Should Children under the Age of 18 be allowed to play Mature games?

Asked by: MunchingBrotato
  • Let the parent

I think that they should be able to play video games but you really need to let the parent decide because they could be playing these games and thinking about the things in them like murder but if they do play them they should be educated well and have adult supervision

• It does not influence them at all.

Unless the kid playing the M rated games is mental then it should not influence the kids to do anything bad. Also if we ban video games then we will have to go ahead and ban T.V. because they can see the same thing on T.V. and sometimes the commercials are even worse!

• Yes, but there should still be an age limit.

I personally think the 18 year old mark is too high and unfair. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want a 12 year old playing online fps (the infamous Xbox live and PSN), but I'd like to think a 16 year old is mature enough to be playing all the 18+ games. Besides, When I'm 18, I'm going to be in college, and being able to play all those games would be a big distraction.

Honestly, most people ignore the age rating anyways.

• I don't think that's the correct thing to do

Children need educative and video games for their own age. If children are allowed to play these kind of games, its because their parents are letting them. Although, children play this games some parents simply don't care, or they let them. These games can cause their way of thinking and damage to their brains. Like this, little kids can become into killers and 8-hour playing gamers. Please help us change this world.

• They have all their ife to play them.

I believe that children can probably handle M Rated Games and if they do use them, it really wouldn't be that bad but these children have all their life to play these sort of games and It isn't making the most out of childhood. Nobody wants to grow up and look back to a childhood of just playing Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty, this is for the child's benefit. Trust Me

• For some games yes and for some games no

It can damage a child's brain and make him do like a character does in the game. For example, a kid plays Assassin's Creed and after looking at the main characters he/she can think of doing like the character does in the game and it can even kill him/her. Not just assassin's creed but there are many other games that are 18+ and not made for kids. If a game is good and has no profanity, violence, and other things that are eligible for kids to play then we can allow it as it can be entertaining and somehow will not even damage the kid's brain

• It's a grey area.

Through developmental psychology, we know that maturity is dependent from person to person. One kid may be ready to see a really scary movie without wetting the bed, another might not. This is from multiple factors and stimuli throughout it's life.
    The reason a set age (commonly 18+) is the mature age is because through education and life experience, the person should be able to handle mature topics (not always the case but anyway). If the person is not ready, it CAN cause short/long term damage.
    It comes back to the old argument "Video games cause anti-social behavior". They don't at all, but when the right person is play what they are supposed to be. If a 10 year old is playing a video game with mature themes, there is a high possibility he may want to replicate them to seem "grown-up".

So no, because they simply aren't emotionally ready for it

• Yes and no

Unlike entertainment, video games are an activity. Unless it's a war game (in which the M rating comes from the context), then no. Personally I would have no problem with my kid playing "Call of Duty." But stuff with sexual content, profanity, contract murders -- off limits it would be in my home.