Should cars with loud exhausts be banned from the streets

Asked by: mnadla
  • Yes they should

I have a Toyota Camry and it has a muffler exhaust it really sounds nice but it's not quiet and it's not loud it's the perfect volume. I love how I can hear my engine roar but it hate how people have super loud cars that sound ugly and old. They are just annoying and disturbing they peace.

• Noise is pollution.

There is a national law against loud exhausts but unfortunately it goes largely ignored. Those supporting the right to add loud exhausts to their vehicles are correct that they are free to modify their vehicles if they wish. However once one installs illegal and unrelgulated equipment on their vehicle one is no longer allowed to operate said vehicle on public streets. Which brings me to the part I don't understand. I have worked as an automative mechanics and every single exhaust system I have ever sold or installed that is louder than manufacture clearly states "for track use only" on their boxes and materials. I support peoples right to modify their vehicle 100% but I do not support the operation of illegally equipped vehicles on public streets. If you want to keep this ability to modify ones vehicle legal, stop using modified vehicles to terrorize other citizens. You may think it makes you look or sound cool and that you are garnering admiration from all the bystanders but in reality you are pissing off 90% of the people around you. Those of you who like loud noises, especially loud enough to cause health issue and/or hearing loss are a minority. I hope this group of people continues to shrink and the more the public is annoyed the more the public will complain. I surmise the more public that complain the quicker tougher laws and regulations will be placed on this ridiculous practice of modifying a vehicle then driving it on public streets as if it is your personal race track.

• Noise is also pollution.

• Noise is pollution

• Attention Seekers Obviously

In time they might come to terms with their ignorance and immaturity. How long before they realise that we are not interested in seeing or hearing you!
    The adults among us have better things to do than just ride round the block disturbing the peace. Everyone has a right to enjoy their home in comfort and peace. Read the Noise Pollution Act.

• Attention Seekers Obviously

• How can I sleep? How can I put baby back to sleep after waken 2am or 4 am ?

They rev their car next to peoples parked cars to trigger alarms. They rev their car next to bedrooms. They put ON sub woofer very loud to cause houses shaking and put offensive music. And they shout to the window that they are better than us. We are nobody and they are kings of the street. Ban them all!
    By the way my neighbor has standard (not modified) loud car. Ne never use it between 9pm and 8am considering me and other neighbors. He is using normal car when he need to get out late. This is respectful behavior.

• Miserable for Homeowners Near Roadways and Absolutely Unnecessary.

I live near a roadway which has become increasingly crowded and the additive effects can lead to significant mental stress, concentration problems, agitation, and anxiety -- all completely un-necessarily. All modern vehicles are designed to minimize such noise, and modifications to vehicles to generate/increase noise are either completely unnecessary to public road operation or simply designed for effect with no bearing on performance whatsoever. While it may be your constitutional right to own such vehicles and drive them privately, vehicles on public roadways may be regulated in any way which benefits or protects the community and/or the environment and it is NOT your "god-given" right to drive such vehicles on public roads. You are disturbing individuals in their private residences, thereby violating THEIR rights and reasonable expectations about their living environment and community.

• Loud car noise sounds as awesome as someone running a leaf blower outside your bedroom window at 4am.

No one likes sounds that they consider to be "jolting," like a leaf blower or the sound of those old bell alarm clocks. These sounds were not manufactured to be pleasant. Imposing a deliberately loud noise on others is rude - imposing quite on others, is not. I believe people who drive loud cars and bikes are arrogant, self-serving, and inconsiderate of others. They don't seem to consider the ill-effects these sounds have on the environment, wildlife, or humans.

• Big loud bores

Loud exhaust noise accompanied by music that sounds like DIY. There's a car park nearby and it's either a continuous rumble from the engine or a loud bass noise from the stereo without any form of synchronisation, and they get away with it. It can go on for hours. I alway thought cars were a mere form of transport.

• Restrictions on Car and Motorcycle Noise Will Negatively Affect the Medical/Pharmaceutical Industry - One of the Few Bright Spots in the US Economy

Noise is GDP-positive. No one should restrict it. There are an army of folks in the Silicon Valley working on automating many tasks that people get paid too much to do and don't do well enough - clerks, taxi drivers, truck drivers, train drivers, stock and inventory replenishment, cashiers, cooks, so many jobs. The rest is off shored. Your iPhone isn't made here and neither is the computer server hosting this website in some data center - it's all made in China. The fabs/factories cost billions and it's too hard to train people here to work those jobs. Even Apple employs more low paid workers at Apple stores than US software engineers.

The one place you can get economic value out of people boosting GDP regardless of their intelligence is medical/pharmaceutical. Many people aren't intelligent enough to understand the health implications of certain activities - it's impossible to explain it to someone with limited intelligence/education. But you don't have to explain anything to people to treat health problems with drugs. Even people of limited intelligence know pain, insomnia, anxiety, depression - a checkup shows hypertension.

Medical/pharmaceutical is 20% of GDP. We can grow it without forcing people to learn new things. Let them be free and boost GDP treating their illnesses.

Noise from traffic, loud car exhaust, etc. has been conclusively proven in scientific studies to cause hypertension, anxiety, insomnia, depression, cognitive deficit/performance decline and for children, it causes behavioral problems, poor school performance and other problems.

People who live in high income neighborhoods don't drive loud cars and motorcycles. In Atherton, Ross, Hillsborough, Woodside, Los Gatos (the nice part, not the meh part), you will not hear one single loud, burble burble car. If a person these neighborhoods drove a loud car or motorcycle, they'd be talked to - subject to enormous pressure.

You can't explain science to folks with limited intelligence. They usually say "Yeah, but that doesn't apply to me or my family because we're different." The best you can do is hook them up on the subscription model. I own Merck, Allergan and GSK shares. I support pharma paying for doctors' trips to Hawaii with their families for 'seminars' etc. in exchange for pushing product. Nebivolol for hypertension is $130 a month - that's $1,560 per year per patient. A 35 year old with hypertension who'll live to 70 will generate $54,600 from just one on-patent drug. The cost to produce $54,600 of pills? $80, sometimes less. Belsomra, excellent for insomnia, is $328/month. Assuming mid-30s onset, that's a lifetime bounty of $137,760. Lexapro is about $260 a month, a lifetime bounty of $109,200. That's $301,560 over 35 years, or 26.8% of the ENTIRE PRETAX INCOME of an average US worker over 35 years (median personal income). Laugh, but median income workers in the US provide more GDP value in pharma bounty than any other area of activity. It's their economic function for the foreseeable future. Mess with that if you want a 10 year recession.

• No it shouldnt

Modded cars show the personality of the owner. If someone wants to have a loud exhaust then i support that. I want a loud exhaust but you can get in trouble for moddified exhaust. This is AMERICA DAMMIT.It is saying certain more words are needed so im typing so i can submit

• No they should not

Loud cars are in all classic vehicles because of the size of their engine. To ban these cars would confirm a blatant disregard for history. Disturbing the peace is done in ways other than noise; a loud car driving by is far less disturbing than public intoxication and violent crime and a ban would put the cars in the same field as these offenses. A ban would be a great example of poor policy making by our legislature.

• It's a freedom thing

People should have the freedom to what they want for modification to their vehicles
    it's good be different from others and some people express their happiness with mods such as aftermarket exhaust systems.
    It doesn't physicly harm anyone it might not what other people like but who cares about other peoples thought on your vehicles.

• Gonna stop crying

Why don't you all stop crying and ruining peoples fun. Cars are loud so what. Wear a pair of ear plugs if you don't like the noise. Loud noise cos racecar brap brap brap brap brapb rap brap brap brap brap brap brap brap brap brap brapbrap brap brap brap brap brapbrap brap brapbrap brap stututututu

• It is what cars are about

Besides how the car looks, most of people like exhausts notes. From my perspective the way a car sounds is one of the most important things. Of course if its a four cylinder with a fart cannon. No i would not like that to be legal, but if it is a toyota supra or ford mustang or chevy corvette its ok to have a loud exhaust. Those cars sound amazing. If you hear it coming you are forced to turn your head and look at it as it goes by. It just might be my opinion but loud exhausts are peaceful to me, more peaceful than some electric car driving by considering you cant hear them, silent cars are more dangerous to, try to take that into acount.

• I believe that

If you want to have loud exhaust you can, but if you are going to be a douche bag and just rev your "good sounding" car all the frking time, i say no. All the world needs are more insane revving idiots who will cause a natural disaster, and don't even get me started on ricers...

• It's Been Around For A Long Time

Cars with loud exhaust have been around for a long time and we can't simply place strict bans/restrictions on them just because they have loud exhaust systems.If the car itself is loud when the engine is not revving at high RPMs then I can understand but it kills all the fun and raw driving experience that has been around for 70+ years.Therefore,I support keeping loud exhaust systems legal and the driver can rev it out every now and then but again, if it is exceptionally loud then it must be regulated to some degree.