Should children with mental or physical disabilities attend public schools?

Asked by: erindowning16
  • It's seems Fair.

How are disabled children supposed to feel normal if they don't go to school with normal students. They're not as different as we expect them to be. They're just different in body not mind or soul. They might feel unwanted if they have no normal friends. They might want to be apart of public schools clubs and other activities they do.

• All children deserve the right to an education

I attend a Public High School in South Western Iowa and definitely think that ANY child no matter mental or physical abilities has the right to a free education. Children don't just learn about math, science and reading in school. They learn about the norms of their society and more importantly they learn about themselves and discover who they are as a person! During grade school it is completely vital to a child's growth to be social and interact with other children, I don't believe that any person should be robbed of that just because they're born different. It's not like they chose that life style because they wanted to be ostracized from their peers, and if you don't want your child to be around them I guess take the homeschooling route, or you know, don't send them to Public Schools.

• Physically and mentally disabled children should be allowed to attend public schools.

Everyone has their own rights, and anyone should be allowed to attend whatever school they want to. We are all people and reguardless of what any of you people say, it won't affect your life, it affects theirs. Some people need to experience being around others. People with physical and mental abilities are no different then anyone else and no one understands that. They shouldnt be forced to go to a completely different school because of who they are. Having separate schools for people who are and aren't physically or mentally disabled is like having schools for people with blue or brown eyes.

• To all those on the other side

For those saying it isn't fair to children with disabilities to subject them to the bullying they'd receive from children without disabilities, I have this response.

I was friends with a number of children with disabilities in my home town when I was young. I was a starting centre for my junior high school football team and continued in that role through high school. I guess you would have called me one of the popular kids. There was a boy with down syndrome named Jeremy on our team as well. We'd go out and hit up pool halls, and bowling alleys and all kinds of other activities outside of school as a group and he'd often times be with us. He was different sure, but he was one of us and we never treated him like he wasn't. Even in the hallways of school he was our friend. One day I saw another kid, someone I guess you'd consider your average bully type, knock Jeremy's books out of his hands and I was about to step up and say something but before I even could there were 6 other football players and a few of our non sporting friends surrounding the bully. The bully ended up picking Jeremy's books back up and apologising immediately. We made it pretty clear that that behaviour wouldn't be tolerated and that bully never picked on Jeremy again.

Now I have a son who is in 4th grade and he has a friend with cerebral palsy. The disabled boy comes to our house occasionally for sleep-overs and although he is different and has some special needs he truly is just one of the gang.

I am not a fan of home schooling, or segregating of any kind... Humans are social animals and forcing people away from each other because they are different in some way, whether it be racially, sexually, physically, mentally, culturally, or any other perceived difference serves only to widen the divide between us. Every person carries a piece of the puzzle and it's are duty as humans to put it back together.

So then, the solution is not to separate these children, but to teach our children to embrace differences, to not judge, and to stand up for each other. That's our duty as parents, teachers, and human beings.

• Yes, they should go to public schools

Yes, they need to mingle with others and not feel bad because they have to go to a different school. It isn't fair to single them out and make them go to another school. They would feel good because they would know as much as the other people know or maybe more.

• Disabled children should be allowed to attend a normal school

Read Wonder by R J Palacio. The main character, August Pullman has 3 conditions, including a Cleft palate, making him look 'ugly'. This book follows him during his first year of school in Year 5, all the ups and downs and what it is like for a child like him to attend school.

• Of course, of course, of course

I am 14. I grew up with a severely disabled sister. She was by far the favorite and most popular classmate at her public school. Everyone loved her. She adored the attention (especially from the boys). She died two years ago at the age of 14. I have suffered the loss of one of the most amazing people in this world. Special needs children are people, treat them like anybody else. Inclusion for these children is the key.

• Yes they can

Of course they can. Just because they are special doesn't mean they can't be in the same school. Well I guess it would be easier to have their own school. Filled with things that can help them more than a average school. However they should have the chance to interact and be friends with people who don't have special needs. So yes I encourage them to stay in a school with normal healthy children.

• It depends on the severity

They should have special assistance within integrated classes. The point is, when they leave school and go out into the real world, they are going to have to learn how to deal with other people, unless they are so severely delayed developmentally that they will be in sheltered workshops. But unless that is the case, they need to learn to work with others and to interact with others. And let's be honest - the 'normal' kids need to learn how to behave and interact with them as well.

• They should be in separate schools

My child was hit in the face by a mentally ill child. They are a distraction also to other students. They scream out in the middle of class, throw fits, and attack other students. They should have a special school for them, it's not fair to other students to be afraid to go to school.

• Children with disabilities should not go to school with other "normal" children

There is no problem with a child that has something like mild dyslexia going to school with other children. I have a daughter who goes to a school with a boy in her class who has dyslexia, ADHD and a load of other problems. She is half asian and he has called her a "dirty yellow job stealer" multiple times, I have taught her to just ignore him and she does (she's not very easily offended or sensitive) but it still is completely wrong. I have talked to the teacher who deals with children with disabilities about his behavior but she just says that part of his IEP is that he can say whatever he wants whenever he wants. That is way too far. Also her class is disrupted constantly, making it harder for other children to learn. All of this happened in her AP biology class. At our high school to go to AP classes a student be on high honor roll (all As) and get a referral from the teacher that taught them the previous version of the class. The boy obviously doesn't have those qualifications and yet he is still allowed to go to the class (because he wants to). The teacher has tried to get rid of him from the class many times, but hasn't been able to.

• No, children with disabilities should not attend public schools.

Public schools subject children with mental or physical disabilities to a life of bullying. Children do not understand the concept of a disability. They just see those other children as stupid and weird. They pick on children less fortunate than them. We should not subject disabled children to this abuse.

• For the most part, no.

I'm actually fine with physically disabled kids attending public school, But I'm not fine with mentally disabled kids going to public school. There are two types of them: Severely mentally disabled or not really mentally disabled. The not really mentally disabled kind are so annoying in class and they get special treatment 'for their disability' when they really don't have any kind of problem. For the severely mentally disabled in public schools, I doubt that they understand what anything the schools are trying to teach. Better off to leave those kind at home, a life doomed to be stupid.
    (Don't blame me, blame genetics.)

• They should not attend a public school

Imagine the bullying he would suffer, other normal children would make fun of him. Imagine you have a disabled kid (blind,down, physically disabled, etc..). Obviously, you want only good things to happen, but if you put him in a school with normal people, he would feel out of habitat. Yei.

• They shouldn't go to a public school

I recently left private school and went to a public high school. When I was in the courtyard eating lunch a special needs child was running around on tables yelling things and he came up to random girls and started hitting them. My cousin was one of those people who got hit by him. She got suspended because she hit him back. Why should everybody else live in fear of that? It would be so much easier if they had different schools for them.

• Children with mental problems should have their own program to learn|

I think people with mental disabilities should get the same education as kids with out a mental disability but at the same time they would most likely not be able to survive regular colleges and parents most likely don't have enough money to afford regular colleges. I also think that if the child is highly functioning they might be able to attend a college but the price should be lowered or should be paid 70% of the price for the student to attend the college. If the child is not highly functioning the child should be put in a special program where they can learn without being pushed too much or struggling to learn in class and also have certain programs like therapy, sports, art, dance, and things like counseling. That is why I think kids with a mental disability should have a certain program so they can learn based on how they function either highly or not.

• Mental Disability kids are disruptions to learning and teachers and usually are bullied anyways. Having their own school will benefit them.

It is completely arrogant and doltish of you if you think they should go to public schools just so they can "feel normal". No, they don't feel normal around people who are normal. If they're with the other disability kids they'll make friends. Normal public school students make fun of them constantly and disability kids are coming into classrooms and making noises and people just stare at them and it disrupts the learning process.

Schools are stupid thinking someone with a mind of a third grader should be in any grade higher then third grade. They need to get an education suited for them, not just a generalized perspective of the classes abilities. They need to be sorted out at their own big school in classes that are made for their mind's capacity.

And no I do not mean any physical things like scoliosis or stuff, or people with light dyslexia or if they have and eating thing like Celiac disease or diabetes. Those are no reason to not go to a regular school. But if you're an 8th grader and have the mind capacity of a 3rd grader I have a problem.

• They need to attend special schools

Public or private, they need to attend special schools who are trained specifically to teach and handle those with disabilities. If the parents insists on sending their children to regular public schools, then those children should be treated the same as all children. No special treatments, same academic expectations etc.

Quan says2013-06-07T14:47:40.607
They should be able to get an education. However I hate the idea of it being through government funding, especially since they cost many times as much as the average student. The extra funding should come exclusively from private sources. If they fail, then they fail.