Should Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke be found guilty in the murder of Laquan McDonald?

• Yes, I believe that Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke should be found guilty in the murder of Laquan McDonald.

Yes, I believe that Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke should be found guilty in the murder of Laquan McDonald. As the recently released police video of the event exposes, Laquan was shot sixteen times by Officer Van Dyke. This is excessive and unwarranted force, especially since it has come to light that MacDonald was armed only with a small knife and was not approaching Van Dyke with it when the officer started shooting.

• It is not open season on Americans when you have a badge

The fact that this police officer rode up to the scene and in an amount of only seconds opens fire and shoots this young man sixteen times without full assessment of the situation, is abysmal. There was time to deescalate the situation by using a taser or baton if the opportunity presented itself. The young man did not charge at anyone and based on the video he was headed away from them, so there was no need to shoot him down so viciously. Several of the shots were through his back when he was on the ground and the threat was eliminated. It was beyond overkill. This officer violated his civil rights by escalating the situation to an execution.

• Yes, excessive force was used on an incapicatated person.

Yes, I believe that Officer Van Dyke committed murder by shooting McDonald sixteen times. The video from his car showed that McDonald was on the ground as Officer Van Dyke continued to shoot him. The officer's life was not in danger and excessive force was not warranted. I believe that his department's unwillingness to release the video, proves that his fellow officers also believed that what Office Van Dyke did was unnecessary and wrong.

• Absolutely...You won't get an argument out of me

There is no reason you shoot someone 16 times (14 while on the ground) when A) they aren't anywhere near you, and walking away from you, B) aren't armed and C) not an immediate threat to anyone else. I don't care who you are, you NEVER shoot someone when they are down, EVER! On top of that, he wrote a false police report to try and cover it up. He said he "feared for his life" and LaQuan "lunged at him." Clearly that didn't happen and he's just using the "feared for his life" defense as a kind of automatic response whenever a cop kills an unarmed civilian. This former officer is a monster, murderer, horrible cop and deserves nothing more then to spend the rest of his ugly life in prison with no chance of ever getting out. That's right, if I were the prosecutor, I'd try for consecutive life sentences. No way this man walks. Not after that egregious video was released

• A death occurred

Being an officer does not come with an automatic license to kill. If the knowledge of a policeman has done the shooting and replaced with the word citizen there would public demands of justice in short order. As a citizen, my feelings are, that there would be no wasted time in making an arrest.

• No motive for murder.

Everything has three things. Motive, means, and opportunity. Clearly the officer had is gun and was at the scene so he did have means and opportunity but what was his motive to shooting McDonald? According to Van Dyke, McDonald was armed so posed a threat to his or other officers lives. Fact is, he was armed and refused to drop the knife. They even had to kick the knife out of his hand after being shot and that too is part of the video. Also, what is known, is that McDonald used the knife on police vehicles so would likely be aggressive towards officers with the knife given the chance. Another thing that is known is that McDonald had PCP in his system. I have seen videos of other people on PCP and it shows that they not only can be overly violent but have a very high pain tolerance. Combine that with having a weapon and you have all the ingredients of a suspect who would put an officers life at risk. If that was the officers motive, then I can't see him being guilty of murder. What other motives could there be? Let me guess, race? He had been a police officer for 14 years, so this is not the first time he had the means or opportunity to shoot a black person so that can't be it.
    Seeing that there was no motive for murder, how can we charge him with it.