Should children under the age of 18 be allowed to use Facebook?

• It would make little difference to kid's online presence and have few advantages

Kids would still take very little notice of the age limit, as is the problem with the 13+ limit currently. If they did however do something such as 'you need a credit card number' etc. Facebook would start to become less and less popular and a site without 18+ restrictions would go to the top. If it was law, Social networking site's users must be of 18+ and all websites do use this process, it will hinder the efforts of cyber bullying but the children will lose the free service of messaging online, parents will be paying a much larger phone bill for children.

• What's so bad?

Facebook should be open to anyone and everyone, I don't understand what people find so bad about it.

• I agree that children under the age of 18 should be allowed to use Facebook, as long as their are parental controls.

Facebook is a prevalent piece of media technology in our world, today. Youths under the age of 18 should be allowed to take part in it, as long as their are parental controls. Their parents should have regular access to their accounts, and be able to set up strict privacy options.

Posted by: TMacias
  • I think children under the age of 18 should be allowed to use Facebook, with some limitations.

Though, ultimately, it is up to parents to censure their children for their protection, I think Facebook should be open to children under the age of 18, so long as they are subject to more stringent posting restrictions and their profiles are not visible to the general public.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • I believe that children under the age of 18 should be allowed access to facebook.

With certain limits on Facebook, children should be allowed to have access to the social media. Youths under the age of 18 should be allowed to use the wonderful website to interact with their friends and family. But, parents should have some say in what the children do on Facebook.

• I think so

Because I need it to get in touch with people and I use for all sorts.. I use it to catch up with primary school friends and I also use it to organise stuff with people as I never have credit. I use it to keep in touch with friends and family overseas or in other states. Most of my family and friends have all moved away and that's how I keep in touch with people. Also its good for meeting up for hook ups and parties

• I don't think it should be younger than 18.

I'm 17 and I have a Fb and it's for connection. I have friends who moved away. I have things to plan. I have family to talk to, and it's just the easiest way to communicate long distance. It should be younger than 15 should have access to fb, but people often lie about their ages on sites like FB.

• Kids under 18 should be allowed to use Facebook, so long as their parents control it.

My daughter of 8 would like a Facebook account because many of her friends/family who live a long distance away also have an account, its a good way for them to share/talk/message each other on a platform that almost everybody has! Some have Skype, some Google talk, but they all have Facebook!
    Short of giving her a mobile which I will not do due to cost, possible theft, etc., I see no real viable free alternative!
    However I only support Facebook for under 18s if the PARENTS are prepared to SET IT UP CORRECTLY and police it! By blocking everything to either friends or family, and blocking anything else unknown!
    The good thing about Facebook is that everything she might post would be visible to dozens of family and if inappropriate would be removed! Plus she knows I would check any private messages and she is fine with that.
    Basically its down to the parents. Our children are under 18 so we are still responsible for them, if parents don't understand Facebook and how to use it properly the either read up on it or just don't let your kids on it.

• What's bad about being under 18

People under 18 use Facebook to contact friends out of school and organised out of school activities. What's so bad about that? Yes there may be an occasional fight but stuff happens. Honestly all you people that think Facebook should not be able to be used by people under 18 should get a life and let the CEO of Facebook make the decisions.

• Children should be allowed to use it, with education into it's dangers being taught in schools.

It can be a great tool to keep in touch with old friends, make plans with big groups of people without having to phone everyone individually and allowing everyone to see what each person has contributed (unlike email ect) The dangers are easy to avoid and, if taught about to begin with, are never a problem

• Too many children under 18 have chosen to use Facebook as a tool for harassing, and their access to Facebook should be banned.

Children under the age of 18 have few boundaries, if they believe a certain behavior will win them attention and applause. Facebook offers a huge canvas on which they can publish whatever provocative posting they wish. The consequences can be minimal for the poster and dire for the victim. They can also be dire for the poster, since the cyber-world has at least as many predators as the natural world. Because Facebook is so widely available, its members should be screened by age, at the very least.

Posted by: LovelyKelly
  • Not for children

There is too much sex and violence on face book. I know some parents allow their children on face book and that's fine but I will not let my 12 year old on there. Yes I have a few cousins that I don't get to see often but they are over 13. I as a mom watch what I post and I make it a point to make sure it is all positive and upbeat. Nothing sexual or inappropriate for children.

• Exposure to alcohol advertising

I have been studying alcohol marketing, and I believe that free, unreported output of images of people drinking alcohol, which is the norm on Facebook, increases the risk of young people developing serious alcohol problems. Internet exposure does lead to earlier drinking, and earlier drinking does lead to a higher chance of problem drinking. Children think drinking is cool, associate it with sexual attractiveness and social enhancement, and with having fun generally.

• Children under the age of 18 shouldn't be allowed to use Facebook

Facebook has too many dangers that a young kid can't be able to understand them. A lot of kids make Facebook to play games or to chat with friends but also many others use Facebook to cyber bull, to attract people to hurt people. In these sites where every one is under cover of a name which the most time is fake you can't easily understand who is the victim and who is the abuser and it's very easy for someone to fall in somebody' s trap. I have heard about a lot of girls that have psychological problems or tried to kill themselves just because of Facebook!! Facebook is about having fun but when everybody can do anything in Facebook, Facebook is everything but fun.

• Children under the age of 18 don't know the dangers of using Internet...

They may give personal details which can be dangerous for them and their families. Furthermore they can be victims of cyperbulling, advertising or hackers. Everyone can have access to their profiles and they may don't understand that whatever they publish on these sites will stay there forever. Social networking creates a social competition. To elaborate... Everybody tries to publish the most extraordinary thing in order to make a good impression. Moreover, many children became addicted from social network sites and they may neglect their school studies. Finally, from my point of view social network sites (e.G. Facebook, Twitter) aren't for children under 18 who don't know how to use it safety put for people who need it for their job or something like that...

• I don't think kids/students should be allowed to use Facebook.

Students under the age of 13/18 think Facebook is a site that can be used for
    good purposes. It also affects their education. People think its a chance for bullying
    certain students because they cannot see them and can't do anything about it.
    Some parents have 24/7 job times and they have no idea what their kid is doing.
    They can't tell them what is right.

• Unless a parent can monitor their account real time, no.

Children are not infallible. Teaching them the dangers of predators and online safety does not mean that they won't make a mistake. Parents are ultimately responsible for their children safety. But it is impossible for a parent to stay on top of their child 24/7. Can you monitor what they say when they say it? Will they announce to everyone that they are home alone or at a specific store at the mall right now? Do you know each and every "friend" they have personally? Have you met them and their parents? It isn't just Facebook. Sixteen to eighteen year old's should have some leeway. Just like driving a car. Monitored at first until you finally let them go by themselves.

• What's so bad about being under 18?

People under the age of 18 have their precious phones and school to organize after school activities. They do not NEED Facebook for that. We all were able to easily plan thing well before cell phones and Facebook, but god forbid should a tween/teen talk face to face or even pick up a phone to call friends to do something. I am suprised my daughter even knows what the numbers on her phone are for! All Facebook does is give them another reason to avoid doing anything. It was started for college students first and foremost (we all know why). Why do teens that see each other on a daily basis still find the need to communicate on a computer??? I can go on forever about this. So I am calling it quites.

• Facebook is too open. G+ is a better option

I am thirteen, and have tried G+. It is really secure, as nobody can intrude your privacy or circles with the appropriate settings. FB has too many privacy settings that just complicate life, so I feel that G+ is a good medium for social networking esp. for kids.

• Children under the age of 18 are vulnerable for attacks

There are immature and inexperienced so it is very easy to be bullied and be a victim of sexual predators. They tend to try new things without understanding the seriousness of their action and the consequences.Since facebook provides unlimited freedom to the user they can do whatever they want secretly. This will ruin their reputation and they will lose their self- confidence. They can also get addicted to facebook and neglect their studies. And also they will lose the chance of socializing and going out and having fun with their friends. This will lead them to a state of depression and eventually be sick both mentally and physically.

Anonymous says2013-03-11T13:23:18.973
i believe no one should use facebook as it can lead to bad behaver and cause problems and accepting friend requests off people you dont know