• American Land Expansion

It would be a fun idea to actually see Canada as a part of the United States of America because we would see an expansion in American land. Also, the trouble of illegal Canadian immigration can also be resolved knowing that the people already living in Canada would be known as American citizens. It would be cool to see America own Canada and Mexico.

• I'm Canadian

Dear canada, you are not canadian but american in the heart, just embrace your true nationality and stop being a separate state. You and I both know that Canada will eventually join the U.S. and we must work together to prevent China and Russia from taking over the whole world. We should call ourselves Cameridians.

• Yes Canada can be an American state.

I say Yes Canada can American state, IF it wants to be. I have never been to Canada so I can not comment on the people just as there are many American states that I have not been to most American states. I say that if Canada wants to be part of the USA then let it. Our country was founded by people who where not from this country. Welcome Canada.

• Yes! I eat cats!

I'm a Christian racist.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H

H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H

H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H

H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H

H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    H
    Murica.

• It makes good sense

We share the same culture, language, ancestors, and most Canadians believe that government should be by the people for the people. If trying to change a law in Canada it takes forever to change a law. Int eh US with enough supporters, it goes on a ballot and the people have their say. And just maybe Canadians would stop the continued self loathing/guilt.

• It will be good for the ever growing us population and we could get more natural resources.

Canada and us have been grand allies, but USA expanding population, we will need more natural resources to fulfill Americas need. We could build bases with fast access to Europe and the Mid East. Reduce population density also. It would be easy for Americans to travel to Alaska. Open borders and economic boom

• United we stand, together we fall.

The two nations have been neighbours for almost 300 years, we should reorganize the two nations to unify the Canadian and American peoples. Although, we have different tax rates, policies, and government ideals, we can still make ourselves greater by the merge. I not saying that it will be easy or that it wouldn't take time, but the world is already facing many problems, with American intervention making it worse. So, in order to decrease American imperialism in foreign powers we should combine the U.S. and Canada to give the U.S. Army incentive to protect their homeland from their actual homeland.

• Simply a formality at this point.

I have wondered since I was a child why we are not united as one Nation. There are so many things (Too many to list) that tie us together already, that it only makes sense to come together as one Nation. Economically, it makes perfect sense, because much of it's corporate infrastructure is already owned by American companies. Culturally, it is like comparing Germany and Austria. Very few differences. This may sound rude, but it is a fact that Canada has lived in peace on it's soil only because of the U.S. Military, and being our neighbor. Now, I think it is short sighted to say it should only be one State. It should be 10 more states and 3 more territories. Socially, it is possible. The USA is a very diverse country. Much of Canada is left leaning, which is fine. It can join the ranks of states like California and other liberal states. Our currencies are almost equal in value these days. The main issues here are eliminating the border, molding together some federal laws to be adhered to, unifying the Police, Military, and other State and Federal institutions of both Nations, which are largely similar anyway, have Canadian law makers working and voting in Washington D.C., and most of the rest would be left to States rights, so very little would change anyway. The Canadian States could keep their beloved, failed socialized medicine if they choose to do so. Or we can come up with one that actually works for the whole Nation. The only real question is what to do with Quebec? Personally, I wouldn't mind having it as part of the Union. They can maintain their French culture, and if the citizens of the State of Quebec want to function properly in our society, they will also learn English.
    Quite frankly, this should have been done long ago. It would have been politically easier to do then. But, it will happen anyway. It's only a matter of time and is "Simply a formality at this point."
    Visit www.unitednorthamerica.org for a full and exhaustive explanation of why this should and easily could happen. I am in no way affiliated with that group. I just agree with them. By the way. This group was started by Canadians suggesting this. And as for you naysayers who insist on how different our two countries are, what century or world are you living in? I have traveled to Canada many times and see very little difference. I love the people and would gladly welcome all Canadians into the United States of America. All 60 States!

• Usa to rule them all

We support Canada economically, militarily, and in many other ways. We already basically own Canada, so why not? It's absurd to think that Canada was/has/is or ever will be greater than the USA in any aspect. Poutine, Tim Horton's, and Harvey's for all! What a great place this would all become, eh?

• Many States and 100% Voluntary!

Obviously Canada is too big to be a single state so maybe 7-10 separate states and as long as it is voluntary (i.E. No invasion/war) then I am all for it. If the people of Canada want to join The United States Awesomeness then let them as per the US Constitution.

WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED!!!!!!!

• Proximity Doesn't Define Statehood

It is a bit absurd to think that Canada should become an American state. First off, we have very different histories as we have made our ways through becoming our own independent countries. Canada has French influence, while the US used to be under British rule. We have grown into very different policies as to how our countries are run, and already share physical resources, and there is just no need to do this. Put it another way: should Mexico become an American state? That's what I thought.

• Disaster would insure.

With a country with the population about the size of California, there's bound to be some issues, such as the second official language, re-organizing the health-care, relationship with the royal family, citizenship... The whole situation would ruin the new country and create even more of a target on the U.S.A . These unions always end for a reason.

• No way on earth

First, I would hope that this article was done tongue-in-cheek because the basic premise that everyone wants to be American is just a fantasy, bordering on insulting. There is no way I ever want to be American.

But secondly and sadly, I think there are some defacto states in place already. My beloved Australia for one. When i arrived here from Canada thirty three years ago, it was an entirely different country. They had their own unique culture, lifestyle and even expressions. The new generation has lost all that and think they should behave like what they see in the media which is, of course, based on the American model. Even the Indigenous Australian believe themselves to be aligned with the African American (and when did black, white and all the other colors of the rainbow become politically incorrect? Another Americanism. Like my son says "What we do not know we have a color?" Wake up.) and that is of course, patently ridiculous. They try to say that things like "hip hop" is of the Australian culture and came from the streets of Sydney, Melbourne, etc. Duh, excuse me, what planet are you from?

I am not sure about the UK nor NZ. Suffice to say I shed a tear for the two countries close to my heart. They have long ago lost their uniqueness. I mourn that loss.

So as much as I hate to admit it but Canada was the 51 State and Australia the 52nd. They just did not know it. It is too late for them but I say the the other countries of the world should value their individualism and not become the homogenised American version.

Thirdly, my message to Americans would be to get off your cloud (as the Rolling Stones said) and find out that there is more to the world. "Learning" - a novel idea to a nation of people who think they know everything.

The whole thing is a joke but I am not laughing.

• I'm Canadian

Why in the world would we ever want to become American? We like snow, hockey, and our laws. We have a good history and steady economy. Why would we want to give that up? Obviously people saying yes don't know what Canadians think or who we are. You might as well ask if Egypt feels like becoming part of Greenland.

• Since Canada is larger than the US, shouldn’t it be the other way round?

There is no reason to suppose that the Canadians are longing to give up their independence and cultural identity to become part of the United States any more than citizens of the United Sates are longing to have a maple leaf on their national flag or the Queen’s head on their currency. Furthermore, although there is a lot in common between the two countries in terms of architecture, cuisine, and language and so on, but politically Canada has more in common with Europe than the US and they would be loathe to forgo their cherished healthcare system, for example.

• No - we have been doing fine as separate countries

There is no reason why Canada should be merged into the USA. Both nations are doing just fine independently and have their own sets of ideals, ways of life, holidays, currency, etc. Trying to upset that balance would do far more harm than good at this point. We need to keep ourselves separate.

• No

The Canada and USA of today have grown close. We don't think of ourselves as brothers, more like cousins. Our economies are linked, we share the longest undefended border in the world and both draw from on of the world's largest reservoirs of fresh water. Do we really need a border to separate two peoples with so much in common? I think it is a good idea that Canada and the US stay at arms length of each other. For as much as we are alike, we are different. You have only to look into the papers to understand why Canadians could never become part of American culture. As two separate people separated by a thin line our ideals are miles apart.

• We are Unique

I love being Canadian, as done my Hubby who is from the US. We are a peaceful Nation and welcome everywhere we go. Unlike Americans who are militant and war mongering. I've seen Americans travel abroad and many claim to be Canadian. What gives? The distinct difference is that we truly care about our fellow Canadians. We are more socialized which to us is a good thing. Americans think it's a dirty word or mistake it for communism. We are welcoming to immigrants in more than just words. We are way more laid back as a people. Americans are always screaming USA, USA, number one. Well sorry but you're not. Not in education, healthcare, mortality and others. We're way ahead in all of the above . We don't need more guns to prove ourselves, or to cover our fear and insecurities. Quite frankly I don't see what we could possibly gain from being folded into America. The benefit would be to Americans becoming more Canadian.
    So sorry I don't ever want the two countries merging. My worry would be that Canada the State would be exploited for every natural resource they could find. So NO, Never, absolutely Not.

• We are Canadian

Despite what some Americans think, Canada is different from America politically, culturally, and in many ways. Suggesting Canada joins the USA is like suggesting Canada joins Russia- It is illogical, and not plausable. We are a smaller populated country and would lose all say to not only our political lives, but other aspects. As a Canadian, I would NEVER support annexation of my country, and would fight it in any way, shape, or form.

• No no no

We have our own culture and our own ideas. Our government is much more stable as is our economy in such a way that clashes with the american spirit. Socialized medicine and other things would be unfortunately lost and that's no place I want to live in, ever ever ever