Should children be protected from indoctrination into religions until they have the mental self awareness to comprehend the beliefs which they are being indoctrinated into?

Asked by: 0135719186420
  • Yes, it is intellectually dishonest to teach children that something is true with no evidence. It is damaging to intellectual growth and rational thinking.

Teach your children about the good deeds of Jesus, but don't pretend that he was supernatural and that the miracles in the bible are anything other than Myths. Zeus, Moses and Jesus should not be taught any differently. When children learn about geology or evolution they should not be upset with their teachers and classmates for making them feel wrong about the origins of the Universe, it is their parents and religion fault for being dishonest.

• Indoctrination is dangerous and causes lifelong psychological debilitation

The government was created to protect us. The fact of the matter is that everyone is more concerned about the parents right to indoctrinate their children than the right that the children have to not be forced into another person's belief. I don't believe that children should be allowed to go to church until they are 16 and fully capable of understanding what is being taught. Parents could certainly still go to church and I'm sure an entire industry of 'Sunday daycares' would be started. The fact is that many disfunctional adults were created by parents touting this bizarre concept of original sin and that you're born 'sick'. If you tell someone they are disgusting and horrible enough, they will start to believe you. If you tell a child that, they will believe you instantly.

• Absolutely, because they will not know better.

Children are incredibly impressionable, and at young ages will believe whatever their parents put into their minds. It will dull their own intelligence and ability to think for themselves.

My mother is Christian, so I grew up believing in God. But my father is atheist, so he offered me an opposing viewpoint and as I grew older and more independent, I accepted it. I am Atheist now, and because of my own logic and discoveries.

Most households do not have parents from different religions, so they have no reason to question the religion they are raised under and their beliefs will only get stronger and stronger because they have no reason not to. By the time they have the power to question things independently, they will believe so strongly in that religion that they will not question it. This is bad because then they will make excuses to believe what they were taught to believe so they can stay in their comfort zone.

• Why we have so many religions claim they are the truth

When you ingrain religion into a child's life from the age where they cant even speak you are forcing them to grow into something they are truly unaware of. It doesn't matter if that's your child. That doesn't exclude them from being a human and having human rights. If you want to teach religion to children it should be allowed when they are at an age proved to be accountable for their own thoughts. I truly being born into religion is brainwashing because you know none else, but what you were taught. We need to learn for ourselves things pertaining to God or religious matters not just accept into our minds what someone, even if it was our parents, told us. No one is always right, not even parents.

• Children are not property

Parents have the right to protect their children, however children are very impressionable. When beliefs are instilled into a child's mind, they stick with the person almost forever (unless they learn to be skeptical and decide to go against that belief). When these religious beliefs are put into the minds of children, it is not their belief but that of their parents. This is brainwash. Children should be taught about religion, but not taught to believe in one because you can not, or should not, teach belief. Children have vast imagination which they should explore their own minds, which are not property of the parents.

• It's Their Life.

I see a lot of arguments saying that as parents, they have a right to raise their child whatever way they want. Which is true, but as GOOD parents, you want to give them the freedom of how they want to live their life. Maybe you have joined this religion because you believe it is right, but how do you know this IS the right one? There are so many other religions all claiming they are the right one, but how do we know? If you want to take them to church, and teach them all about your beliefs, by all means, do so! But really, as parents you can only guide them in the path you want them to take. If you want your child to be a doctor, but your child just really wants to be a singer, are you going to force them to become one? Maybe you can tell them that being a doctor will save many lives and is a good job, but in the end, you should let them follow their dream. Likewise, if your child says "Thank you for teaching me this, but I just feel that this religion is the right one to me", then let them join! Actually, if it's a dangerous cult, then don't (obviously) but if it's just another common religion, why not? I don't think it's fair to force someone to join a certain religion when they don't even fully comprehend what they're joining.

• It depends how you do it.

Parents should be able to teach their children about their religious faith if they wish, but they should NOT force them to accept it as their own. Religious parents too often force their children to believe as they do, and this is a problem; freedom of religion should apply to everyone and in every circumstance.

Although I do understand that the horrible belief in the existence of a literal Hell might be the reason why so many parents are forcing christianity on their children, I still believe that children should be free to believe what they want to believe.

• Definitely, as Indoctrination Destroys Intelligence:

There are some on DDO who have definitely had their Intelligence destroyed by early childhood indoctrination.
    Parents think that they are just teaching their child religion with a deterrent and reward scheme to force belief, but, in fact, what they are really doing is destroying their child's ability to think rationally and critically in the future. This is a form of severe mental abuse and they are producing intellectually retarded adults.

• Yes but not because its their own

Just because its your kid doesn't mean you can do anything you want with him or her. Parents should teach their child everything they believe is correct and getting your child in the habit of going to church and becoming religious makes the child more moral. Plus the child feels what it is like to have a belief and follow it.

• Freedom of choice is a right given at birth to all, and through life.

Regulating such a thing gives more power to the government which is already a dangerous tactic in allowing things far worse to brainwash our children like sexual commercials on TV, or disgusting music promoting violence, abuse, and personal endangerment.

Would you rather let your child run off freely, and be like "ok son go play by the edge of the dock and I will teach you nothing about how your life is in danger so you can die."

If parents have something to teach to their children they should be allowed to do so freely. Whether it is ideology, Philosophy, beliefs, or morals. We should be able to tell our children about having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for.

In the end it is for the children to find the meaning behind our words, and then decide. They will find themselves, and their future. What they will choose in that future when they are old enough will be the true them. They will choose what to believe in when they become old enough.

So sure we can teach our religions to them, but they will still have the power to grow up, and say what I learned in that religion is not for me, or is. For it is up to the parents to choose what is worth passing on, and they should be allowed to pass on their religion if they deem it is worth it to indoctrinate their children into the religion then let them do just that.

• Parents may teach their children.

I believe that parents should be able to teach their Children their beliefs and take them to Church (or whatever it is for the religion) with them. It is the parents choice of how they want to raise their children, and the government doesn't need to tell them what to do.

• Its their child

Yes you can take YOUR child to your church you have the right to raise them your way. No one else can tell you how to parent your own child. Those that say no are those who have left their religion or are atheist this is a pretty clear cut debate where those are those opposers.

Lavenshire says2014-06-16T03:22:06.920
The objective of a parent in raising their child is simple, raise a healthy child who's actions and views fall under what I as the parent deem as appropriate. While raising a child the parents may choose to emerse the child within the religion with all its customs and beliefs, or they may not.

If the child is indoctrinated into religion from birth all the way through their childhood and early adulthood then religion is all they know.
For those who belive in god only because it was what they were taught whilst at church and at home but never really gave any of the other aspects to their religion any thought, these men and women may go on as normal people. For the extremely religious who believe in creationism as total truth then the child may grow up with the belief that the existance of god is unquestionably true and the same is true for the origins of the universe and all of the implications that come with that belief. The child may be a normal law-abiding citizen but what they have is a hole in their critical thinking. What has happened is that at one point their mental growth they were taught, "despite what anyone tells you, here are some of the things that are true, because it is in this book and I believe it to be true" .For the rest of the childs life everything the see and hear gets filtered first and foremost through their religious beliefs and if it does not fit with what they believe it is immidiately thought of as false, then the reasons come later. This type of thinking not only impacts religion, but their critical thinking in general. The child may grow up to to be unbelievebly confident about their non-religious beliefs because they have been taught that not everything needs a reason or even evidence to be true, somethings are just true. I would like to point out this is not true for all religious people, only extremists.

If a child is raised to think critically as a child and to exercise this as they get older, they will learn not to except claims based on a shakey foundation not exclusively but still including religion. If the child still choose to go down the religious path than that is their choice because critical thinking does not exclude religion. Some people have belief or faith only in the existance of a god, which can actually not be disproved, but do not perscribe to the rest of the beliefs that go along with religion. However, it is hard to see how a logical and pragmatic thinker with no religious predisposition can approach religion can be for it, but it still happens.
Sagey says2014-06-16T05:39:28.147
Informing a child of your beliefs and just taking them along with you to church is not Indoctrination, Indoctrination is forcing them to have the same beliefs as your religion wants them to, by reward, and fear of punishment. It is a form of brainwashing or mind control.
That is what we oppose, just saying to a Child, I believe in this and leaving it up to the child as to whether accept or not is not Indoctrination.
Indoctrination is saying, You must believe or else, damnation, pain, excommunication or we will disown you (such as the Jehovah Witnesses do) is Indoctrination.