• Censorship in music should exist

I don't want my children to be exposed to such filth, such as foul language, racist remarks, and sexual references. By having these censored, we are protecting the innocence of a child. Also, as an adult, I don't want that trash being heard by my ears. I think that if someone wants to hear that, they should buy the music and listen to it on their own. I shouldn't have to worry about what my child or myself may hear by flipping through radio stations. It is ridiculous. But like the Bible says, the devil is out to devour its prey like a lion...No wonder so many people are against censorship. As the end nears, the world will only become more and more corrupt. God help us all!

• Censorship is important!

Over the media, Pop and Rock music are one of the most heard genres of music. Songs about sex, drugs and partying has become a lot more common, so the lyrics have become more offensive to the listeners ear.
    There are many ways to censor music, such as beeping, disc scratching, skipping, distorting and many more. But these techniques are not used as often as they should.
    In this new generation, children as young as 7 years old are listening to, singing and talking about inappropriate music. This music has swearing and sexual references, and the parents are not aware of what their children are listening to.
    As you are growing up, you become the person that you were raised to be. If you raise your child to be brought up with disgusting, inappropriate music, then they will start swearing and getting involved with sexual activity far too early.
    Some artists have put into consideration of censoring their songs such as Lady Gaga, Eminem and Madonna. However, there are still many artists who do not censor their songs or music videos.
    It’s not just that children want to listen to the music, but they find it difficult to stay away from it. If children are listening to this kind of trash, then they will grow a custom to it and they will start playing such music to their children, and eventually, the world will be brainwashed by inappropriate, disgusting “music”.
    If you want to listen to it, then you can buy the CD or buy the song on iTunes instead of exposing it to young audiences.
    I don’t want children to be exposed to foul language and racial remarks. By having songs and music videos censored, we are keeping the innocent of the child. Parents shouldn’t have to worry about what their children are listening to.

• Maybe a little?

I think there should be some kind of censorship, because I honestly don't want to see my little cousins dancing to "BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY ROCKIN' EVERYWHERE," and it's because they don't understand the idea of reading lyrics to songs and deciding whether it has a deep meaning or not. Songs about sex and cars shouldn't be on their minds. Songs about loving life and living it to the fullest in good ways should. And when they are older, songs about preventing suicide and abuse hopefully end up on their playlists.

• Convincing the Wrong Way

Pop and rock music has become the most listened-to genre of music in this generation, and as its popularity grows, it is becoming a worse and worse influence on everybody that is listening to it. More and more kids, as young as eight years old, are starting to drink and do drugs. If you ask them why, their answer will usually be "Well this random pop star is doing it so why can't I?". This generation of pop music is disgusting! Almost every song I ever hear on the radio is glorifying sex, drugs, alcohol abuse, etc., etc. If we listen to it, our children will probably listen to it too, and we'll just end up as a bunch of idiots smoking pot on a street corner and listening to this terrible "music". Imagine being a parent, and walking in on your six year old kid listening to the radio through headphones and singing along at the top of his lungs to "Gotta Stay High"! What do you think that kid will grow up to be? A lawyer? A teacher? Or a drug dealer or some homeless guy repeating the same sorry story about how he should never have listened to what he heard on the radio or the TV? Join me in arguing for the health and sanity of our future generations in the simple act of neglecting this terrible influence on the young people in our lives! It's that easy, and think of how much nicer our home would be!

• Monkey see monkey do

It should be censored because singing out sex and drugs is not music. Its poison to the ear. And that poison children and young adults listen to it.
    Today’s music and its artists need to have certain restrictions and censorship laws since almost all today’s music influences it’s listeners to believe in living negative life styles and brain washes them into thinking it will bring them money and fame.
    It doesnt necessary mean it needs to be cencored rating music just like movies would be just fine. That would work great and peole can know what to listen to and what to not

• Music deserves some kind of censorship

Not all music needs censorship....But some still do. For the people that said no to censorship in music.
    I think that censorship should exist for only some music, but not all. As you argue about how censoring music inhibits the expressions and deep emotions conveyed in the song or piece, sometimes the song's lyrics would not be appropriate for certain ages. For example, the song "Do you Wanna F***" by Bye may not be "the best" song to play to a child around the ages of one to eleven years for obvious reasons such as the sexual content of the song. The age of which kids are exposed to music like the one above depends on the parent's judgement. The parent decides when and how their kid should be introduced to these new ideas. And yes, I understand your point (opposers) about how "if you don't like it, don't play it." But this also applies to you. If you don't like the censored song don't get it! And as I said in the beginning, NOT ALL music should be censored. You can still buy or download a full-on explicit song for yourself and you can enjoy your complete song with all the deep emotions.

Now for the people who voted yes to the existence of censorship in music. Yes I get why you want censorship and how you think that today's music will corrupt your child. I'm here to say that as long as you CLEARLY state that some songs are not to be taken literally and your child understands why; you should not have a major problem. For example, a song that encourages crime, rape, and dehumanization may have a great melody, but it's a song that you shouldn't take action on based from the lyrics. One should not be inspired to follow the ideas and actions the song has suggested. But some songs you SHOULD take a message from. An example of a song that should inspire is Katy Perry's "Firework." The song completely addresses how one should be proud of who they are and that life isn't just one mangled ball of chaos. I also believe that there is a point in a person's life where censorship is not needed. It's like the time your kid moves out from your house to tackle the world and make their own decisions about major parts in their lives.
    So yes. I do believe that censorship should exist in music but it should not apply for every song or version of that song (two versions of the same song; one censored, one not).

• There is a time and place for it.

There's a place for it when it comes to protecting children and /or vulnerable audiences. A discerning adult has no need for censorship, but young children do. It is completely inappropriate for children to listen to lyrics that swear, disrespect, arouse or abuse. They do as they see and hear when it comes to the adults in their world. If we are committed to having a generation of young people who do not bully, it starts with those over 18 providing respectful examples, not trash.

• I agree with censorship

In my opinion I say I would agree. I have two children, one who is a teenager and one who has just started kindergarten. Although my teen has been listening to some bizarre music, I do not allow that music to play loud for my 5 year old to hear. I don't think that all music should be censored since not all music is bad, or dehuminazing, but some songs that play now a days speaking of sex, demoralization, violence, drugs and even suicide should be censored. If a parent can communicate with their child, they can clearly state that all songs do not need to be taken literally, and explain why. For instance, a song that that promotes crime, rape, drugs, sex, and dehumanization may have a great beat to it, and may even want to make you get up and dance, but it is up to the parent to speak with your child and teach them that they should not follow the ideas and actions the song has suggested. On the same token, there are many songs that should inspire people, such as Beyonce's "I Was Here", or the song by Katy Perry's "Fireworks". These two artists convey songs about how one should be proud of who they are and have become, and also mentions how life is not always a bad thing, and how you can make it the best. In conclusion, I agree with the Doctrine of Ethos to a certain extent, it all depends on the maturity of the individual listening and up to the parents to be involved in our kids music and surroundings, and also communication is key with your child and you as a parent.
    I understand that the artist is an artist for that particular reason, and that is to be able to express themselves, which I agree with. The only thing that I wish an artist would have is more consideration towards our youth minds, and our children. Some of them do not have children yet, but when they do, they will understand where parents like myself are coming from. When they speak of drugs in a way that is positive, that is terrible, children are dying because of this. So in my opinion, I would agree that some censorship would be nice, but not everything should be censored either. The artist should be able to express themselves freely, with the exception of putting a song about violence and foul language on the same album as one that speaks of love and happiness. They should make 2 different albums, one censored for the youth still developing, and one uncensored for the mature listeners.

• Not all music needs censorship....But some still do.

For the people that said no to censorship in music.
    I think that censorship should exist for only some music, but not all. As you argue about how censoring music inhibits the expressions and deep emotions conveyed in the song or piece, sometimes the song's lyrics would not be appropriate for certain ages. For example, the song "Do you Wanna F***" by Byz may not be "the best" song to play to a child around the ages of one to eleven years for obvious reasons such as the sexual content of the song. The age of which kids are exposed to music like the one above depends on the parent's judgement. The parent decides when and how their kid should be introduced to these new ideas. And yes, I understand your point (opposers) about how "if you don't like it, don't play it." But this also applies to you. If you don't like the censored song don't get it! And as I said in the beginning, NOT ALL music should be censored. You can still buy or download a full-on explicit song for yourself and you can enjoy your complete song with all the deep emotions.

• No i shound't

We all cuss once i awhile and we all will learn about sex, drugs, and vinocle. Hvveb revervuiuh ehguvbeu5 g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g h h

• Music should not be censored.

I understand where all of you people who say "vote yes for censorship". But not everything is in your power. Yes, some music promotes drug sex, violence, gangs. Yes, some, rappers and singers don't care what the youth hear. They use music as a way to express how they feel. For example: one of there best friends die. They would make a track and dedicate it to them. Basically talking about what they meant to him/her or how they helped them. Eminem is a great example for this. Now, some of you are probably like "Eminem. You're wrong, he is like one of the worst influences for a child." Now, I do agree with you. He may be a bad influence, but he is one of the greatest rappers of all time (my opinion). All of his songs may have more swearing then you have done in your life, but it's not all bad. For example: Like Toy Soldiers, Sing For the Moment, Headlights, The Way I Am, and Not afraid. These are songs that have inner messages and deeper meaning. Not many people are able to notice these because they are too busy freaking out like "what did he say?". But if you took time to listen to these songs, obviously you have to get past the language and everything else, you'd know what I mean. Other songs though like: Fack, Just Lose It, and Superman aren't the best songs and, yes, I don't really agree with them being made, but hey, it is what it is. Also, I would like to point out what one of my friends had said. "People are dying because of the music they listen to." That's not true. What they listen to may be promoting a whole bunch of things, but the decide how to act on what they hear. They may know better, but that artist could be so people that (the child in question) there reasoning is 'well he's a famous person carrying a gun, why can't I?" WE CAN STOP THIS. If a parent took time to explain that that's not okay or to not take songs literally when they hear them then we wouldn't have that problem (or it would be less of a problem). The last point I would like to make is that parents are trying to hide themselves by them preventing their kids from listening to that music. Now, before you disregard this statement, take a second to look in the mirror. I know that most of you have experimented with things while you were younger (whether that would be drugs, sex, violence or crime). Also, a lot of you probably swear or have sworn in your lifetime. If you haven't either you have been taught not to use those words and don't like to use those or just denying it to yourself.
    (More on a second comment)

• The true solution is MEDIA LITERACY, not censorship!

The idea of censoring is repressive. Society moves forward thanks to controversial ideas, and censoring only inhibits this and leads to unrest. The TRUE solution to it all so to teach media literacy to children, meaning they will understand what they are hearing/reading/seeing and thinking of it critically. This is such an important trait for every single person to apply to everything in their lives, yet somehow so many parents forget that this is even an option for their kids and instead want to "protect" from the work which they will eventually need to face. By teaching our children these skills they wouldn't need protection from parents as they would know how to approach everything in the world with a critical and objective eye!

• Its not always to be foul...

I can see both sides of the debate, but all in all i say no censorship. For example this " foul" language isn't always to be foul, but more as a way for artists to express themselves. Also, as many stated before, if you don't want your children exposed to these forms of music, simply put restrictions on THEIR music, not everyone else's.

• These people WANT to listen to it! And if you dont....Then dont.

Simply do not listen to it or keep it in your house -or just keep it away from your children. If u shelter a teenager that bad then you might as well take them out of school, because trust me ,as a teen, nowhere is safe for teenagers, so might as well let them like what they like!

• We Do Not Need Censorship!

Although there are a lot of things in music/media that many people would argue are inappropriate for children, censorship really isn't helping anyone. It's actually shielding children from reality thus making them weak. If we are not exposed to the so called derogatory and provocative lyrics and music videos then we will not be prepared for what happens in the real world. You cannot protect your children from everything so you might as well prepare them for it. Censorship in music is not protecting your children, but instead it's hurting them in the long run. If you want to protect them, prepare them, don't shield them. Also, censorship in music is really hurting the artists. They choose music to express themselves and censorship doesn't allow them to do that. You choose to express yourself in whatever way you like, so let them do the same (obviously for the people who believe it should exist). If you do believe that it should then just yourself this question, wouldn't it make more sense that being exposed to uncensored music would actually make us better prepared for reality? And isn't it better to allow people to express themselves in their own ways? Ask yourself that and think about it, hopefully you change your mind and realize that censorship is not beneficial for anyone.
    Thanks and have a great day.

Posted by: EJ
  • I Say No

I understand that some people don't like to hear about that kind of stuff and that children should not have to be exposed to things that are inappropriate for them but for the people that do like that music and have the brain power to understand that they shouldn't really do what the song says its great!!! I listen to what people consider "devil music" and it has helped me through a lot! So I don't appreciate people hating on the thing I love!

• Music is a free expression

Music is a free expression of the ideas, traditions and emotions of individuals and of peoples. It may express musicians’ hopes and aspirations, their joys and sorrows, their very identity as a culture. Yet these expressions may conflict with those of people in power. The ideas themselves may simply be unpopular or outside the current thinking or practices of a regime or special interest group. For there are those the world over who are threatened by the very nature of a free exchange of ideas. There are those who will stop at nothing to stifle them.

• Its your choice

To listen to that type of music, and you should be able to affect others lives because of your own opinion. The first amendment states that we have the freedom of speech and musician should have the right to say what they want. They are only trying to get accross their point of what is wrong with the world or how great it is. So if you don't like it change the channel/station and be responsible for you not others.

• I disagree with censorship

Censoring the music takes away from the message that each song has. Cus words can really emphasize how important something is to the artist. Cus words aren't even that bad. Who cares if you drop an f bomb, its just a word, its not hurtin anyone. On top of that, it doesn't stop the artist from talkin bout sex and drugs, all they gotta do is be less strait forward with what they say. Censorship is not preventing kids from hearing all kinds of messed up stuff. Trust me I would know I'm one of em.

• I don't think any type of music should be censored.

Why should music be censored ? I understand both sides of the argument. I can see where some who say music should be censored because of the children but, I say they are going to here about a lot of things like sex and drugs from somewhere at some point in their lives. I get it tho. Try to protect the kids from hearing the stuff until they are older. My mom was the same way in some ways. However, when I asked her about anything she told me the truth and didn't hide anything from me and because of that I grew up knowing what to expect and choosing to make the right decision. I say don't censor anything because if you try to hide things it makes kids want to do things like drugs sooner. Just be straight with your children and let them know how the "real" world is.