Should Christmas be celebrated in public schools?

• Christmas is Christmas

I think that Christmas should be celebrated in public schools because in other countries for example Islamic countries, Eid is celebrated even though there could be foreigners in the public school. So I think there should be no debate about celebrating Christmas in Public schools because we are a Christian country and we should celebrate our holy event in schools and at home and everyone has the right to choose whether to celebrate Christmas at home or not

• Christmas is for everyone!

Christmas is no longer specifically a religious festival, most of the symbolism of Christmas comes from pagan festivals originating in northern europe. Christmas today is as it has always been a winter festival to celebrate joy and getting merry. Now come on you scrooges out there, every country needs one festival that they all celebrate together, as the vast majority of people in America celebrate Christmas, when I say vast majority I mean vast majority, I mean 95% vast majority, Christmas should be that festival. If you don't think this is fair you probably don't think democracy is fair either, we have to suffer a whole government for 4 years based on a 51% majority (if we are lucky). So Merry Christmas to everyone and I mean everyone!

P.S: if I was living in country were 95% of the population celebrated a festival that I did not, I would definitely be all in favor of them celebrating it in their public schools.

• Yes, it's not harming anyone

Christmas is a part of many people's lives, and some people also celebrate it but not the actual christian way. Some just open presents and have quality time with family and friends. It is not harming anyone, and learning about different people's beliefs is good for children. I wouldn't be offended if anyone said happy kwanzaa or said something different than merry christmas since everyone is different.

• Not a problem

All children are exposed to Christmas in the stores at Christmas time, through Christmas specials on television, or from hearing other children talk about Christmas. I think it behooves teachers to talk about current events in class, and if the current event that many adults are talking about in the world is Christmas, then it should be talked about. Hanukah, Kwanza, etc. Could also be celebrated. When I was in school, the Jewish girl in my class would bring in traditional food at passover and we would all eat it respectfully, and we even had a menorah in the classroom. However, we definitely celebrated Christmas and St. Valentine's Day as well. Christmas is a part of American culture that will never go away, even if it stops being very religious.

• Definetly!

A lot of kids look forward to Christmas, and almost all of them want to celebrate in school again like the teachers did for them when they were very small. Give them a fair chance at least! A lot of people think that kids out grow the ability to celebrate Christmas. But that's not true!

• Yes and it better stay in school.

Has America changed that much in the last twenty years since I was a kid looking forward to Christmas? Besides summer vacation, Christmas is the best time of the year. Or at least that's what i think. If they didn't celebrate Christmas in school then there would be no need for a Christmas break.

• Of course it should be celebrated in schools.

Christmas, like other holidays, should be given the full opportunity to be expressed and celebrated along with other holidays. No matter what their religious implications are, students and teachers should be able to celebrate any holiday they wish, as long as it is not forced on anyone and does not interfere with the learning process.

• Yes, Christmas should be celebrated in public schools.

I see no reason not to celebrate Christmas in public schools, as long as all the other winter holidays are celebrated also. Learning about other people's beliefs and traditions enriches our children's lives, and should be encouraged in our schools, not squashed as something dangerous or scary. We can and should embrace a variety of opinions and traditions in public schools.

• Yes, Christmas should be celebrated in schools.

Christmas is a very popular holiday in the United states and people should be allowed to celebrate it in schools. That being said, other holidays should be allowed in schools as well such as Kwanzaa and Hanukkah. We live in a very diverse country and it is beneficial for children to learn about the holidays that people from other religions and cultures celebrate.

• Christmas is for everyone

Christmas is no longer only viewed as a religious holiday. It's a time for giving, receiving, and spending time with family and friends. It seems like the religious aspect is only mentioned at Church. Children grow up thinking that if you are a good child Santa will bring you gifts. Why ruin it for the children?

• No No No No No No

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

• No they shouldn't

Christmas is a religious holiday. Also just because lots of people celebrate it doesn't mean everyone does. Its not fair! Some people celebrate Hannikah and no one celebrates that in schools. If we have to celebrate Christmas in school, then we should have to celebrate other religious holidays like Haunnikah.

• The US Constitution is a separation of church and state

Either there is a separation of church and state or their isn't. Someone mentioned that Christmas should be celebrated in American schools because Eid is celebrated in schools in Islamic countries. In most Islamic counties, there isn't a separation of church and state, it is all intertwined. As a Muslim, I don't think that as long as the Constitution supposedly guarantees a separation of church and state, no religious holidays should be celebrated in public schools including my own. The fact that we schools make such a big deal of these seasonal parties is ridiculous. Schools are paying for santa to come visit the kids and this is just adding to the commercialization of Christmas. Christmas is supposed to be about celebrating one's faith and also for spending time with family and friends. It should not be a time when people act against their faith and lie to their children about a mystical man in a red suit. My sister is a born again Christian and I can honestly say that no one in my family seems to agree with me more than her, but than again she follows the bible.

• I say no point blank period

I say no because its just idiotic no one want to fill left out . If you want a party let it be .But don't let it be classified with the name not every one is comfortable with.And some children might be pressured into something just to be like it not divided by other children

• Christmas is pagan and living for God is a serious matter.

The romans allowed heathen customs to be adopted into the church in order to gain the pagans ( people who worshipped other gods which romans are known for) idol worship is a big no no. If people do it at home why should it be forced on those who truly are uncomfortable with it. Another thing, if a whole lot are celebrating it, that raises fed flags. Many donot want jesus. The it is Jesus's birthday, why is everyone else getting gifts that day and on their birthday. Living for God is a spiritual life which can discern what is right from wrong. There is darkness in Christmas. Jesus every day is awesome. I have heard some one say they knew it was pagan,but they did it for their kids. Teach them to follow Jesus and enjoy life in a holy way that is best for the kids. People do many things with out searching things out. You want to order a gift for Christmas probably off the internet, you will search for it, type in Christmas paganism, you will find out a lot.

• No they shouldn't

• No they shouldn't

• Where is the rage?

Lets say we allow Christmas by bringing Santa, choirs and etc non Christians "are forced" to participate, would it be fair when Eid, Chinese New Year or other celebration, Christian kids are forced to participate? Is it fair? Okay, when it comes to Christmas many "Christian parents" are complaining but they not bothered to go to the Church on Sunday. Where is the rage? :)

• Not everyone celebrates christmas

Believe it or not Christmas is a Christian holiday and religion has no place in public schools. Consider this, only about a third of the population are Christians, why make everyone else celebrate a holiday that is not theirs. It is inconsiderate to make people who are not Christian celebrate the holiday as all it would do is create division and make children feel left out.
    Jews, Muslims, Hindu's, Buddhists and others do not celebrate the holiday, just Christians.

• No! Why should it??

It is not fair! Put your self in a child's shoes (that didn't celebrate christmas) I've been there. Its not fun. Take right now for example were have having an ugly CHRISTMAS sweater dance, I don't have one, but I do have an ugly (c)han(n)uk(k)a(h) sweater. That is not my fault! It should be illegal because its almost like discrimination! Besides there are other options. How about an ugly WINTER HOLIDAY sweater dance. This really makes me mad when insensitive adults pick on kids. Believe me I've had teachers say Jews are going to the place "down under". It makes me sick! And by the way... Why is no in red and not green why cant they both be in the same colour?