Should children have legal obligations towards parents after adulthood?

• Children should be considerate enough take care of their parents.

Parent's have taken care of them so well in their childhood, so when the children become adults they must look after their ageing parents in the same way. I feel it should be legally obligated because nowadays, there are so many children who just abandon their parents, not caring for them.

• It could benefit the children too

If any such laws are passed, where the children are legally obligated to take care of their parents, then the government or the ruler will obviously undertake other measures and policies which support the law and help the people to follow it! If the children are too poor to afford for their own expenses or if they are not comfortable leaving their parents home alone or think they don't have time for them or perhaps even believe that they're too much of a burden ,the government will definitely pass policies helping the aging parents and the children at the same time.

• It could benefit the children too

• Somebody has to take care of them.

As people get old, their ability to make decisions for themselves can diminish, and they need someone to be responsible for their care. Their adult children frequently need to take power of attorney for elderly parents in order to manage their affairs. Most people do this in some form anyway, so I don't see the problem with making it a legal obligation.

• Should children be legally obligated to take care of their parents

We have failed and have failed our seniors. While no parent or grandparent wants to depend children or grandchildren for support. With the high cost living, and so many have lost a fortune re 9/11, we have no choice but turn to our kids for help. We sacrificed bringing our kids, now its time they repay some that to us in need. In a nutshell they have moral obligation to do so. But today's kids don't want anything to do with helping out. Sadly we must depend on the legal system to impose that requirement. A final point is that not every child is in a position to help monetarily but they can help in many other ways.

• No control over how parents spend their money

My mother is relatively rich however she is in the process of living the high life spas, trips to Europe, trips to the Caribbean, paying cash for expensive cars, lavish remodeling of her house. As an adult child I have no control over how my mother spends her money, so why should I who is going my best to save for the future have my savings decimated by someone else decisions.

• Children nowadays often do not even earn enough to support themselves, not out of choice but with the economy being what it is

If a child can afford to assist a parent financially it is commendable but it certainly should not be enforced by law. Taking care of someone, be it parent or child should be done out of love otherwise the person to be taken care of is better off in a facility with strangers.

• Absolutely not ever!

A child living with an abusive parent gets through it by reminding herself that someday she will grow up and be able to get away from the abuser. For a child in that situation, it seems to take forever to reach the age of 18. If I had thought for one minute as a kid that I would have to keep my abusers in my life until they died, I would have committed suicide as a teenager. The abuse was never documented by Child Protective Services. I was never in the system. So I can't use that as a legal excuse to get out of supporting these people. I would rather go to jail than do anything for these people.

• There are far too many variables

What if the child is adopted, disabled, abused, or has siblings. These are only some of the many points I will explain further on. The adopted child would probably not know their real parents, who might even show up in their time of need or their foster parent who may not already have children of their own to take care of them, would their fostered child be responsible for them or would they be left to support themselves. The same goes to the abused child, whether physically or verbally, probably would not want anything to do with their parent because of the treatment they received when they were younger, while the parents may feel that, no matter what their child will take care of them. If the child is disabled mentally or physically they wouldn’t have the ability to take care of their parent or they still rely on their aging parent to take care of them. Finally if a child has multiply sibling, one may want all the responsibility, while the others want to share the expenses which can lead to disagreements that can cause the siblings to come to resent each other.

• Legal obligation vs love!!!!!

Yeah i admit personally that our parents gave our life and they took care of it,but people who said yes didn't just think that why people dump parents.That because of emotional problems.People should understand that love should come from there deepest heart but not from enforcing laws of obligation.As as solution for abanding parennts rather than enforcing law we could take measures like doing campaings for improvmernt of emtions. By implementing a law could cause more sever dangerous.For exam a person who is with extreme agony with his or her parents he will go murder them

• No, children have no control.

No, there are times when the seemingly sane parent chooses to cut all ties with their adult children for no known reason. There is no communication; no reason given for the break. There is no way to contact the parent - refuse to answer phone, deadbolt doors, ignore mail - so why should the caring adult child be responsible.

• No, children should not have legal obligations towards parents.

Children should not have to be responsible for their parents. Forcing children to be responsible for their parents would lead to more terrible parents having babies for profit. They would sit on welfare until their child got to adulthood and then force their child to pay for them. This idea is silly.

• No, they should not have legal obligations

Children were not born to become our caretakers as we get older. I would never want my children to be legally obligated to care for me after they reached adulthood. I want my children to go as far as they can in life. If they are obligated to stick back and care for me then that will hold them from their full potential which would be crazy.

Posted by: jus
  • No,they shouldn't have to...

That's just insane. Kids should do it out of love not fear. I for one know that i won't support my parents if I have a choice b/c of how they beaten me psychically, mentally, and emotionally. If I was forced to support them i would rather die then give those jerks the satisfaction of controlling me again.

• No I don't believe a children should have legal obligations towards a parent after adulthood

When you're an adult you should be free to do and go anywhere you want, regardless of parental situation. You should not have to be tied down to a parent or parents just because of the law. They are not your responsibility outside of perhaps a situation where they are gravelly ill. Short of that, I don't think there should be any legal or moral obligations to a parent once a children comes of age. So no I don't think a child should be legally responsible for a parent after adulthood.