• Yes

Nearly all Americans celebrate Christmas and it is a time of the year where people should just be inside preparing for the new year. There is no sense in leaving it out as a federal holiday because people would just take the day off from work anyways in order to be with family.

• Yes, Christmas is fun

The majority of Americans celebrate Christmas, even those who are not religious. It is also a free day off of work, which I don't think anyone can complain about. Christmas is already a federal holiday, which gives people some much-needed downtime. In fact, I wish more stores were closed on Christmas - a lot of establishments stay open nowadays!

• Yes, Christmas should be a federal holiday

I do believe that Christmas should be a federal holiday. The vast majority of Americans celebrate in one way or another. It would be a personnel nightmare to suddenly tell all those employees that they now have to request the day off and use vacation or personal time. There is no good reason for it not to be a federal holiday.

• Christmas Should Be A Federal Holiday

I believe that Christmas should be a federal holiday. It has been one for quite some time and nobody seems to have a problem with it. Changing this would not be right. Even those that do not celebrate Christmas are okay with it being a federal holiday. I guess they don't mind because its a day they get off from work.

• Christmas has become secular

Think about it christmas has become about buy gifts and watching christmas movies. Christmas is about a fat guy you comes to your house and leaves gifts that communist bastard. Christmas is being with your family and taking some time off nothing more than that. If you get upset over a secular holiday go to your safe place kid and grow up.

• Yes it should

Christmas is mainly a religious holiday for Christians to celebrate the birth of Christ, however its also a time for family to get together for the holidays. It allows people to get a day off from work. Everyone hates work. And the best part that your employer is required to pay you extra for working

• Why i love christmas PLEASE READ

Hi my name is aria and i am 11 years old. Everyone should celebrate Christmas because Christmas is the time to spend time with your family and wake up with each other and by you say that you hate Christmas and that you don't celebrate it your basically saying you hate your family. Your properly thinking what would i know I’m only 11,but something like this has happened to me before. In 2015 Christmas about 3 months before Christmas my mum and my nan had a big fight and wouldn't talk to each other at all, and every year my Nan sleeps over at our house and wakes up with us on Christmas day and opens presents with us but because of this fight my nan s not coming and so i have been trying to work out a way to make them forgive each other trust me its not going very good but I will not give up because if my mum and nan don’t forgive each other then I’m not going to celebrate Christmas because its not Christmas if your family is not there. I have thought of one idea to help them make up, so every year on Christmas eve or the night before Christmas eve my mum ,my two sister and my nan do Kris Kringle so I was thinking that this year we make my mum draw m nan and my nan draw my mum by not put mine or my sisters name is but make it look like our names are in there. So guys I hope you have learnt something really important about the true meaning or Christmas and why you should celebrate it.

• Why i love christmas PLEASE READ

• Dddd d d

Dvad ad da g g gg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g gg g

• Gfyjfuff gg j

K f kfk fk fk fk fk fk kkk k kk k k k k kvsdkfeer t t t hy j fd df yh g fd h tyg fd g tg y jh fd hyt fd h y g g hy y y y g r rt I LIKE NARWHALES

• Oh, that pesky religion inserting itself into our government again!

No, of course Christmas shouldn't be a federal holiday. While non Christians may have been unheard of in these great states during the Civil War era, Grant was certainly misguided in stepping around a systemic and vital tenant of government in order to appease the majority and making Christmas a federal holiday. What a gross disregard to the Establishment Clause of the Constitution and everybody else that's supposed to be represented by our federal government! Why should Christians get special treatment while we slap everybody else in the face and tell them to get to work on their holidays? Moreover, why should non Christians have to respect a Christian holiday? If everyone could stop appealing to tradition, they would realize that to give special privileges to one group alone is to subjugate all other groups and that's ethically wrong. The Declaration of Independence states that all men are created equal, yet it took us 200 years to live up to that declaration. The privileged majority in this country subjugated another group for many years. Likewise, the Establishment Clause separates religion and government so that everyone will be protected. And we still have the privileged majority oppressing others and asking why that's a bad thing.

• No, it is against our constitution.

Separation of church and state as required by our constitution this as a holiday is breaching my freedom and given rights, aggressively forcing me into that religion. However, no other religion is treated with this type of equality, Hanukkah might be celebrated but out entire nation isn't given a holiday for it, neither is other religious days for other religions. The United States was founded for the reason to give the people freedom of religion, speech. You can worship your own god on your own religious days but don't force the entire country to take a day off for your beliefs.

• Christmas is a religious holiday.

No matter how many generally winterized traditions get packed into this singular holiday, therefore convoluting the celebration, the day, and the name, are distinctly religious. It's well established that pre- and non-Christian traditions are more popular during the turning of winter than those specifically related to the religious holiday, but it does not, cannot, and will not uproot the name "Christmas" from its religious roots.

• No. Its a choice.

To make Christmas a federal holiday is 1) against the first amendment, 2) making the non Christians uncomfortable. I am Mormon but i still don't think it is fair to force Christmas onto everyone. Many people celebrate it, including me but I am not a justification for making it a holiday. But, to be fair, in the U.S today we go by majority. I don't know the exact percent, but but if we went by this debate, it would be a federal holiday.

• The name Christmas is too governing.

I don't think it's fair nor good to impose a religious holiday upon an entire country. I like the freedom of going to my favorite cafe or grocery store, or even other places in the city every day of the year. But no, some cult restricts me from doing this. The messed up thing on top of that is that we are all pressured in making sure to buy gifts for one another and feel out of place when we are again fored to be confronted with this reality on a day we call christmas. It's a twisted way of adhering to our economic needs and giving in to the norm. Why can't we have a more seCy holiday? Especially in this cold time of year? I hate Christmas with a passion. Thanks but no thanks.

• 1st Amendment for All

Our 1st Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The Constitution does not afford them to legally create a law (in this case, a "Federal Holiday"), that establishes religion. In effect, by allowing "Christmas" to be a federal holiday, this establishes a religion of the country when we revere Freedom of Religion. Because it is improbable to designate a "Federal Holiday" for every religion: to ensure each religion is being equally respected, no "Federal Holiday" that is associated with a religion should be enacted.

• If lunar new year isn't...

If Christmas is a public holiday because many people celebrate it in USA, so is lunar new year. If people who celebrate lunar new year can't federally take a day off, why can people who celebrate Christmas? In a country like USA, the right to celebrate the respective "most important day of year" should be equally given to every citizen, regardless of the population.
    However, following this logic, a single person can declare a "most important day of year", and the public holiday system will be in chaos, with conceivably everyday a national holiday. Therefore we shouldn't make any "most important day of year" a federal holiday, considering the implications.
    Therefore Christmas, one of the "most important day of year", albeit with many celebrators, should not be a federal holiday.

• Don't force Christmas on everyone.

This country and its government should not be bias towards any religion. That is one of the founding reasons of this country. The Bill of Rights and freedom of religions. In God we trust should also be removed from the money, and pledge of allegiance should not contain words "one nation under God". Also about 25% of U.S. citizens is not Christian. Forcing Christmas upon them does not seem right. It's okay to have a federal holiday in December, even still on 25th, just find a different reasons to which everyone can relate to.

• Christmas day is not a federal holiday. December 25 is!

The law signed by Grant in 1870 creates the DAY of December 25 as a holiday for federal employees of the District of Columbia. The wording: "commonly known as Christmas", does not in itself mean that the government endorses any religion. If law were written more specifically, it would have been unconstitutional (first amendment).

• Christmas is defined, not shared, as the celebration of the birth of Jesus.

From www.usa.gov:

"Christmas Day is a celebrated on December 25. Christmas is a Christian holiday marking the birth of the Christ Child. Decorating houses and yards with lights, putting up Christmas trees, giving gifts, and sending greeting cards have become holiday traditions even for many non-Christian Americans. Find tips to help celebrate."

There is no ambiguity. There are clearly a handful of confused participators, but there is no ambiguity.

Wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is the same as saying "Happy Birthday Jesus." I grew up with much of the same confusions that many do - the baby Jesus, Santa Claus, snowmen, secular holiday movies ... I understand the season. I also understand that the season has nothing to do with Christ. Christmas is about Jesus. The season is about the season. Which season? Well it's not Spring or Summer or Fall. Definitions change over time and adapt to contemporary meanings, and it may be common knowledge that the 25th of December was celebrated long before Jesus came into the picture, but today, in the U.S.A., Christmas is a Catholic (Christian) celebration of the birth of Jesus.

Therefore, any recognition of Christmas by a state or federal entity violates my right to be I affiliated to that religion. Although I may not be require to perform a rite in relation to Christmas, the fact that it is a federal holiday is a violation. 35 years of torturing me is a lifetime. I will not be held hostage anymore.

The federal government must unrecognize Christmas as a holiday.