• Cheerleading is not all Pom-Poms

Cheerleading is actually a very dangerous activity if not done properly. Just as a footaball player can get a concussion on the field, a cheerleader can fall from the top of a pyramid, or get hurt just by simply falling incorrectly from a jump. If cheerleading is not a sport, than neither is gymnastics or acrobatics.

• It is a sport

Dance is considered a sport in a way, and cheerleading is exactly the same. You have to learn routines, you have to be agile and certainly not everyone can do it.
    People say that it is only for 'bimbos' and 'dumb blondes' but a lot of people cannot dance at all and a lot of cheerleading requires a lot of training and some knowledge of gymnastics.

• Without a doubt.

To excel in this activity, a person must be physically fit and have considerable endurance. Many of those who participate in this sport, spend as much if not more time working out, then the team players they often cheer for. Anyone who has ever participated or watched cheer competitions at any level, knows that this is a sport or athletic activity.

• Cheerleading is indeed a sport.

Cheerleading may have emerged as a promotion for other sports players, but today, it is no different than synchronized swimming or marching band in terms of athletics. If you've seen professional cheerleaders, you'll see that what they do is not just chant rhymes or wave pom-pons. They are serious dancers and gymnasts. They deserve as much dignity and respect as any other kind of performer.

• Cheerleading is a sport!

A sport is something that requires physical activity and competition. There is this thing called "Allstar Cheerleading" and it is competitive, in fact, they go all the way to WORLD competitions! Cheerleading has an element of gymnastics, with all the flips and handsprings that they do. Also, cheerleaders do stunting, which involves throwing people up into the air! That requires lots of skill.

• Of course cheer is a sport!

Cheer is just like other accepted sports - for example, having practices that are hours long, representing schools at competitive events, and risking injury are all characteristics typical of cheer that make it a sport. It requires the exact amount of dedication of drive to be a cheerleader as it does to be, say, a basketball or football player. Obviously, cheerleading is a sport!

• Cheerleading Is A Sport

Cheerleading is an intense physical activity in which involves many dangerous stunts. Cheerleaders are often expected to work out at practice (i.E. Running, etc.) 3-4 times a week to stay in best physical condition before weekly games. Also, many people consider bowling and golfing to be a sport (when a person in a wheelchair can do such things), so why not consider cheerleading being one?

• I Know what it fells like

I am a cheerleader for Hagerstown Heat allstars. Cheer is a sport! You dont know how hard it is to left someone and tumble and jump for 2:30. It may be a short amount of time but it goes very slow for us. Go to this link, and watch us perform. Then tell me its not a sport. U try it!! If you never been in my shoes then dont say its not a sport. Its harder than you think okay....And we dont just do it to prance around in tight skirts and wear make-up. We do it because we have a passion for it. I would LLOOOVVEE to see you try to lift someone over your head. Some people do it BY THEIR SELVES!!! You condition like no tomorrow and practice CRAZZY!!

• I Know what it fells like

• Cheerleading takes so much dedication and hard work.

Cheerleading is a sport that is physically demanding. It takes a lot of hard work, team spirit, and exercise. So I believe that high school cheer is a sport? Not really. I do believe that competitive cheer is a sport and should be classified as so. Cheerleading, as a sport, is an overall needing, demanding SPORT.

• No of course not

Cheerleading is not a sport. There is no competition. No talent. Skimpy outfits. Waste of time. Just another excuse to let your daughters parade around in skimpy short tight fitting spandex. Exposing her to the world to be stared at by perverted. So you who say yes need to become responsible parents.

• Cheerleading is not a sport

You only cheer for other team. You put on makeup ,you do not get points and there are no rule. If cheer leading is a sport then football teams and other sport teams should NOT have cheer leaders.I will agree that it involves physical activity, but that alone does not make it a sport. I agree they work hard but how hard is it to jump and scream not very hard

• You can't score cheer

No not a sport no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• Not a Sport

The verb to sport meant to have fun at first. Following this definition, anything that is fun would be considered "sport". However, by modern standards I do not believe that cheerleading should be considered a sport. I will agree that it involves physical activity, but that alone does not make it a sport. Games such as "tag" or "capture the flag" involve physical activity. Also, all sports have a certain goal in mind to achieve victory. The only point of cheerleading is to do flips and cheer, which is not a real goal in my opinion.

• Cheerleading isn't a sport

Because cheerleading is not always competitive but all other sports actually are competitive. If cheerleading were a sport, less people would do it because the only reason people do it is because its not competitive. It takes different physical needs that are not exactly competitive "skills". Not everyone knows how to play basketball naturly but it doesn't take much to be able to do a split.

• Cannot be Compared

Cheerleading does involve physical activity, but can it really be compared to sports such as water polo or rugby? It should not be put in the same catagory as these sports that have an actual objective, whereas cheerleading does not. Sad to say it, but their routines are almost equivalent to that of a strippers when they are not doing stunts. I can shake my butt too, but I don't go around calling it a sport. I play water polo and I can definitely say that my practices are 100 times harder than theirs and I am not worried about looking cute during one of my games.

• Cheerleading originates from "cheering on" men's athletics.

At best it is a niche sport. But certainly won't ever be any kind of mainstream sport.

Also, there is a reason that women have their own division in every popular sport they compete in... The vast majority of Men are simply bigger, stronger, and faster than their female counterparts.

• I'm kinda on the fence with this one...

I know their is such a thing as competitive cheer leading. So really it should be considered a sport, I just don't like the fact that most people do consider it a sport. If cheer leading is a sport then football teams and other sport teams should NOT have cheer leaders. People are their to watch the other more interesting sport not see you scream and jump around.

• Cheer? Not a sport.

Depending on the type of cheer . I agree they work hard but how hard is it to jump and scream not very hard . I admit that competitive cheer is hard , but if it was a sport , how come the government said it wasn't. Cheer leading overall isn't a sport but id say competitive cheer has the possibility to become a sport