• Christmas isn`t Christmas without Santa Claus

Why oppose to letting children have the belief in Santa Clause? I am basically a child myself. No, I don`t believe anymore...I grew up to the 14 year old person I am, but Santa is the reason for some of the best memories that I have. Santa is a child`s friend and guider. Santa embodies hope, love and peace. Santa shows children to care for others before yourself. Santa also brings magic into a child`s life. He is also good for many excellent memories. The presents that say From: Santa, the reindeer dust sprinkled throughout the yard, the empty plate in the morning. All these things mean something to a child and for you not to allow it is robbing them from the simple joy of believing.

• Hi doods how r u all????????

Traditions, by definition, are rooted in the past but have as their purpose the creation of links to the future. Santa is one of our greatest traditions. I am 53 years old and have heard many arguments against the tradition of Santa. During the course of my life I have never encountered a single individual who claimed to have been hurt by the tradition of Santa, no one has embarked upon a life of crime, no one has held ill-will toward lying parents, and no one has lost true religious convictions as a result of a childhood belief in Santa. Only joy and fond childhood memories seem to result from this belief.
    To those who believe it is wrong to lie to a child, I would ask you to consider the nature of childhood; it is a time of imagination/ No rational person would argue against the fostering of imagination in children. Educators encourage imagination. It's odd that many who oppose Santa on this premise allow their children to read and watch works of fantasy. Some less than healthy. Children also learn through play. It plays an important role in social interactions; plus it's just plain fun. Even adults love to play; we have sports, fishing, crafts and a variety of other things, the best of which include our children. Santa is the ultimate play for child and parent.
    To those who believe Santa distracts from the true meaning of Christmas, I respect your convictions. As a Christian I hold sacred the true meaning of Christmas. Many say that Santa is a pagan superstition. Our image of Santa has been influenced by history. Let me point out that Christianity has a long history of replacing pagan festivals and traditions with a Christian alternative. Christian churches now offer fall festivals as an alternative to Halloween. With regard to Christmas, we saw no conflict in attending our Christmas Eve worship service, going home to prepare for Santa's visit, and reading the Christmas story before bed. My son, now 17, has no problem distinguishing between reality and play. In recent years I've even had opportunity to be a Santa's helper, red suit and all. I count it as one of the greatest blessings God has given me. As a final note, Jesus was fond of teaching in parables. Parables are simple stories that have a deeper meaning. The deeper truth may not be understood immediately, but time brings a greater understanding of the simple child-like story. I like to think of Santa as a parable, not a Biblical parable but a parable nonetheless. Santa is a wonderful opportunity to teach values that will be important later in life.
    Lastly, I've heard that Santa equals commercialism. I do not believe this to be true. Santa, done correctly, is a family experience. Parents simply have to explain that Santa doesn't bring everything you ask for. He can bring simple or handmade gifts too. His greatest gift is a lesson on giving.

• Santa claus rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bribery never hurt anyone

Some people may say that Santa is wrongly encouraging children to behave only in order to receive a gift. Isn't that why we work? That is the entire point of anyone working. They do something to get something else in return. Why is it any different with giving children gifts? It makes children behave. Isn't that what every parent wants?

• Children should be able to have imagination and creativity

Children are born to think of the world as imaginably as they can. They are raised to believe that they can do anything. We teach our kids to believe in fairy tales and conquer their dreams. Whats the difference between that and believing in Santa? Yes, one day these kids will soon grow up and realize that these things aren't true but the whole purpose of these myths are to make our children great people and be able to do the same for their kids.

• Santa embodies generosity and love

Santa Claus gives children hope. Hes a jolly old man who delivers presents to all those children who have been good. This encourages children to stay on the right path in life and sets morals for them later in life. No ones ever been harmed by Santa and no one will be. Hes the spirit of Christmas for god's sake! Jolly old Saint Nick

• In Defense of my Friend Santa

• Santa is Giving

I enjoyed believing in Santa, and it didn't hurt me a bit.
    When children play they make believe,are we going to tell them to stop. Its a way of giving anonymously . What else should they not believe in....... Let the children enjoy Christmas and enjoy being a child life is short lived ,,,,Enjoy

• Benefits of belief

Yes, they should have the Joy of belief in magic makes them hopeful for life , they have great fun in anticipation in the tradition It is fun for the parents also

having a hard time getting 50 words here Christmas is a fun time I still need 5 more words here

• YES, It is perfectly fine for kids to believe in Santa

The magic that Santa brings, creates a spark in the heart that will always be remembered. Life is full of ups and downs so what is wrong with creating a magical memory that will bring a smile later in life when it is most needed. I still believe in Santa!

• There is still magic without Santa.

I never believed in Santa Claus when I was growing up, and yet I still have so many fond and even magical memories of Christmas. Dressing in old fashioned clothes and going door to door with my 8 person family to sing Christmas songs that we had practiced since Thanksgiving, and then eating hot chili when we got home. I remember checking the weather report every day, hoping for snow on Christmas. We all got to help mom make cookies. It seemed to us that we would make enough for the whole town. Making the cookies wasn’t even half the fun, as we would later put them on pretty paper plates and cover them with colored plastic wrap. Then we got to give them away to lots of people. Some of them went to people we knew some when to people in need. It was magic to see the face of a child in a hospital light up when we gave him a whole plate of beautiful and delicious cookies. We also went shopping before Christmas and each of us got to fill a shoebox with toys and things to give to a child on the other side of the world. After filling the boxes, we wrote a letter to the child who would get our box and we wrapped the box in Christmas wrapping paper. Our own presents were under our tree a week before Christmas, without any name tags. It was fun to try and guess which present belonged to which of us. And we never knew which of the things on our wish list mom and dad actually got for us. But the night before Christmas while we were sleeping mom and dad would fill our stockings with little gifts and candy. We used to wake early to try and peek at what might be inside. Those would be last to open, one hour before bed.

• Lie and bondage

Not only are you distracting children from reality but you also are teaching them to lie. Santa is sees everything does nothing but mock god, so it's also blasphemy. Most people don't know this but he was created by coca-cola to increase sales in the winter. He is nothing more then an object to keep us under the bondage of our oppressors, the ones who keep us in dept, the ones to keep us working just to give our money back to them. He is nothing more then a publicity stunt and it worked great. Stay blind my allies.

• Faith in Santa can be Harmful + Reinforces Negative Consumerist Values

Many people who support the idea of maintaining a belief in Santa say that "no one has been damaged by believing in Santa". The number might be small, it's hard to say (and I also think a lot of adults forget many of their childhood memories and experiences). But I was actually one of those children who was extremely hurt when I found out that Santa wasn't real. My parents had gone to great lengths to maintain my belief, and I continued to believe in Santa until perhaps 8 or 9 years old. I never spoke to them about how hurt I was, but I distinctly remember feeling shattered at the discovery. I had grown up in an atheist home and for me, Santa was basically God - an omnipotent being who watched over me - and I used to feel his presence all year long. I remember feeling humiliated and tricked when I found out that the whole thing had been a fabrication.
    I really don't see what true benefit arises from the Santa myth. As other writers have pointed out, it's not really about the child's "sense of imagination" if they truly believe. (Imagination involves pretending something is true, which suggests that one knows it is all pretend in the first place).
    And what really bothers me is that Santa actually subverts some of the truly beautiful messages of the Christmas season, as children are told to believe that they will get presents for being good. This supports the materialistic side of the season, rather than the Christian message of giving of oneself. It also carries with it the implication that poorer families receive less from Santa, while wealthy children receive the x-boxes and ipods, etc. That they ask for. I find all of this quite troubling.
    I am now a young parent and have had these discussions with my husband. (And for the record, I am Christian and my husband is agnostic). We both agree on the detrimental messages that are carried with Santa and will not be encouraging our daughter's belief in Santa, although we will likely tell her about the story and the history of St. Nicholas (who was an amazing person). I suspect she will be able to enjoy the magic of the season just fine - and perhaps even "imagine" that Santa might be real if she wishes - without us explicitly feeding her a lie.

• Santa claus hurts children.

not literally, but emotionally. "Santa clause" is the virtual god of consumerism, he teaches kids to be good only to get as much stuff as possible. Additionaly, "Santa" only gives expensive toys to rich christian kids? This is because its really the christian parents buying, but kids don't know. Furthermore, santa uses the slave labor of elves to make toys in his factory. Scaring kids in to behaving is immoral.

• Lye not nice also Santa is a stalker

I beleve it's a lie I'm 16 it ruens Christmas everey year and also would he be in jail by know if he was real stoking people also haw can I trust Santa also the bad and good I know a lot of people who got hert by it and haw can you get toys when yOur pore also other relive and also creativity cames from some ware eals ?

• Nuaghty or Nice Scare Tactics

Scare tactics given to kids for being good in santa claus tradition is not an effective way to teach kids. As well, the quickest way to loose the trust is to plant a seed early on that you would lie to your kids. Using the gullible nature of children to get them to behave during a certain time of year seems wrong. They are human beings. Treat them like they are.

• We should get excited about teaching truth.

Did you know that there really was a guy who gave to poor kids in Europe? The real history is quite interesting and all but forgotten in our society. People have become obsessed with making their kids believe in something that is not true at all. If we were even half as excited about getting our kids to believe in things that actually are true, think of how intelligent they could become.

• Doesn't encourage any good

This doesn't encourage children to be creative or to be imaginative. A child learns imagination by coming up with their own ideas. Not from being told something is real that simply is not. It encourages a child to be gullible and believe in multitudes of things they are told which may or may not be true.

• Parents Cannot Be Trusted

If they lied about this, what else are they lying about? Tooth Fairy? Easter Bunny? Cupid? The truth about Thanksgiving? Jesus? God? Saints? And on and on. I think I kept a belief in Santa long after my peers because I didn't want to believe that my mother had wilfully deceived me. I had to learn the truth in junior high school. Everyone laughed at me when I defended the myth. When I confronted my mother she was shocked that I still believed and confirmed my classmates. I cried all weekend.That was the beginning of the death of innocence of me, and the birth of cynicism and skepticism.

andyrwebman says2014-12-23T01:35:42.860
It can be good to understand the historical background for traditions - St Nicholas, etc , and also to celebrate the traditions with a bit of play acting, but this precious attitude parents have if ever any honest truth even looks like threatening the tissue of lies they have told their children leaves me cold. They need to be able to trust you, and they need to realize that the world isn't whatever sweet chocolate box place you imagine it to be. It's fine to use your imagination, but you should always be aware that you ARE pretending.

The idea that acknowledged untruths should be held sacred - and even defended to a child who is beginning to realise they are untrue - disgusts me somewhat.