Should children have homework during the summer (yes), or should they be given a break (no)?

• Yes children should have homework during summer

Children should have homework during the summer so that they don't forget the things they learned during the year. Children should receive a packet to do over vacation that will review what they know and teach them new things. This will be better so that teachers won't have to review after vacation and they can just teach new things.

• Yes, reinforcement is critical.

As much as kids might hate it, a little bit of work over the summer break would greatly benefit kids. Learning is a process that must be constantly refreshed and over the course of a three month break, kids do not retain many of the things that will be necessary for progress.

• You're dumber in the summer.

Yes, children should have homework during the summer, because children lose a lot of their learning in the summer. Many parents just leave their children to fend for themselves in the summer. They are left to play in the dirt while Mom smokes and collects welfare checks. Homework would be able to help these children do better for the next generation.

• Yes, kids should have summer homework.

I think kids should have homework during the summer. I do not really see any good reason why children should not have any homework during the summer. I think that letting kids have homework during the summer is a good way to teach them how adult life will be like since there are no summer vacations.

• No WAY! I mean, come ON, its summer VACATION!

We should NOT be given summer homework. Its just cancer. Learning is not needed in the summer. So what if you forget the things you learned. You can relearn next year. You can't expect us to have a "summer vacation" if we have to do study. Its really unfair for kids to have to do work on a non-school day. We already work in school for 6-8 hours and 10 months. We also get 2-3 hours of homework on school days. We need a break over that much hard work. If kids want to learn over the summer, let them! If kids wanna relax over the summer, let them! But its not up to the teachers or parents. Its up to the kids. The rules of summer vacation are: No school or academic classes, No homework or learning, and no waking up early. Summer is for Family, Friends, and Fun. NOT LEARNING!

• It is worthless

Kids never have a chance to spend time with their parents nor have trips with them. If you think about it 10 months of school and homework compared to 2 1/2 to 3 months of summer. I kind of doubt no one forget what they learned and I think their is no possible way for a summer slide to happen. Summer homework has to be back in right away!

• It is worthless

• It isn't worth it at all whatsoever

Summer break is meant to be relaxing at home and go on trips with family and/or friends. Summer vacation is what it says in its name: it's a break. Students have had 10 months of learning plus homework they deserve a break. Even if I were obligated to do reading during the summer and I have always read during the summer but this year even if I'm obligated I am not going to. For once I just want a summer all to myself
    Even for all students that I even feel how the feel about it. Even my mother is agreeing. Summer reading should be banned right away!

• No they should not

They should not have homework over the break because:if they have homework over the break they could spend time away from family,breaks were made to take time away school,and finally it is a popular opinion amongst my peers that most people don't like homework. I think homework is fine just not over the break.

• Like I mean come on,its summer. Why do we need to study.

No. They shouldn't. They need a break. Summer is not an opportunity for kids to be more stressed out than they are. If we had to do it, it would be unfair for kids because they have to study one a non school day. If kids want to learn over the summer, let them! If kids want to have fun over the summer, let them! That choice is not up to parents, teachers, and instructors. Weekends and holidays are more than just sitting at a desk and doing some garbage. The rule of weekends and holidays are: No school, no homework, no learning, no classes, no waking up early. You're free! Weekends and holidays are for family, friends, and fun! Not studies!

• Absolutely not. Just... NO

It is not fair to make kids and adolescents work over vacation time. Yes, we do get breaks over Christmas and Easter and other things, but that's not always enough. Some kids have different situations and require more down-time because of a disability or what-have-you. But do schools care? No. And some schools even assign homework over Christmas and Easter. It's just not fair to have a summer "vacation" even though we are being forced to work.

• No no no no no no no

Just no. You already know why. We deserve a vacation after all that hard work! Doing more hw during summer makes us get alought of stress. We don't deserve this that's why no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• Let kids be kids

No, Kids should not have summer homework. This is why, Kids already have enough work and their minds need a rest because it is constantly working. Kids need to spend their summer being active, playing sports and using their imagination. During the school year kids spend 6 hours in school and more after school doing homework. This is their vacation and need to not have homework.
    KL

• Let kids be kids

I don't think kids should have summer homework. This is why, kids already have enough work and their minds need a rest because it is constantly working. Kids need to spend their summer being active, playing sports and using their imagination. During the school year kids spend 6 hours in school and more after doing homework. This is their vacation to relax.
    KL