• Yes, we should spank

Look at our society today, are we better off now than we were 20 years ago? No we are not! Our schools are a war zone because parents refuse to let the school paddle their kids when they are out of control. Kids are getting away with murder because parents didn't spank their child and let them know right from wrong. My parents spanked me and their parents before them did the same. Did they have the problems in society that we do today? Once again no they didn't because parents taught their kids to behave or else there would be severe consequences. Wake up people! Take a stand and take back control of your kids. Its legal to spank those out of control kids. Do it now before our country is in ruin.

• Yes

As a child that was spanked, I say spanking is completely acceptable. To a certain degree a parent should be free to discipline their children as they see fit. I do believe, however, that spanking should never be done out of anger. It should be done when the parent is in a completely emotion-free state of mind and it should be stressed to the child that it is being done for their own good and not out of anger.

• yes

I think that spanking is not hurting. It helps to keep the child under control. If a kid gets spanked they know not to do what they just did. Words do not always work. Look at the world now most kids do not listen to words, there needs to be a lot of spanking done in my book. It helps the child to understand its pain not to do it again or I will get spanked.

• Discipline is a Personal Choice

Parents have the right to discipline their children as they see fit. Spanking is a form of physical discipline. Its effectiveness is a matter for another debate. Spanking is not abusive in and of itself. The lessons learned by kids from their parents may be harsh thanks to spanking, but the method makes a clear statement. I don't like seeing kids spanked in public as much as anyone else, but parents have the right to do so.

• Spanking works wonders in some children

I was the kind of child that spanking corrected my wrong behavior. I remember getting spanked just a few times as a child and after the spanking, I felt a sense of relief and love for my mom flood through me. After I was spanked, My mom would hug me close and tell me she loved me and ask me if I'd learned my lesson. I'd lay my head against her and say, "Yes" and tell her I loved her.
    I understand why some parents are reluctant to spank, especially now that I have a little nine month old baby girl. I smack her hand and tell her, "No" firmly when she grabs my earrings or something else she's not supposed to grab. It breaks my heart to smack her little hand, but I have to teach her what the word No means.
    I feel like spanking should only be done in children 9 months to around 6 years old because once a child reaches the age of seven, it becomes possible to reason with them. Piaget showed that children under the age of seven aren't able to reason very well. I think that in order to establish a parents' complete authority, they need to spank their child instead of reason with them. That way, their child doesn't argue or talk back. However, when they reach the age or seven or eight, if you've spanked and set a good example, usually a parent just has to talk to their child and the child will comply.
    The mistake that many parents make, I think, is that they don't "spank" in the right way. Many don't spank hard enough. For instance, imagine you are in the grocery store and your three year old throws a tantrum because they want candy. The best thing is to whisper in their ear and tell them that you will spank them if they don't stop. If they yell or kick even one more time, very calmly take them out of the cart and take them home. Take them to the bedroom and explain to them that you love them, but that screaming in the grocery store bothers other patrons and tell them that because they threw a fit, you are going to spank them very hard. Don't use your hand, Use a wooden spoon or a fly swatter and spank them until they cry. After they cry, give them a few seconds and then hug them and ask if they've learned not to throw a tantrum and tell them you love them. Repeat if it happens again.
    If a child throws a tantrum, don't reason with them. Simply take them home and calmly get the wooden spoon or strap and spank them UNTIL THEY Cry. That's very important that you've broken their spirit and that they are ready to crawl onto your lap and lay their head against you. Once, they're like that, then they're teachable and you can work with them.

• Spanking is a good thing!

I am still being raised in a traditional home, I graduate this year ranked 16th in my class of 53 students, I am president of two clubs, secretary of our student council, voted friendliest and most dependable, actively involved in church, actively involved with volunteer work around my city and state, have been to 3 leadership conferences, and am going to college next year on a full athletic scholarship (softball). I was raised around spankings. If I acted up as a child, I was spanked. I was taught that my parents are my PARENTS, not my friends. Yes, they love me and show me attention. They are great parents and I know I can trust them with anything. Yes, spanking instilled fear in my life, but it was a good kind of fear that taught me something that most children now-a-days don't learn- RESPECT. When most people see the term "corporal punishment" they immediately think beatings, and burns, when it could simply mean a good spanking. I learned to respect adults because I know that if I didn't say "ma'am" or "sir" to an adult, I'd be in big trouble... But of course, I'm a know-nothing kid that was raised in the dirty ol' south. In my opinion, spanking impacted me in a very good way. If a parent is raising their child as their child, and not their friend, they're doing it right. As for those that think it's wrong...Well....Good luck raising a child that has no respect because you wish to respect them.

• Sometimes Love Must be Tough

I raised three children as a mother and I learned that everyone had a different personality. When it came to discipline what worked for one child did not always work for another. I had a daughter who I could discipline just by looking at her. However, I also had a son that really gave us fits. We dealt him stealing and one time even destroying property. It was not our first choice, but we learned that spanking was an effective punishment with this child. I don't think parents should hit their kids with objects, but I do not view a spanking on the butt with a hand as abuse in any sense of the word. Abusive parents do things like burn their children with cigarette butts, cut their children, or bruise them. The most we ever did was pull down our son's pants and spank him with a hand on the seat of his underwear. It got his attention and after a few tears, he was willing to listen. I think every parent wishes they could avoid spanking, but sometimes it really is necessary with some kids to make the point that their behavior is unacceptable and won't be tolerated.

• Whoop and Spank our children

As a naughty boy I was spanked or whooped many times( approximate 20 times a month). One example is that I charged 3000 dollars on their credit card. I was whooped every hour until I payed them. I was whooped or spanked really hard. When I was whooped or slapped they put me on the floor, take of my pants, take off my underwear and whooped me with a slipper. They usually slapped me 50 times each buttock. I felt really bad. Right now I have two daughters which is 14 and 9 and one son which is 10. I still smack and whoop them. I usually would start whooping you child at age 2 and stop at 15. I love whooping them, I think it is fun. I whoop them them same way as my parents did. As you already know I had a lot of whoopings. I feel like whooping a child is their action. I was usually whooped because of my action.

• It's just fine.

It's just fine to spank your children. If you do something wrong you deserve a punishment. If a child is spanked because they don't do as told, it is ok. Time out may be effective, but what if your child continues to disobey..? What is done then? Obviously time outs and words does not work..

• Hero dero dero

When a big child hits a small child in the playground, we call him a bully; five years later he punches a woman for her handbag and is called a mugger; later still, when he slugs a workmate who insults him, he is called a troublemaker; but when he becomes a father and hits his tiresome, disobedient or disrespectful child, we call him a disciplinarian.''When a big child hits a small child in the playground, we call him a bully; five years later he punches a woman for her handbag and is called a mugger; later still, when he slugs a workmate who insults him, he is called a troublemaker; but when he becomes a father and hits his tiresome, disobedient or disrespectful child, we call him a disciplinarian.''

• Discipline, Not Punishment

You can teach children right from wrong without physically harming them. The "spankings," that went on way back when are considered child abuse nowadays when we look back on it. Yet so many parents continue to think it necessary to spank and swat and hit their kids. Strict parents have always made for sneaky children. Do we need history to keep repeating itself, people? Meanwhile, children that are raised in homes where tools other than spankings are used often end up becoming great individuals. I do find it funny that people on the "Yes," side call the "No's," soft. Just because you grew up with spankings does not mean that needs to be mirrored in the next generation. Do not bring up a generation using the methods used in the previous generation; each are raised for a different time.

• Psychological and Social Consequences

I grew up in an elementary school where teachers were allowed to spank students this occurred from pre-k to 5th grade. My own parents wouldn't beat me because I already knew the difference between right and wrong from age 6, but because it was a Christian school they were allowed to beat me with a wooden ruler. I saw students get spanked for the most frivolous things from missing school when approved by a parent, and not memorizing a review question. What was even worse was the spanking for one bad apple's decision. The only way out was to tell on the other student(which was the road I took). I was so afraid when this happen that always would be the one, and soon people would stop trusting me and I would try to stay away from them and become shy. During early middle school I was so shy and anti-social that I really couldn't communicate with others well or I either wouldn't talk to other people during lunch for fear of discipline. Tell me how is it that a place of learning teaches people how not to socialize and how that it is appropriate to take out anger(which was 75% why the teacher would spank us) on the child, and another thing when a person say its ok if they don't leave a mark on you it's ok but when it's over the line it not discipline it's abuse you allow it to go over the line every time you encourage it or allow it to happen to someone!

• How could you ever.

I don't find any explanation to where spanking is absolutely okay. It's horrible. It's not called teaching a child to learn their lesson, its more like makig them dislike you as a parent more. It's basically physical abuse. I mean what if your child hit you, not okay either is it?

• We need reasonable punishments!

I believe that school is a place to learn not to be hit! Spanking kids will not create better behavior and respect for teachers. It will only cause fear and anything make children not want to go to school. If a child is being bad make them do extra work or help the janitor with some cleaning up like they do at my school. We need to give kids a reasonable punishment that would send kids home with bruises.

• Should children be spanked

NO! CAVEMEN hit people...Not enlightened intelligent human beings! If you wouldn't hit another adult for the same behavior...Then why would you hit your most prized beloved possession....Your child....A weaker smaller younger being! You should TEACH instead! Discipline is NOT punishment...& a lotta folks confused the two! I think it does far more psychological damage than if you can reason with them. Outta control & uneducated people hit people....Humor goes a long ways! Might is not always right....You may get IMMEDIATE results but not long lasting ones with physical punishment.....You definitely will get long term resentments!

• No they shouldn't

Children should not be spanked. Children can learn as much, if not more, about right and wrong from a culture of respect as opposed to a culture of fear. Spanking breeds a culture of a child fearing his or,her parent, but a child will be much more well-adjusted from a culture of mutual respect.

• You'll only have yourself to blame.

Hitting a child on the as* why? What do you intend to accomplish? When you hit a child you intend to teach them a violent lesson or strike fear into them which they'll carry for their entire childhood and only blame you the parent, teacher, etc. You don't teach a kid to behave by beating them. You need to be understanding.

• No spank for young 'uns

What sort of society do we live in where it is illegal to smack one's dog, but it is perfectly fine to abuse children through various forms of punishment such as beating, burning, kicking, hitting with an object somewhere other than the buttocks, or shaking? An obvious scenario is "When a big child hits a small child in the playground, we call him a bully; five years later he punches a woman for her handbag and is called a mugger; later still, when he slugs a workmate who insults him, he is called a troublemaker; but when he becomes a father and hits his tiresome, disobedient or disrespectful child, we call him a disciplinarian.'' Clearly, this is such an arbitrary decision that smacking should be outlawed as it contributes to the detriment of their emotional resilience and their physical status.

• Violence breeds fear.

Any form of violence is merely to intend to bend the behaviour of the child to someone else's will period. Be it the parents, teachers, or society it strips the child of creativity and individuality. Children who are physically or psychologically threatened become fearful and with no outlet for that fear... The punishment system exists throughout life. Mental illness certainly exists and perhaps the basis of it begins here. Not to say that children don't need to be guided because they do. Not to say that children don't need to be taught how society works because they do. What they don't need is do as I say or else... They are your kids its up to you but you will only have control for so long and then in their fearful nature what do you think society will do with them or use them for. Those who say violence is worse now then it was twenty years ago when spankings were prevalent have very short memories and haven't looked at the stats. The spankings in the seventies is why there are more 40 and fifty year olds living with their parents and afraid to say anything to employers who treat them wrongly for fear of losing a ten dollar per hour job. Sickening really. Also for the good of the child and not out of anger... Still feels bad to the child. Why would anyone give birth to a child just to make it feel bad? Period. Why? Because it doesn't do what you want when you want it to do it or it doesn't say something you want when you want them to say it... Giving the child the message that they are not worthy. If you teach a child to do good things and monitor their growth the child will do good things and have a good heart. If they get out of line which is easy enough to do you can guide your child to a better place without beating it out of them.

• Spanking does more harm than good.

Spanking does not really make a child more behaved. In fact, it only makes them worse. There has been many studies that show spanking has many ill effects. Spanking only makes them more aggressive. Many parents just ignored these facts and did it anyways. We know better these days that spanking is harmful to children. Yet many parents remained blind. Many parents just make up excuses like "I was spanked and I turned out Fine". So your parents hit you and your all right? Sure you are. This is not the 50's!!! Stop hitting children. Do you think your children will trust you if you hit them? You say parents should have the right to Spank their children? Why should parents have the right to ABUSE children? Makes no sense.

Spanking is WRONG!