Should Christmas be celebrated in public schools?

• Christmas is Christmas

I think that Christmas should be celebrated in public schools because in other countries for example Islamic countries, Eid is celebrated even though there could be foreigners in the public school. So I think there should be no debate about celebrating Christmas in Public schools because we are a Christian country and we should celebrate our holy event in schools and at home and everyone has the right to choose whether to celebrate Christmas at home or not

• Christmas is for everyone

Christmas is no longer only viewed as a religious holiday. It's a time for giving, receiving, and spending time with family and friends. It seems like the religious aspect is only mentioned at Church. Children grow up thinking that if you are a good child Santa will bring you gifts. Why ruin it for the children?

• Yes, it should

It should be celebrated because most people look forward to it through the holidays. That would also eliminate Christmas holiday. For middle schoolers it is also a break after mid-term testing.If you don't like it you should not be a part of it. That is why Christmas should be celebrated.

• Why Not, Every one Loves Christmas?

My teachers play Christmas music. There are even a few non Christians in my classes, and they don't have a problem with it, because most christmas music talks about Santa, trees, presents, snow, and even kids. That is the kind of music that we listen to in class and no one has a problem with it.

• Christmas should be celebrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas is so much fun! Why would you not want to celebrate christmas? Most of the times, people just celebrate by putting lights in their classroom or pictures of Santa and all of that fun stuff! It is great for the kids! They absolutely love it. I know from past experience when I taught in first grade! I had lights all the way around the room and a blowup polar bear. Trust me, I was their favorite teacher. I work near mall of America so that is why we have a lot of excitement going on in our classes. Everybody goes and rides roller coasters after every school day in the winter season! I hope y'all learned from this message!!! Have blessed day!!!

• Christmas is for everyone!

Christmas is no longer specifically a religious festival, most of the symbolism of Christmas comes from pagan festivals originating in northern europe. Christmas today is as it has always been a winter festival to celebrate joy and getting merry. Now come on you scrooges out there, every country needs one festival that they all celebrate together, as the vast majority of people in America celebrate Christmas, when I say vast majority I mean vast majority, I mean 95% vast majority, Christmas should be that festival. If you don't think this is fair you probably don't think democracy is fair either, we have to suffer a whole government for 4 years based on a 51% majority (if we are lucky). So Merry Christmas to everyone and I mean everyone!

P.S: if I was living in country were 95% of the population celebrated a festival that I did not, I would definitely be all in favor of them celebrating it in their public schools.

• Yes, it's not harming anyone

Christmas is a part of many people's lives, and some people also celebrate it but not the actual christian way. Some just open presents and have quality time with family and friends. It is not harming anyone, and learning about different people's beliefs is good for children. I wouldn't be offended if anyone said happy kwanzaa or said something different than merry christmas since everyone is different.

• Not a problem

All children are exposed to Christmas in the stores at Christmas time, through Christmas specials on television, or from hearing other children talk about Christmas. I think it behooves teachers to talk about current events in class, and if the current event that many adults are talking about in the world is Christmas, then it should be talked about. Hanukah, Kwanza, etc. Could also be celebrated. When I was in school, the Jewish girl in my class would bring in traditional food at passover and we would all eat it respectfully, and we even had a menorah in the classroom. However, we definitely celebrated Christmas and St. Valentine's Day as well. Christmas is a part of American culture that will never go away, even if it stops being very religious.

• Definetly!

A lot of kids look forward to Christmas, and almost all of them want to celebrate in school again like the teachers did for them when they were very small. Give them a fair chance at least! A lot of people think that kids out grow the ability to celebrate Christmas. But that's not true!

• Yes and it better stay in school.

Has America changed that much in the last twenty years since I was a kid looking forward to Christmas? Besides summer vacation, Christmas is the best time of the year. Or at least that's what i think. If they didn't celebrate Christmas in school then there would be no need for a Christmas break.

• I keep going back and forth between yes and no.

I always come back to no. Don't get me wrong, I am a Christian who celebrates Christmas proudly but I believe in equality for every child out there. Whether they are Christian or not and I believe that celebrating a religious holiday should be kept at home, not at school. I wouldn't want a Jewish child to feel cast out because of their different beliefs.

• I'm broke Bye.

I ain't gonna pay for somebody's present, like ain't nobody got time for that. BOIIIII I'm broke and I ain't going to walmart and spending MY MONEY on a present like bye. I'm broke and I can't afford some 10 dollar crap likeee I am broke. No No No No

• I'm broke Bye.

• Say No Santa

If any Muslims even Charlie Brown's gang celebrate this, this could instantly become untrustworthy to serious matters about birth. Christmas is an evil holiday and can send many Canadians like you to the Devils Kingdom. If you destroy it, your life would be so much better. Some of the lights are broken between Charlie Sheen's misery, Santa is the only guy who looks like Mario (that was from an old guy with a moustache at Sears), the Christmas tree is burning, public schools are ready to eat children alive cleverly buzzing about, and other holidays will be "devilishly manipulated" too.

• No no no

What if there is Muslims in that school? Huh? What will we do then. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• No they shouldn't

Christmas is a religious holiday. Also just because lots of people celebrate it doesn't mean everyone does. Its not fair! Some people celebrate Hannikah and no one celebrates that in schools. If we have to celebrate Christmas in school, then we should have to celebrate other religious holidays like Haunnikah.

• No they shouldn't

• No they shouldn't

• Where is the rage?

Lets say we allow Christmas by bringing Santa, choirs and etc non Christians "are forced" to participate, would it be fair when Eid, Chinese New Year or other celebration, Christian kids are forced to participate? Is it fair? Okay, when it comes to Christmas many "Christian parents" are complaining but they not bothered to go to the Church on Sunday. Where is the rage? :)

• The US Constitution is a separation of church and state

Either there is a separation of church and state or their isn't. Someone mentioned that Christmas should be celebrated in American schools because Eid is celebrated in schools in Islamic countries. In most Islamic counties, there isn't a separation of church and state, it is all intertwined. As a Muslim, I don't think that as long as the Constitution supposedly guarantees a separation of church and state, no religious holidays should be celebrated in public schools including my own. The fact that we schools make such a big deal of these seasonal parties is ridiculous. Schools are paying for santa to come visit the kids and this is just adding to the commercialization of Christmas. Christmas is supposed to be about celebrating one's faith and also for spending time with family and friends. It should not be a time when people act against their faith and lie to their children about a mystical man in a red suit. My sister is a born again Christian and I can honestly say that no one in my family seems to agree with me more than her, but than again she follows the bible.