• Yes, we should spank

Look at our society today, are we better off now than we were 20 years ago? No we are not! Our schools are a war zone because parents refuse to let the school paddle their kids when they are out of control. Kids are getting away with murder because parents didn't spank their child and let them know right from wrong. My parents spanked me and their parents before them did the same. Did they have the problems in society that we do today? Once again no they didn't because parents taught their kids to behave or else there would be severe consequences. Wake up people! Take a stand and take back control of your kids. Its legal to spank those out of control kids. Do it now before our country is in ruin.

• Yes

As a child that was spanked, I say spanking is completely acceptable. To a certain degree a parent should be free to discipline their children as they see fit. I do believe, however, that spanking should never be done out of anger. It should be done when the parent is in a completely emotion-free state of mind and it should be stressed to the child that it is being done for their own good and not out of anger.

• yes

I think that spanking is not hurting. It helps to keep the child under control. If a kid gets spanked they know not to do what they just did. Words do not always work. Look at the world now most kids do not listen to words, there needs to be a lot of spanking done in my book. It helps the child to understand its pain not to do it again or I will get spanked.

• Discipline is a Personal Choice

Parents have the right to discipline their children as they see fit. Spanking is a form of physical discipline. Its effectiveness is a matter for another debate. Spanking is not abusive in and of itself. The lessons learned by kids from their parents may be harsh thanks to spanking, but the method makes a clear statement. I don't like seeing kids spanked in public as much as anyone else, but parents have the right to do so.

• Learning to respect

I believe in domestic discipline as method in case a child disrespects guidelines. I am not talking about hitting in anger or out of control. Clear rules must be set and understood as guideline for kids, growing up, the doe's and dont's. Respecting not only authorities but animals, nature, cultures, traditions and so much more should be taught from early age on. I have no tolerance for any disrespect and a good old fashioned spanking teaches right from wrong if words and warnings don't help any further

• Yes they should

They shouldn't be spanked how children in the 50s were spanked, but they should be spanked on occasion. Not with any implements, just with a hand, enough to cause the child minor pain, to teach them, but NOT enough to cause bruising or injury. It should be used as a severe punishment; not for every single thing the child does wrong.

• Spanking on rare occasion is beneficial

After taking all of the child's privileges away and repeatedly discussing with them that what they are doing is wrong, sometimes spanking is the only alternative. Spanking is not beating, which is abuse. It involves a paddle which stings the buttocks leaving temporary marks. It should be done in a neutral, non angry manner. Once it has been done sufficiently, the child should stay in their bed for awhile until they have calmed down. Then the parent(s) should come and discuss with the child why he or she was wrong.

• Spanking isn't beating

Alright. First thing's first. There is a BIG difference in beating and spanking your child. People who burn kids or hit them so hard it leaves marks deserve to rot in hell. THATS beating or abusing a child. Spanking is just a hard tap. That's how my parents used to "spank" me. Did I learn my lesson? Yes, did they beat me? No. Did it ever leave marks? No. I believe there is a line people can cross when it comes to ""spanking" their children. Look at today's society. There is kids that are literally 5 years old and are already telling their parents to "F*** off." In public! Kids that scream it to their parents in a store and the kids parents just say "Knock it off" and continue to do what they are doing. The kid(s) then LAUGHS at them. There is nothing funny about a 5 year old saying the f word. For all the people that will say "Well that's the parents fault" I got news for you. It's not. Kids can hear it from other kids at school, from other little kids at school, ect. If you think this is rude then I am sorry but its to the point and that's the way I like to keep things

• Yes we should

Kids should be spanked be a lot of kids that misbehave get grounded but that's not enough to teach them. I was spanked when I was little and I learned my lesson. Use a belt or something that will teach them but don't just do it once make sure that it hurts so they would learn but done leave any marks. Show them that you still love them and just want to teach them a lesson. Spanking is right.

• We should spank kids!

Spanking isn't meaning to hut them but it's to scare them so they don't do the same thing again, now if it gets to where there are hand marks and brusies then that's just crossing the line. But, we need spanking it's what thatches kids wrong from right and if we don't spank them to teatches them who knows how the world will end up, who knows what we'll do. We are the future and what we do counts. If we just do nothing to stop kids from doing what they do our world could be destroyed because of parents not be able to spank children.

• Why should you

When you spank your children it leaves them to feel like a failure but when you have a better way to deal with them it will sure be a better way according to Eric P. Slade, assistant professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and co-author of a study appearing in this month's issue of Pediatrics he says "Spanking children under the age of 2 puts those children into a higher risk group for behavioral problems later,". And i have to agree coming from a spanking world there is NO NEED FOR SUCH VIOLENCE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE MAD.

• We should spank kids!

• Discipline, Not Punishment

You can teach children right from wrong without physically harming them. The "spankings," that went on way back when are considered child abuse nowadays when we look back on it. Yet so many parents continue to think it necessary to spank and swat and hit their kids. Strict parents have always made for sneaky children. Do we need history to keep repeating itself, people? Meanwhile, children that are raised in homes where tools other than spankings are used often end up becoming great individuals. I do find it funny that people on the "Yes," side call the "No's," soft. Just because you grew up with spankings does not mean that needs to be mirrored in the next generation. Do not bring up a generation using the methods used in the previous generation; each are raised for a different time.

• Psychological and Social Consequences

I grew up in an elementary school where teachers were allowed to spank students this occurred from pre-k to 5th grade. My own parents wouldn't beat me because I already knew the difference between right and wrong from age 6, but because it was a Christian school they were allowed to beat me with a wooden ruler. I saw students get spanked for the most frivolous things from missing school when approved by a parent, and not memorizing a review question. What was even worse was the spanking for one bad apple's decision. The only way out was to tell on the other student(which was the road I took). I was so afraid when this happen that always would be the one, and soon people would stop trusting me and I would try to stay away from them and become shy. During early middle school I was so shy and anti-social that I really couldn't communicate with others well or I either wouldn't talk to other people during lunch for fear of discipline. Tell me how is it that a place of learning teaches people how not to socialize and how that it is appropriate to take out anger(which was 75% why the teacher would spank us) on the child, and another thing when a person say its ok if they don't leave a mark on you it's ok but when it's over the line it not discipline it's abuse you allow it to go over the line every time you encourage it or allow it to happen to someone!

• How could you ever.

I don't find any explanation to where spanking is absolutely okay. It's horrible. It's not called teaching a child to learn their lesson, its more like makig them dislike you as a parent more. It's basically physical abuse. I mean what if your child hit you, not okay either is it?

• We need reasonable punishments!

I believe that school is a place to learn not to be hit! Spanking kids will not create better behavior and respect for teachers. It will only cause fear and anything make children not want to go to school. If a child is being bad make them do extra work or help the janitor with some cleaning up like they do at my school. We need to give kids a reasonable punishment that would send kids home with bruises.

• Should children be spanked

NO! CAVEMEN hit people...Not enlightened intelligent human beings! If you wouldn't hit another adult for the same behavior...Then why would you hit your most prized beloved possession....Your child....A weaker smaller younger being! You should TEACH instead! Discipline is NOT punishment...& a lotta folks confused the two! I think it does far more psychological damage than if you can reason with them. Outta control & uneducated people hit people....Humor goes a long ways! Might is not always right....You may get IMMEDIATE results but not long lasting ones with physical punishment.....You definitely will get long term resentments!

• No they shouldn't

Children should not be spanked. Children can learn as much, if not more, about right and wrong from a culture of respect as opposed to a culture of fear. Spanking breeds a culture of a child fearing his or,her parent, but a child will be much more well-adjusted from a culture of mutual respect.

• You'll only have yourself to blame.

Hitting a child on the as* why? What do you intend to accomplish? When you hit a child you intend to teach them a violent lesson or strike fear into them which they'll carry for their entire childhood and only blame you the parent, teacher, etc. You don't teach a kid to behave by beating them. You need to be understanding.

• No spank for young 'uns

What sort of society do we live in where it is illegal to smack one's dog, but it is perfectly fine to abuse children through various forms of punishment such as beating, burning, kicking, hitting with an object somewhere other than the buttocks, or shaking? An obvious scenario is "When a big child hits a small child in the playground, we call him a bully; five years later he punches a woman for her handbag and is called a mugger; later still, when he slugs a workmate who insults him, he is called a troublemaker; but when he becomes a father and hits his tiresome, disobedient or disrespectful child, we call him a disciplinarian.'' Clearly, this is such an arbitrary decision that smacking should be outlawed as it contributes to the detriment of their emotional resilience and their physical status.