Should Christian Bakers Be Forced To Bake Cakes For Gay Weddings?

Asked by: Solidify
  • Yes they should

If these so called Christian bakers own a PUBLIC business they cannot willingly turn someone away simply because they do not like their sexual orientation, this is discrimination and has absolutely nothing to do with religious freedom. If Christian bakers were all about protecting their religious beliefs, they would also turn away anyone who isn't a Christian. That means they shouldn't bake cakes for atheists, Muslims, Jews or anyone else who doesn't share their religious beliefs. Otherwise, this is nothing but biased discrimination and nothing more. When you own a PUBLIC, you serve the public, otherwise you either own a private business, or face the consequences for your bigoted behavior.

• It is discriminatory

Are we now able to refuse to serve an African American due to our faith? Anyway, christians are picking and choosing where they want to defend their beliefs. Where is the outrage over divorced people getting remarried, which the bible identifies as wrong? For that reason, it is clear there is more to this than their "faith".

• Gay Couples Should be Provided Fair Service

They should be sued if they discriminate when publicly providing services and even have an established spot. Segregation is not okay and neither is this. Religion is not an excuse for immoral deeds. They're not asking anybody to pander or bend over backwards etc. they're just asking for fair service, they're asking for the cake the other people are getting.

• Yes, Because Your Religion Doesn't Make You Special.

Firstly, the question is very conspicuously worded to imply a false crisis, as though it's the poor widdle Chwistians who are being "forced" to do t'ings dey don' wanna doo. Waaah!

You're not being bullied, Christians, you're simply being asked to treat people fairly and equally as the law requires, just like the rest of us. Just as you can't discriminate against someone for their race or gender, a person's sexual preference is not your concern.

And stop pretending that you're being "Forced" to bake for gays. You of course are free to refuse them because of their gayness, just like they are free to sue you for discrimination and win. I'd say shut up and take money for the price of a cake, and revel in the vision of people being burned and flayed in hell for all eternity; y'know, what you Christians love thinking about for those who make you feel icky.

• People should not be forced into something which they do not believe in.

So no, I don't believe that Christian bakers should be forced to bake cakes for gay weddings. At the same time however, I remember when you (I speak specifically to the homophobic Christians that challenged my basic rights) hypocrites were crying, kicking and screaming simply because I wanted civil rights just like everyone else. Gay people want to have jobs? Oh lord, no, we can't have that. Gay people want to get married? Oh lord no, we can't have that. Gay people want to visit their partner in the hospital? Oh lord no, we can't have that.

So, while I do not think that Christian bakers should be forced to bake cakes for gay weddings, I still totally believe that this is nothing less than what you people deserve. You enjoyed treating me like dirt back when you had both the government and the majority of your country with you, and now it's my turn to sit back and take out some popcorn while you kick and scream about your rights being challenged. Except, you know, you totally deserve it for being prejudiced hypocrites. I'll feel a lot more sympathetic towards your problems once you stop crying about being discriminated against and once you realize that maybe, just maybe, that gay people were in the same place once (well, no, not really, we were treated a lot worse) and that you people were directly behind it so you probably aren't in much of a place to complain about having the majority against you.

• Yes because it is not your wedding you just make the desserts.

Those two people who wish to get married are going to do it weather you bake their cake or not. Refusing to bake the cake will only hurt the baker, because they'll miss out on the potential profit. As a company that bakes cakes for special occasions, you chose a profession where a client gives you an idea for a cake, and your job is to satisfy their requests. If a straight couple asked for a cake with a theme you did not agree with, would you turn them away too? In this day and age, you would have to be extremely ignorant to turn down hundreds of dollars just so you wouldn't have to top a cake with two little plastic men. If the marriage is legal, you should have no right to turn those homosexual customers away. Its sad that the laws in our country will prevent two people from being unified in love, but allow such ignorant, unnecessary discrimination in a bakery. Forcing Christian bakers to bake cakes for gay weddings would be a giant step in the right direction.

• Anti-gays have unfounded opinions.

When bakers own a public business, they must serve the public. If they wish to not serve someone, it's money and customers they are losing. People must learn to accept other people and serve them, no matter what their 'values' are. Anti-gays have unfortunate values anyways. So yes, they should be forced to serve gays.

• Poor Persecuted Christians

Poor sensational headline. Should businesses be "forced" to not utilize child labor? For many years now there have been regulations placed upon businesses. We do not want either government or corporate tyranny.
    I don’t think that a business owner’s personal religious beliefs are an excuse for discrimination. Yes, you could go to another bakery. Perhaps that bakery is right across the street. Maybe instead, it’s thirty miles away from you. But why should a couple have to resort to leaving a place of public accommodation for another?
    This is a dangerous slippery slope. Case in point, the doctor (private practice mind you) who refused to treat a child because she was the adoptive child of a lesbian couple. Was this the doctor’s “right”? Was it reasonable? What else should we yield to due to one’s religious rights? A Jehovah’s witness doctor refusing to do a blood transfusion? Sure this doctor may still treat others not of his religion, but when it comes to a lifesaving blood transfusion, s/he gets a pass because it goes against their religious beliefs. What about some of the questions I asked you before? Can a business deny service to blacks because they are viewed as an “inferior race”…..So their religion says? If you say no, then why would you say this? If it “infringes” upon his or her religious freedom, then why shouldn’t they be able to deny service to blacks, Jews, Muslims, whites etc. etc.? Where is the cut off point with a business owner’s religious beliefs and non-discrimination? Now, I have heard and read many state something like this: “People do not have a right to not be discriminated against.” Well, says who?! This will probably take us off course a bit with a debate about where we derive our rights, what it means to be moral, private property vs non-discrimination etc. I would say that there is some validity to this statement, but it is not an all across the board truth.
    It does come down to our duty to be reasonable, rational, decent members of a society in which we all reside and share. It is more reasonable for a baker to deny baking a cake with a swastika or for members of NAMBA than it is for them to deny it for a homosexual couple. Unjust laws do indeed have a duty to be disobeyed. But I am not convinced that non-discrimination laws are unjust at all. And like mentioned above, I’m tired of “gay” wedding cakes being compared to a Muslim being forced to sell pork, a Jewish baker being forced to make a cake for a Nazi etc. The comparisons are just not compatible. We are a society of law and order. We can only hope that said laws are rationally argued and voted upon. If so, there should be justification for following said law/s. We have evolved past our hunter/gather ancestors and have become a more cohesive societal unit- one with laws and regulations.

• Yes and no.

"At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses. This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are."

I don't think they should be so ignorant and run business out because their religious views especially in the recession that we're in. Even though I believe that they should be obligated, If I were going to get married and the Baker said that because his/her religious views (s)he wouldn't bake the cake, fine. I would be perfectly fine with going to a none @$$hole baker. I can easily just go to another bakery and give them my money. I find it rather hypocritical though how religious people would refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding but gay chefs and restaurant owners have no problem in using pork or shellfish despite it being against their religion. I have a problem saying no they should be able because of what I stated and because it's just a smokescreen and has nothing to do with their religion.

Let's have a good old hypothetical. I'm part of a church that believes interracial marriages are abominations. An interracial couple walks into my bakery, should I be allowed to reject them due to my religion? No I should not be allowed to. 1.) it is discrimination to refuse service to somebody based on their categories like gender, race, ethnic, religion, ect. And 2.) They're getting the ones getting the marriage, I am not the one. It doesn't go against my religion to bake a cake, it's just goes against my religion to have a gay marriage.

• Yes... (and no)

If they get an order that just so happens to be for a gay wedding, they shouldn't have the right to turn them down (unless they can't pay, or for other reasons than the fact that they are gay). No one said they need to approve, but they shouldn't be able to discriminate.
    Forced, no.
    Should they still do it, yes.

• It just isn't tolerant.

What ever happened to 'gay marriage won't affect you'? The gay lobby is so hypocritical here - they demand the definition of marriage be expanded, and justify it under the pretenses of 'freedom of association', but when someone doesn't want to associate with their ceremonies, they sue. You can't have it both ways .

Posted by: TN05
  • They should not be forced

Why would gay or lesbian force a Christian baker to go against what the Christian believes in? It's not because the Christian hates the gay or lesbian, it's just obvious that the Christian would be contributing is some way in something that has plainly been condemned a sin.

Most of the world continues to reject homosexuality. It may have become a popular movement in the North America and Europe, but that is small number compared to the rest of the world. The rest of the world is reacting to the same-sex "band wagon" and making a bold stand against such becoming an issue in their countries: India, Nigeria, and even Russia. Homosexuality is unnatural.

Same-sex marriage is a sin and therefore no Christian would want a part in it.

• Well, two words.

"Hell no!"

No offense, but this seems like a loaded question. Why should gays get any more special treatment than us straight people? You don't see us threatening atheists or gay people with lawsuits in these situations. Seriously, guys, don't get this wrong or anything, but what is so special about being gay? It's not that big of a deal anymore; they say they want to be seen as normal, and then start some huge gay pride parade in New York or someplace. It's nothing more than pure hypocrisy.

• Yes and no

They should be forced to bake cakes or provide any services to homosexuals. Anything other than that is discriminatory. But, baking wedding cakes is a different manner, It's not discrimination. They can do what they please and get married, but it doesn't mean that we have to condone something that we consider to be wrong.

• Yes and no.

• This is stupid

If you are employed by the cake company, it doesn't matter what your opinion is, you need to follow their rules or you are out of a job based solely on poorly placed morals about someone elses life choices.

It's great you can have an opinion on gay people, but it doesn't and SHOULDN'T extend into the workplace, make the happy couples cake or find a new job.

• Well, two words.

"Hell No!"

Honestly, forcing them to bake cakes for gay weddings is pure hypocrisy. They were the ones that said, "It won't affect your way of life", and then we see this happening. They're the ones advocating "gay rights", but expect to somehow have more rights than a straight person? Do you see atheist bakers facing a lawsuit for refusing to bake cakes for Christian weddings or anything like that? Honestly, in this day and age, what's so enormously special about being gay? It's not as big of a deal anymore and shouldn't be treated with any more reverence or respect than being straight.

• I say no.

Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake with a Swastika on it? I think most of us would agree that they should not be forced to do so. How is that any different than forcing a Christian to bake a gay themed wedding cake? You are asking them to support something that is against their faith. This is not about refusing to serve gays. Many Christians do. But asking then to bake a cake with two plastic men, or two plastic women on top, is asking then to condone and support something their faith considers an abomination. Am I the only one who sees a problem with that? Besides. Their are many other bakeries that would be more than happy to bake it for them.

• First Amendment rights must be protected.

I am for same-sex marriage. I am also for equal rights of gays and lesbians. But I also understand that their are many out there who still has not accepted homosexuality. They have a right to their opinions. We cannot force anyone to do anything that is in contrast of their religious beliefs.

• You know what really grinds my gears?

You know what really grinds my gears? When gay people refuse to accept religious people but accuse religious people of being intolerant when they wont accept a gay marriage.

For a group that is supposed to be so accepting of others, they really aren't. I have no problem with gay marriage, I believe they should be able to get married and live their lives happily, but if you want me to accept you for who you are then don't come to me and tell me that I'm wrong for wanting to believe in God.

Besides, if your gay, what are you doing at a Christian bakery? You know that Christians generally do not believe in gay marriage because of what is said in The Bible, so why would you go there in the first place? That's just dumb. Not dumb like, you can't speak, I mean dumb like you can't think...