have a radio show! Because then those same laws protect people with new ideas like Bernie Sanders. I also saw someone say that 'Americans lost a lot of the 4th amendment' That proves to me that nobody outside our country knows how our government works. See, the government (Any branch) CANNOT, under ANY circumstances remove a right or amendment to the constitution. A case could be made for the 18th Amendment, which outlawed alcohol. This was then defeated by the 19th Amendment which basically said 'Ignore that other one'. People here challenge our government all the time, so i have no idea where that came from. The U.S debt is not as bad as it sounds. The U.S is in debt to its people, not so much China or whatever. During the 30s and late 20s, the U.S went through a time of economic waste. So the government offered people to buy things that then the government would pay them back later. China saw this and bought thousands of them, this is why our debt exists.

In conclusion, the U.S and Canada would definitely benefit from merging, Our history is so closely linked, that it wouldn't be much of a change.

• Canada US merger

Canada has much In common with the US northern states. The provinces were part of the Underground Railroad during the US Civil War. Canada would add about 50 electoral votes to the electoral college; 18 seats to the Senate and 32 house seats. That shift in political ideology would change the US for the better. We need Canada to right the ship.

A merger will not be easy, nor immediate. If we could start by removing the passport requirements for traveling between countries, remove the boarder, and allow each country's citizens work or live in either country without restriction, we would begin the path of unification. Plus, this will eliminate the defections from the US if Trump is elected President.

• Canada US merger

• Merge with them!

Canada is bad country so we should just merge with the US, since i dont feel safe living with frenchies. I hate frenchies. If we merged with the us, french shiuld be banned. I hate french speakers with all my heart. Thats it. I dont like french; us IS Best coutnry. Trump 2016!

• Canadians have our own political culture, economy and laws

I tend to like Canadian laws better than American (although I suppose I am biased because I am Canadian).
    For health care, I believe that readily available/affordable health care is a human right. Canada does a fantastic job with that, and that is one area where the States and Canada are different. America tends to invest into its military more than any other investment in its country. It spends so much on military, that it's defence spending is more than 10 countries combined !(China, Russia, UK, Japan, France, Saudi Arabia, India, Germany, Italy, Brazil) That could be money spent on health, education, welfare, crime deterrents/prevention.
    There are also gun ownership laws, Americans sometimes consider gun ownership to be a constitutional right, while in Canada, we don't normally allow citizens guns (with the exception of hunting) in order to prevent crime and wrongful death.
    Then there are some hot topic issues, like abortion, and gay marriage. In Canada both are legal, so the fact that these are still debates in the States is sort of cringeworthy. It would be disappointing to have these laws challenged yet again.
    And then there is the fact that Christianity pretty well dictates politics in the States, despite the image of "separation of church and state". Politics is clearly swayed by religious opinions, such as readily available birth control, abstinence only education vs honest and comprehensive sex education, abortion (again), gay marriage (again), and the fight to keep evolution out of "secular" education. The fact that a country could be so unapologetically bigoted with regards to how their religion influences their politics is just...Disturbing. Did you know that 6 States that have measures that successfully prevents atheists from holding public office? And that isn't even the beginning of unequal treatment in the States, there are so many other groups the States targets to discriminate against.
    And then there is the economy. Apparently the State's debt is around $17 trillion. It is a sticky situation, and Canada can't inherit that debt.

• I like Canada.

Canada is a great country.

- No draft.
    - Free healthcare.
    - Isn't in the way.
    - Isn't fat

I see many debates about gays on this site. Guess what, GM is legal nationwide in Canada. Move to Canada, problem solved.

There are also a few other interesting Canadian laws, but I can't think of them right away.

All that coming from a US person.

• No it shouldnt

Because the United states and Canada both fought on their own for their independance and they fought for their own land so that they could rule it themselves. We would have increased economy yes, however then Canada would have to take on our economy which can go more then one way. Making ourselves into one country could mean that Canada may have to take on our debt and that is not their job. Canada should stay Canada and United States should stay the United states. However if we were to combine all three of the north american contries into one large country we could have a few benefits of its own. We could come together as a large empire and be of our own world.

• Canada should not join with america!

Although i'm not a Canadian, i believe that Canada and the US shouldnt join for 3 reasons... We are far stronger as 2 nations that can work together than as a single nation. Although america has a stronger military, having 2 militaries that can work together is much better. If we were to merge there would be far too much land to govern and protect. Although we could possibly be stronger with our military if we were to join.. Its still far too much to protect. Canada is slowly being taken over by China. China is buying millions of dollars worth of Canada's oil wells and resources, therefore if China owns all of Canada's resources.. China pretty much owns Canada. If china were to eventually take over Canada, the U.S. would eventually be controlled by China too if we were to join

• Canada should not join with america!

• Racism is not present

Black people need to not be in this great country. Negros are a plague on humanity and need to be eradicated. I have a 5 year plan to completely expel them from the US, and eventually, the world. My phone number is 911.
    "Have my back, keep out the black!"

• No I do not think we should become part of the United States. It would not be very beneficial for Canadians.

We as Canadians have not lost any of our freedoms granted to us by the Charter of Rights. While the Americans have recently lost a lot of the 4th amendment. We do not deem it necessary to have a police state. We are not fed the propaganda BS to the degree that the United States has. We are encouraged to challenge your government. Our country has a higher economic and educational medians. We also have anti - hate laws. Personally I believe that the United States would only be interested in Canada so that they may still are natural resources being that there was billions of dollars for those said resources such as water to the BC government. Why is the Canadian do not want a 17 or 18 trillion dollar military deficit for a supposed war of mass destruction rather than the economic imperialism that it is. What freedoms are the Americans protecting it seems to me that they are losing more of their personal freedoms day by day so why as Canadians would we want that to happen to our country. On a regular basis I see police brutality throughout the United States. Are police officers are governed by the same laws that we are and they can be prosecuted under the same standards as a regular citizen. Our police officers because they have a badge or not granted special rights under expected to follow the same laws is all other Canadians. In the United States I see the big business has more rights than the everyday citizen. What does the United States have to offer us other than expensive medical costs, a lower economic standing, a higher education expense, our natural resources in order to cover the Americans military debt. While Canadians celebrate multiculturalism The Americans want us to assimilate to their country. What benefits are there to join the United States.

• Why we shouldn't merge

The USA and Canada are two wonderful countries. However one is the superpower of the world and the other isn't. The Americans have a superior military that Canada lacks. In my opinion, the healthcare in the USA is better because even though it's pricey, it provides better quality than the Canadian healthcare. It would better for the two to be separate, but very close allies.