Should children read whatever books they want without the supervision of an adullt?

Asked by: Amberbrown
  • No one should prohibit knowledge

When I was 11 or 12 I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and to this day it is my favourite book. My younger sister, who is now 14, has not read it because she does not have the reading skill necessary. However, she is a lot less mature than I was at the same age and I know that she would most likely not understand what the book was about. I think the rule should be that if the child is able to read the book and understand it then it is appropriate for them no matter the content. They will find things out eventually, one way or another. Reading is a great way to get children thinking about things and books are good conversation material between parent and child. Do not deny children knowledge - it is the only thing that can never be taken away from them

• Children should read any books they want without adult supervision.

I know that reading is one of the avenues where young minds could easily be corrupted. By reading what they want, children would tend to learn more. As to whether how they will react to a particular book that they've read, it depends upon them. Even if the children is not fond of reading, for example, their minds can be corrupted as well. They would so through different factors coming from the outside environment that could possibly affect them (e.G. Bad influence from friends). So what I'm trying to say here is that, if children would read whatever they like, the probability of making them see things from different perspective is high. By that, they might open their minds to the possibility and it could lead them to awareness. Meaning to say, through reading, regardless of the type of books, articles, magazines and etc. which they are reading, children would be more enlightened and tend to sharpen their analysis; thereby, making them more repulsive to harm and violence in their external environment.

• They will learn it eventually.

I am not saying to leave out adult books around the house in reach of your child, but you cannot try to censor everything from them. It is important that they are aware of every aspect in life. Instead of sheltering them from the outside world, just be there to explain what is right, and what is wrong. It's like when they hear their first cuss word by a friend: The word has already been said. The child is aware of the word just said, but should comprehend that it is not appropriate to say. The more you shelter your child, the more rebellious and curious the child becomes.

• Information is already out there.

I think they should. Children aren't isolated. They exist in a world in which information is already out there. Children hear the conversations of parents, community members, other children, and media. It's naive to think children only hear messages intended for them, at them. If you limit what they read and see, there are plenty of other opportunities for them to get whatever information they desire- often at the expense of biased or misinformed opinions. Let them read what they want, unsupervised, to allow them to access more factual information.

• Limiting the pursuit of knowledge is not right.

When I was a child, I read books on a lot of topics that were incredibly mature for my age. I read books on sex, I read books containing graphically violent images, etc. Why? Because I was curious, and wanted to learn. That said, a child should be able to learn about whatever they want, not what adults believe they should learn.

• I think so

Because kids will learn everything in adult books sooner or later. Why hide everything from them? So what if they learn about blood and guts? Now days, theyed learn about that when theyre best friend starts talking about CoD. So what if they learn about politics? Thats useful information. I think its wrong to hide everything from them when theyre going learn it sooner or later. Plus, it will give them a head start in life. Im not saying go shove a political book in theyre face, Im just saying that if they find it in a bookshelf, let them read it. They will probably be bored by the first sentence and put it back anyway.

• Parents need to make sure there is nothing obscene or inappropriate.

Children should be left to read everything within reason. There are definitely some books that are not appropriate due to violence or graphic sex scenes. (Think "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" wit explicit descriptions of sexual abuse). If it is not obscene, however, they should be let to read what they enjoy, be it war and peace, or to kill a mockingbird, or comics books. The best way to kill the desire to read is to force someone to read what they don't like,

• Yes supervision is needed.

Children don't always process information the same way an adult would. It is interesting that I saw this question because in my country there is a particular book that has been causing quite a controversy among teachers and parents. There is a particular section in the book where the author described why a girl was beautiful. The book was intended for 10 year old.

"She had straight nose, smalls lip, long straight black hair and a beautiful shape"

Now can you guarantee that if your child would interpret it as an "authors opinion"?
    Can you guarantee that your child will not take it upon his or herself to try and define their beauty based on what the book has presented to them?

Supervision of an adult does not mean that they will banish the book from existence. It can also mean that the parent can simply explain certain concepts in the book that the child might take out of context. Not every child is the same when it comes to processing sensitive materials.

• No I don't think so

I do not think that children should read books without checking it out with an adult, such a teacher, parent or guardian. For example, I guess they could read age appropriate books, but not books meant for adults. They could find out something they shouldn't know. I just wanted to ask this question because I wanted to see whatt other people say. Tell me your opinion!