Should children discuss the elections in school?

Asked by: djmalikx3
  • Should Children Discuss the Elections in School? I Vote YES!!!!

I (as an American citizen who has rights) say yes, kids should discuss elections in their schools. I believe this because if the children of this generation can't even discuss elections at their schools, then what is the point of having rights as a free American???? This is coming from a 6th grader in the USA, and I am proud to be an American. Though I dearly love my country, I don't agree with the fact that even high-school teen can't vote for thing they majorly affect their lives!!! What I mean of that is, if people under the age of 18 can't vote, that means they can't make decisions for their very future. If we can't vote for our own sakes, then at least 6th grade and up should be able to discuss elections and what their prospectives are. This is a very important life skill that people should start working on when they are mature enough to vote or base their perspectives on what is logical to them and not on what will draw the most laughs from friends. In addition, if the kids can't discuss these topics in their schools, they will have no experience in the field of politics. In this situation it would be bad because if "said person" doesn't know how to work with politics they probably won't make an educated choice of whom "said person" votes for.

• Certainly teenagers should

There are some sensitive issues involved in elections and people disagree about those sure but not talking about them isn't the best way to deal with it. Honest discussion in an environment that embraces reason and honest discord. A good understanding of our political system is empowering and truly understanding the issues is very useful.

• Why the hell not

Many are disconcerted about the fact that children are only capable of regurgitating the biased nonsense that their parental guardians or other sources have hammered into their gullible minds, but I, a 110-year old alien with immense reservoirs of wisdom, strongly disagree. First and foremost, children grow up. No matter how sheltered their insignificant lives are, they will be forced to come face-to-face with "ugly politics" at one point or another; a few extra years of ignorance will accomplish nothing but fill their heads with more trash. Secondly, just because students don't openly share their regurgitated thoughts in school does not mean those uneducated ideals will simply disappear from their memories- they will, instead, rot and fester like maggots on a corpse (which I will never be, since I am an alien and aliens are not afflicted with the meager disease humans call death) and influence their adult minds. This means that they will be as stupid, if you will, in adulthood as they were in childhood. Sharing these thoughts in school allows for healthy discussion and argument that helps student see how foolish the garbage that they vomited out of their dirty mouths was. Although age does not define social and political understanding, teachers are generally well disposed, active citizens that can also facilitate discussions and turn students' heads away from the theatrical facade of elections and toward the "real" issues being thrown back and forth. Finally, world education systems are inherently flawed in the sense that they squander extensive periods of time to drill a repeated pool of information into their students with only moderate success, and then proceed to fling them into the world naked, without any practical knowledge and only the highest-level (highest-level does not mean "good"- it just means a very very very surface-level understanding) view of politics and the workings of THE SYSTEM THAT BASICALLY DICTATES THEIR LIFE (aka government). As elections are an imperative part in government, and because (I hope) the goal of education systems should also include creating well-rounded citizens THAT WILL NOT CHOOSE TRUMP or other belligerents to be their chief executive officer, discussing politics and elections in school is an extremely effective way to expose children to politics at an early age.

• Yes they should.

We want our society to be informed about political issues and elections, and we're going to show that by banning discussions about politics in educational settings. What better platform is there have informed, even-handed dialogue about politics than in an educational setting with the presence of a teacher as an un-biased moderator.

Like anything else, It's all about how you handle it. If it's a well structured back and forth debate, supported by facts, and not just a bully pulpit to bash one candidate or another, then it's absolutely appropriate and is a wonderful learning experience.

• Yes, Of course They should discuss the elections in school.

The children can learn about society earlier by the school(the small society). It also can make children to get a chance of politics and increase the turnout. Beacuse they can get good feeling of politics. In conclusion, I think children should discuss the elections in school. IT IS GOOD FOR CHILDREN!

• Absolutely they should

Discussing elections will help children understand the election process and helps them form their own opinions on things that are actually important in the world, rather than things such as how to find the value of X. However I do thing that there should not be any bias in these teachings, real world topics are much more important for kids to learn about.

• No no no

This is not a appropriate topic. The election brings up race, religion and LGBT community. Not everyone has the same opinion about those things. So when you overhear your dad say something racist and go repeat it not knowing its racist. Or when you hear Trump or Hilary say something and you go repeat it. SMH!

• Not at all

Kids at these young ages are just saying what their parents say. They don't need to put the wrong ideas in peoples heads. Also, teacher may make a negative point of view on them or their family. Some candidates may say bad things, so we don't want the kids repeating it.