Should cars with loud exhausts be banned from the streets

Asked by: mnadla
  • Yes they should

I have a Toyota Camry and it has a muffler exhaust it really sounds nice but it's not quiet and it's not loud it's the perfect volume. I love how I can hear my engine roar but it hate how people have super loud cars that sound ugly and old. They are just annoying and disturbing they peace.

• Loud Exhausts Are Already Illegal

In most places this is already illegal. The problem is law enforcement. Masses of people need to rise up and demand that the police and other government entities actually enforce the existing laws. People need to take action now. The awful noise disturbance will not end simply by asking the criminals doing it to stop.

• Loud vehicles are hell for me, I have hyperacusis

Of course they should be illegal, I don't care if loud exhausts have been legal for a long time, it's utter hell just living because of them. Every time a loud vehicle drives by it sends me into a state of fight or flight and gives me an extreme emotional response. Every day, every hour, multiple times an hour, I have to quickly cover my ears just to try and alleviate the pain it causes me. Then I have to decompress which can take a while depending on my stress levels. But there is so escape from these loud noises, unless I want to make my tinnitus worse, there is nothing I can do to properly block out the sound. It is like an assault on my brain, all just so some freaking jerk can feel special driving around.

I have sympathy for anyone who can't control it, nor do I care as much if it is a work vehicle, but the people who purposefully install loud exhausts are completely inconsiderate.

• Just remove your sound proofing!

If you want to hear/ 'enjoy' your engine just remove your interior sound deadening material. The real reason you wont is you get a kick out of inflcting your perceived power onto the general public.
    In the UK the public must call 101 to report all noisy cars. Ask to be put into contact with your neighbourhood Police team and mention 'anti-social behaviour and Section 59' you have to be persistant as even the male Police officers in the UK sympathize with modded cars.

• Getting out of hand

Why should I put up hearing someone else's bloody loud noise from their custom-made cars? How would they like it if I drove a car with a very loud exhaust and go up and down their street every day? No they wouldn't like it! So why should I? I get at least 6 cars a day that come up to my area and I am getting fedup with it! Also there is one car that keeps driving round and round every day, just so he can hear his car make that stupid noise. Must waste so much on petrol. Why doesn't he just buy a CD and play that in his ears instead?!?

• Getting out of hand

Why should I put up hearing someone else's bloody loud noise from their custom-made cars? How would they like it if I drove a car with a very loud exhaust and go up and down their street every day? No they wouldn't like it! So why should I? I get at least 6 cars a day that come up to my area and I am getting fedup with it! Also there is one car that keeps driving round and round every day, just so he can hear his car make that stupid noise. Why doesn't he just buy a CD and play that in his ears instead?!? Swindon. Wilts

• Getting out of hand

Why should I put up hearing someone else's bloody loud noise from their custom-made cars? How would they like it if I drove a car with a very loud exhaust and go up and down their street every day? No they wouldn't like it! So why should I? I get at least 6 cars a day that come up to my area and I am getting fedup with it! Also there is one car that keeps driving round and round every day, just so he can hear his car make that stupid noise. Why doesn't he just buy a CD and play that in his ears instead?!?

• Loud exhausts should be banned

Tyre noise is regulated and yet loud exhausts remain, why? To address the intoxication comment someone made, living next to a popular bar for many years I can guarantee that vehicle noise is greater than intoxicated revellers. Forget the history, the debate is for moving things forward. Ban excessive noise in our communities, enforce the laws relating to horn use, and maybe we can have some more peace? If I lived next to a racetrack there wouldn't be any course for complaint, but alas, I don't! Keep it on the track.

• Yes, they should be banned.

Why should I have have to listen to an immature persons loves of a noise exhaust system or lack thereof, for their selfish enjoyment, when everyone else hates to listen to it. Why do I need to hear the dam noise from a car or motorcycles that is like - 2kms away ? People love to go to the outdoors be feel of this kind of unneeded noise pollution, why do we have to put up with it, in the city. I hate it.

• Loud exhausts are invasive.

A noise that penetrates the windows and walls of my home is an invasion of my privacy and it is only those modified loud exhausts that make that noise where I live. I don't invade their privacy, yes there should a a law against these kind of loud exhausts. I would like to know where these people live and then I would show them what it's like to be on the receiving end. We have to respect each other in this world or we end up fighting, that why loud exhausts need addressing in a fair society.

• No they should not

Loud cars are in all classic vehicles because of the size of their engine. To ban these cars would confirm a blatant disregard for history. Disturbing the peace is done in ways other than noise; a loud car driving by is far less disturbing than public intoxication and violent crime and a ban would put the cars in the same field as these offenses. A ban would be a great example of poor policy making by our legislature.

• Restrictions on Car and Motorcycle Noise Will Negatively Affect the Medical/Pharmaceutical Industry - One of the Few Bright Spots in the US Economy

Noise is GDP-positive. No one should restrict it. There are an army of folks in the Silicon Valley working on automating many tasks that people get paid too much to do and don't do well enough - clerks, taxi drivers, truck drivers, train drivers, stock and inventory replenishment, cashiers, cooks, so many jobs. The rest is off shored. Your iPhone isn't made here and neither is the computer server hosting this website in some data center - it's all made in China. The fabs/factories cost billions and it's too hard to train people here to work those jobs. Even Apple employs more low paid workers at Apple stores than US software engineers.

The one place you can get economic value out of people boosting GDP regardless of their intelligence is medical/pharmaceutical. Many people aren't intelligent enough to understand the health implications of certain activities - it's impossible to explain it to someone with limited intelligence/education. But you don't have to explain anything to people to treat health problems with drugs. Even people of limited intelligence know pain, insomnia, anxiety, depression - a checkup shows hypertension.

Medical/pharmaceutical is 20% of GDP. We can grow it without forcing people to learn new things. Let them be free and boost GDP treating their illnesses.

Noise from traffic, loud car exhaust, etc. has been conclusively proven in scientific studies to cause hypertension, anxiety, insomnia, depression, cognitive deficit/performance decline and for children, it causes behavioral problems, poor school performance and other problems.

People who live in high income neighborhoods don't drive loud cars and motorcycles. In Atherton, Ross, Hillsborough, Woodside, Los Gatos (the nice part, not the meh part), you will not hear one single loud, burble burble car. If a person these neighborhoods drove a loud car or motorcycle, they'd be talked to - subject to enormous pressure.

You can't explain science to folks with limited intelligence. They usually say "Yeah, but that doesn't apply to me or my family because we're different." The best you can do is hook them up on the subscription model. I own Merck, Allergan and GSK shares. I support pharma paying for doctors' trips to Hawaii with their families for 'seminars' etc. in exchange for pushing product. Nebivolol for hypertension is $130 a month - that's $1,560 per year per patient. A 35 year old with hypertension who'll live to 70 will generate $54,600 from just one on-patent drug. The cost to produce $54,600 of pills? $80, sometimes less. Belsomra, excellent for insomnia, is $328/month. Assuming mid-30s onset, that's a lifetime bounty of $137,760. Lexapro is about $260 a month, a lifetime bounty of $109,200. That's $301,560 over 35 years, or 26.8% of the ENTIRE PRETAX INCOME of an average US worker over 35 years (median personal income). Laugh, but median income workers in the US provide more GDP value in pharma bounty than any other area of activity. It's their economic function for the foreseeable future. Mess with that if you want a 10 year recession.

• No it shouldnt

Modded cars show the personality of the owner. If someone wants to have a loud exhaust then i support that. I want a loud exhaust but you can get in trouble for moddified exhaust. This is AMERICA DAMMIT.It is saying certain more words are needed so im typing so i can submit

• Gonna stop crying

Why don't you all stop crying and ruining peoples fun. Cars are loud so what. Wear a pair of ear plugs if you don't like the noise. Loud noise cos racecar brap brap brap brap brapb rap brap brap brap brap brap brap brap brap brap brapbrap brap brap brap brap brapbrap brap brapbrap brap stututututu

• It is what cars are about

Besides how the car looks, most of people like exhausts notes. From my perspective the way a car sounds is one of the most important things. Of course if its a four cylinder with a fart cannon. No i would not like that to be legal, but if it is a toyota supra or ford mustang or chevy corvette its ok to have a loud exhaust. Those cars sound amazing. If you hear it coming you are forced to turn your head and look at it as it goes by. It just might be my opinion but loud exhausts are peaceful to me, more peaceful than some electric car driving by considering you cant hear them, silent cars are more dangerous to, try to take that into acount.

• I believe that

If you want to have loud exhaust you can, but if you are going to be a douche bag and just rev your "good sounding" car all the frking time, i say no. All the world needs are more insane revving idiots who will cause a natural disaster, and don't even get me started on ricers...

• It's Been Around For A Long Time

Cars with loud exhaust have been around for a long time and we can't simply place strict bans/restrictions on them just because they have loud exhaust systems.If the car itself is loud when the engine is not revving at high RPMs then I can understand but it kills all the fun and raw driving experience that has been around for 70+ years.Therefore,I support keeping loud exhaust systems legal and the driver can rev it out every now and then but again, if it is exceptionally loud then it must be regulated to some degree.