Should charities reject donations from "bad" people?

Asked by: diddleysquat
  • Donations to charity can be used for "bad" purposes.

Donating large sums of money to charities removes a large amount of money from the income tax, seeing as charity is tax-deductible. Basically, allowing tax evaders to donate to charity is just helping them to pay less taxes, and therefore, make the council an local government systems weaker.
    Also, charity is a great method of money laundering, as it allows people to quickly get rid of ill-gotten money and makes them look like saints. I personally don't think that the Mafia and tax evaders should be allowed to look like "good" people when they are really only helping themselves by donating to charities.

• They can't be all bad if they are donating to charity

Donating to charity is a good thing which helps people. So if someone who is bad donates to charity at least they are doing something good. We don't encourage people to become better by stopping them from doing the good things, only be stopping them from doing the bad things,

• I don't think so.

The UCLA returned / rejected a $3M donation for kidney research from Donald Sterling because his "divisive and hurtful comments demonstrate that he does not share UCLA's core values." If I needed a kidney, I for one couldn't care less if Charles Manson was the donor. Keep the money, I say.

• Beggars can't be choosers

I'm not really saying that charities are beggars, but if the money is gonna be put to whatever good use, I'd take the money from Hitler himself. At the end of the day, especially for charity organizations, money is money. The person behind the money doesn't matter. I'm sure a charity based around African Americans will accept money from a spitting, hateful racist just as quickly as they would from Martin Luther King himself

• Let he who is without sin cast the first brick

Are any of us good purely. None of us are without imperfections. Who are we to say who's the bad people donating. We all have been capable of pure evil. We shouldn't turn down anyone. The person you think is bad can be the one who actually is good-natured. Leave the judging of the heart to God.