• Chess develops children's creativity and analysis: which we need in the world

From being taught how to play chess from age 4, I had learned that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't beat my dad...However, several years later after training I finally overcame him in the battle of wits. Chess is a great confidence booster and teacher of respect and sportsmanship. The only reason someone would say that children shouldn't be taught chess is someone who themselves are simple-minded and only focused on preserving the option of having children be able to do different things with their time compared to if we taught them lessons that they could use for the rest of their lives.

• Chess Is Fun And Makes You Think Outside The Square

It keeps every player on the edge till the end, while no one can know for sure what the final outcome will be.
    It makes the players think outside the square by forcing them to keep on looking to think ahead and ask themselves questions as to why, how or what, etc..

• I say Yes.

Not many people realize chess is much more than a game. It teaches so many life skills. It teaches about respect, honor, responsibility, sportsmanship, planning ahead, critical thinking, never giving up, and so many more. It also increases the chances of improving academically, and creates a social environment for students.

• I say Yes.

Chess needs to be in the schools. Not many people realize that chess is more than just a game. Chess teaches life skills. It teaches about respect, honor, planning ahead, dealing with consequences, sportsmanship, critical thinking, never to give up, and so many more. Also chess helps students academically, and it creates a social environment.

Me personally, I hated chess when I started playing, but after seeing my friends play I wanted to learn to play with them, and its opened my mind to a whole new world.

• Yes I think

So anything to improve the weak educational standards in the USA according to latest american research Europeans are totally dominant in there educational levels and are receiving far superior education . So there is a problem and if this can in some way increase there educational standards it's a good thing .

• More than a Game

Yes, Chess is a game. However, Chess is an educational game, requiring a significant amount of brain power. It combines strategy, memory, and many other skills. Chess is a classic game in the United States. Everyone should know how to play anyway, but if Chess is taught in school, then it is learned at an age when the human brain is still developing the most.

• Yes chess should be required in U.S. schools

I think now is the time to make chess a requirement in U.S. Schools as it would teach children important analytical and critical thinking skills that they so desperately need. The game of chess challenges kids to think to a higher level, and they can in turn to that new knowledge into play in classes.

• No, because it doesn't matter.

Why does it matter? I mean chess might be a good challenge game, but it doesn't help much. Kids like different things and subjects, for example, like me, I like music, but others are different. Everyone should have their freedom, including kids. That is the main reason I voted NO.

• Chess should not be required in U.S. schools.

Chess, like football, baseball, academic super bowls, and all other activities should not be forced. Some people find chess very boring and confusing. To force someone to partake could be met with some strong defiance. Chess stretches the horizon of the brain, but it's a lot like liberal math.Some get it, some dont

• There are too amy requirements

Schools are already expected to teach students to read and write, speak clearly, do maths, science, history, geography, study of society, health, swimming, physical education, other languages, art, music, drama, dance, typing, computer skills and business skills. There are not enough hours in a day to be adding more requirements.

• Chess should not be a school activity.

I believe that chess should not be a school activity because it distracts kids form there school work. It can lead to physical fighting because there is nothing for them to take there anger out on like a basketball. Another reason is because kids will start to go crazy from sitting in a quiet room for so long.

• Chess is not needed in schools

Chess takes a LONG time and that time could be spent doing much more important things such as going outside or doing something more creative or imaginative as chess is a slow paced game. There is a big discussion that chess should be part of the everyday school curriculum, I know it doesn’t have much to do with us as homeschoolers but it could do something big to the everyday world.This is a worldwide debate happening all over the world, Britain, America, Australia and more are thinking about it but Russia is already doing it and is taking it very seriously. Australian Economist John Adams stated in the ABC news that chess would be great in the school curriculum here in Australia and he has said everything good about it, but what he did not say was the bad things. On Debate.Org there are a lot of separate debates on this topic, so here is a couple that actually show the other side of the coin. Chess is not for everyone some people get it some people don't, If it in the school curriculum then that means that everyone has to play it because you cant just skip maths in school or English so that means that thats another boring hour doing something you don't get. Another statement said that in schools they are already learning Math, English, Science, Geography, PDHPE, Society studies, Health, Language, Art, Drama, business skills, computer skills, reading , writing, speaking clearly, swimming, the list goes on and on and on, but all of that and more is fit into only five days from 8:30 to 3:00 in the afternoon. Not even the homework will count with all of those subjects.