• Children should read!

It is vital that children read books, I think it is key to a good education both in school and socially. All children should be positively encouraged by schools and at home to read more books. There are clear links between the children that read and the highest achievers. Lets all attempt to change the current generations attitude towards books.

• Children should read

Children should be required to read more in school. With technology has come the decline of the English language. Most young adults coming out of high school can't spell or use proper grammar. Language is important for communication, and society functions well when people can understand each other. Books also provide children with ideas, knowledge and imagination, all of which are required for a society to advance.

• Reading: Too important to be left in the hands of children, parents

In a time where many school districts are left with limited budgets and dwindling enrollment, implementing an increased reading requirement would serve to benefit students and the school districts themselves. Many can agree that reading is beneficial - increased reading levels correlates to higher test scores (statewide tests). It is often the case that the higher the scores, the more funding school districts receive from the state and federal government.

• Reading is the Key to an Education

Children should read more in and out of school. Reading is the key to getting a good education as it opens up the path to everything else. If kids can't read, they don't learn science, math and health. Children need to be able to read to broaden their minds in class, at home and on the Internet.

• Reading is important

Children these days are exposed to a lot of media that is not particularly intellectually stimulating: TV, movies, pop music, and so on. It is essential for the growth of a young mind to counterbalance all this with something that is likely to promote critical and creative thinking, as well as illustrate proper spelling and grammar. Reading-- actual reading, not reading a text message-- does all of these things.

• Spelling & Vocabulary

Kids should most definitely be required to read more. This is because it expands childrens' vocabulary, and helps them with spelling words. I used to despise reading; I avoided it as much as possible. However, once my teacher sat me down and forced me (kindly) to read a book aloud, it was the best time of my life. I've loved reading ever since. All you need to do is to pick out a book of your desired genre. Whether it's fiction, non-fiction, realistic fiction, etc. Some good book recommendations are Wonder, Before I Fall, the Harry Potter series, the Divergent Trilogy, and Stung. Although they have slight mature content at times, it's simply amazing. And believe me, the Harry Potter series is not as confusing as people make it out to be. It's emotional, it's action packed, it has some romance in there too. These books are somewhat advanced as well, and that is why I have a very advanced vocabulary and can spell better than most people.

• Spelling & Vocabulary

Posted by: Nari
  • Becouse they should

Y h y yh h h h h h h h h h h hh hh h hhbcmnbchv kj kmfjnbvfgnjgdggne jhjghjhgtbjwj ghe uh uh uh tru h u tu uht uth urht uhu t ujt uht uh uj juh uj uthuht ujth juu jt ujtujtyu jty u tyu y uy ubyes

• Becouse they should

• Learning duh ...

Kids need to atlest one chapter book a month but for me about one chapter book a week but if a child is reading a fictional book thats fine but they need to read alot of nofiction book to learn
    plus im in 6 grade and i read books that are ment for 12 grade that proves i read alot :)

• Key Word: Required

I don't think that children should be "required" to read more. I believe that they should read, because it is good to, but if children don't want to read, don't make them! If someone tries to make a child read, and that child doesn't want to, the child would just hate reading even more.

• Um i dont think so

I used to read a lot in 5th grade, i mean a lot. Everytime my parents told me if i wanted to go out, i told them no i have to read. I didnt even have time to go out or work on other important subjects. I think kids should read but not a lot like i used to do.

• If you read, great things will happen

If you read a lot, you will have increased focus, set goals, spend time wisely, memory skills, educated, and relaxed more. You will be creative. You will be part of an endless conversation, and itjust makes you think, nobody can tell you how to read a book. If you use you imagination, great things will happen.

• Children should not have to read because its there life and they chose what they want to do.

If children don't like to read, forcing children to read will make them oppose reading more. If children don't want to do something why should we force them to read, it's there life and there choices and it's there life. This is there life they should live it how they want.

• As a 7th grade student doing a persuasive essay on the topic

I believe (After reading both sides of this debate) that reading is not to be enforced. Yes I understand that reading more extends you're vocabulary and I'm a major reader myself. But around me many students fall behind in reading and get lunch detention, demerits and after school as a result. I'm fightin for the others who I believe should be punished because they can't make time at home because of their probable busy schedule. Thats just my opinion though it doesn't have to agree with your's.

• Just look at the picture for the topic....

If you looked at the pic, like i did, you saw kids reading happily. They were reading something they liked. Now imagine if you throw a new book to read like a classic, which they don't like, instead of giving them their own free choice. If they like zombies, and you wanted to give them romance, do you think they would look so interested, would that promote reading? No it wouldn't because they aren't reading zombies. If you want to give them romance, then wait till they grow out of zombies and get interested in something like vampires. Then you could give them the book "Twilight" because it is based on vampires. They affect the plot.

P.S I am a kid

• Children Read Everywhere They Go

I do not think there is any reason to push kids to read more than they already do. My son is in second grade and they currently have two extra promotional games they are playing to win free pizzas and tickets to Six Flags, just for reading additional material. I believe if children aren't reading enough it is the parents fault.

• No No No.......

Kids shouldn't be REQUIRED to read books they have no interest in because they will have to be forced to read something they really don't like and will be more picky on the novels they read. For example, lets say KID A likes to read "modern" books. If you through a classic at him as summer reading, he will do anything to not read it while he has time. And if the parent forces him to read if he wants to read a modern book. That's a note to him that says that he shouldn't mention about books until the end of summer. Which means that no reading will be done whatsoever and he will still have last years vocabulary when writing instead of the new words he could have probably learned if he read the modern book.

Ps Im a kid who reads because my parents give me a free choice of books

• So Easy to Say "Yes" But Look Again

The question is asking whether children should be "required" to read more. That implies that there is either a governmental or scholastic stipulation for children to read more in order to pass certain gates in their life. While anyone will say the more you read the better (and I agree), I think the "requirement" portion of this should rest in the hands of the parents of these children. The parents at that point in their lives should know how valuable reading is, and they should be the ones enforcing a certain level of reading, rather than placing the burden on schools and/or other rules and regulations facilities.