Should children be taught to be more disciplined and respect the elderly?

Asked by: kikiming888
  • Treat Other Like You Want to be Treated

Most people survive to the age where they are considered elderly or old. So then if they are taught to be disrespectful to elders when they are younger, then they will be disrespected when they are old. People don't like be disrespected, so why teach younger people to do so?

• I think we should

I think so because I was raised to show respect and it has helped me in my life. If kids disrespect people then they will get no where and will probably lose every job they get and will have a hard time getting another one. If they are disrespecting people who will be there for them and want to help them out? I wouldn't if they kept treating me like crap

• It is important to teach young childrens to respect

We must teach childrens about ethics and mannerism since they all are small so they will always be good human being. Once we started to teach them about respect since they are small they will always remember and will never change from their path. Discipline is vital for a child, as without it, they lack the ability to navigate relationships and challenges in life, such as respecting others and cooperating with peers. Lack of discipline can make a child angry, frustrated and generally unpleasant company. Not nearly as many kids have enough (if any) respect and thought for the eldery as they ought to

• Yes, they're lacking in moral values and self-discipline.

It seems that these days kids are growing up to be lacking in moral values and self-discipline. I see younger kids from the ages of 9 cursing to teachers, shop workers, fellow students and so on. It's disgusting. Why aren't kids being brought up to respect one another? Is it that they don't understand how to respect others, or are they just having trouble understanding the importance of it? Discipline is vital for a child, as without it, they lack the ability to navigate relationships and challenges in life, such as respecting others and cooperating with peers. Lack of discipline can make a child angry, frustrated and generally unpleasant company. Not nearly as many kids have enough (if any) respect and thought for the eldery as they ought to. Free thinking isn't going to lead a child down the right path with this, in my opinion. I agree that children to be able to make their own decisions and choices, but when it comes to respecting people, are you really going to let your child act inappropriately/rudely towards others? Even if there are some people who you find to be undeserving of the child's respect and kindness, it doesn't mean you shouldn't teach them to be polite, well mannered and respectful.

• Respect and modern society

Understanding why it is important to respect "the other" especally the elder is an important step to understanding other important moral and ethical values. Modern society is already plagued by yournger generations not fully grasping its importance. Respecting "the other" and particularly the elderly equates to understanding and living by other human moral values such as compassion, humbleness and sacrifice.

• The younger generation nowadays lack of moral values.

Based on observation and experience, I feel that the younger generation nowadays lack of one moral value: "Respect". They tend to judge people based on social status and we can no longer hear greetings from them such as "Good Morning", "Good Day", etc.. I think that this matter should be taken seriously by the school authorities parents.

• Justice should be allowed

Back in the olden days - these people were abusers and allowed violence and paedophiles to get away with raping children and these elderly people haven't apologised or owned up to it and their victims continue to suffer. If this is called morals and value then why are you complaining about children morals. We learn violence from the elderly.

Do unto others as they have done onto you.

• Nope, they should create themselves

I really don't know how to support this argument but children i think are disciplined enough if the parents provide enough care. I think making them more disciplined will restrict them and may be cause violent outburst when they cannot take any more. For the matter of respect, i think they should get the environment to learn to respect the elderly rather than being taught. It does not make sense if we want children to be disciplined and respect the elders and the elders show the dead opposite way the children should be behaving.

• Hard to Respect Elderly with Abuse, Abandonment

It is very hard to teach children respect for elders in contemporary society because of rampant child abuse and single motherhood in the world today. How can kids respect elders when their adults have abandoned them on a regular basis from early babyhood? The key is to lead by example--if elders want to be respect, they need to show children kindness first.

• Overall, I don't think so

I think it wouldn't hurt to discipline kids more so that they can clearly tell the difference between right and wrong, but having respect for the elderly is another thing.

A lot of kids these days actually haven't lost respect for others at all, there's just the stereotype that they have. Believe it or not, every generation thinks the generation after them has no respect. It's not just a thing with this generation. And why should respect be given to someone simply because they're older? There are many old people who don't deserve respect, and some don't respect young people, especially teenagers, simply because they're young. There are many sayings about respect: "Respect has to be earned", "Respect is a two way system" etc. I personally think that people should respect everyone until they're given a good reason not to.

• Not necessarily - Age alone does not entitle anyone to unconditional respect.

And why should it? Between adults, respect is conditionally given based on an observed pattern of behavior and shared personal values. A simple difference in age ought to change nothing about the exchange. If we teach our children simply to fall in line, shut up, and act nicely to their elders for no good reason, we teach them not to think for themselves. Teach your kids what your values are and who your role models are, but acknowledge their right as free-thinking human beings to decide on their own. Keep in mind that this in no way entitles your kids to be rude for no reason; would you tolerate unprecedented rudeness from an adult contemporary? Just acknowledge that some adults (even the vaguely defined "elderly") can be assholes - plain, simple, vanilla assholes, utterly and objectively undeserving of your (still vaguely defined) respect.