• Absolutely.

Many people die from lung cancer and heart disease each year from smoking. So I honestly think it should be banned and I'm 13 years old. My grandfather died of lung cancer about 6 years back and it just causes a great sense of denial and emptiness if you lose someone close at the hands of nicotine. So yes, cigarette smoking should be banned.

• Its very bad and you know it

Smoking cigarettes kills more Australians than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined. They are bad for the environment. If you saw the ingredients in them you would change your mind about smoking cigarettes. They are bad for your colon, your heart, your lungs, and every other part of your body.

• Cigarettes are bad for you.

Smoking cigarettes kills more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined. They are bad for the environment. If you saw the ingredients in them you would change your mind about smoking cigarettes. They are bad for your colon, your heart, your lungs, and every other part of your body.

• Smoking can be very harmful to everybody.

First, smoking develops cancer, and there is more than 4000 toxic chemicals inside a cigarette. Also, the nicotine inside is very addictive.
    Second, smoking is also very harmful to other people. People around a smoker can also smoke by second hand smoking. Also, the government spends thousands of dollars in curing people sick by smoking.
    Because of these reasons, I believe we should ban smoking. Thank you.

Posted by: jami
  • Yes

Overall, I think that the world would be a much better place without cigarettes. I suggest the government to take action immediately and stop that puff of smoke from coming out of a person’s mouth and make them happy and invincible from smoke! Everyone will be smoke-sick-free from the banning of smoke!

Posted by: Jhon
  • it affects our environment

Cigarette smoking damages the body gradually in a number of different ways. There are thousands of chemicals in the average puff of cigarette smoke. Despite all that, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or CDC, 26% of American adults continue to smoke, with heart-rending outcomes. Each year smoking is blamable for 430,000 deaths (one every five). Smoking is not just a habit as many people thought for many years. Some groups like Pro-Tobacco Group often claim that cigarette smokers have the right to abuse their body if they choose. They believed that all the health dangers of cigarettes will fade in a puff of smoke; when they quit, assuming that smoking from, say, age 16 to age 28 will have no long-term effects, smokers often fall back on an "I can always quit tomorrow" (next month or next year) philosophy. Recent studies show that the quitting success rate among teenagers is very low; less than 16% of the 633 teen smokers in the study were able to quit. Cigarette smoking needs to be banned because it affects the health of the smoker, the health of non-smoker (secondhand smoke) and, the environment.

• Will Kill You

Worked in a cigarette factory for 14 years and if you only knew of some of the stuff that gets mixed in with tobacco! If you want to harm your own body thats one thing but the people around you should have their rights too! We go out to eat more often now that you cant smoke in public eating places.

• Smoking kills many.

Smoking kills around 1.2 million people each year because of smoking in China which is 2,000 people a day. Smoking gives many illnesses like breathing problems, bad heart conditions, oral cancer, high blood pressure and much more. Smoking is also stinky. People can get sick from second hand smoking. This is why I think smoking should be illegal.

• Smoking should be banned!

Smoking is very harmful to others and an average of 400,000 people die of it a year. 50,000 people die from exposure to second hand smoke. 8.6 million people are ill because of smoking or the smoke. Although it is very addicting, smoking is harmful to others and had a large death toll. Innocent bystanders are also affected. Even though the FDA enforces rules for the cigarette companies to follow, such as putting images of the outcome of smoking, people still smoke and innocent bystanders are still harmed.

• It's extremely bad for your health and people around you

I've experienced the tragedy of watching loved ones fall victim to the disease of tobacco addiction. People who are addicted become incredibly irritable, depressed, and violent when they go a while without getting their smoke. If we could limit (not totally outlaw) sales of cigarettes to people who are turning 18 at present then we could slow the rate of addiction. We could also have a "New Smokers Tax" that raises taxes on cigarettes sold to people who are becoming legal purchasers of the deadly product.

• No! It should not be banned.

Take away our rights why don't you.
    Why don't be ban everything that is a possible danger and threat to us, and that could potentially lead to death?
    Smoking is only harmful in excessive amounts. Same way junk food is only harmful in large quantities. It is people to blame for abusing this leisure. Once again, humans blame another factor for their own destruction. Good job society!

• Smoking cigarettes is good.

No, because it is the smokers' choice. They can do whatever they choose to do. No one can stop them. If they want to put tar in their lungs they can. It can also be quiet fun. You should be able to smoke a cigarette if you choose to, okay?

• IM BETTER than you

If smoking should be banned because it causes cancer or kills people, why arent fast food restaraunts banned. They cause cancer. And what about soda, soda causes cancer. So do doughnuts. There are plenty of things that cause cancer. If people who say they should be banned actually paid attention or did research on what they were talking about then they would know this.

• It's MY body!

No one should have the right to say what others can or cannot do with their own bodies! The insurance companies started this whole "hate everyone who smokes" or "everyone who smells a tiny bit of a cigarette will DIE" thing so they wouldn't have to pay for anything related to smoking. It's MY body and I should have every right to smoke if I want to! The government should have no authority when it comes to what's healthy or unhealthy. Just warn people that smoking a lot might lead to health problems and leave it at that. It should be our choice...No one else should be telling people what they can or can't do! Ever since the government decided to control everything they've added more and more to the list of what they're allowed to control and it's getting crazy! I'd like to know why the people don't raise hell and do something to stop them! Before long, they'll be controlling how much we can eat or what foods we can eat depending on if THEY think it's healthy or not. Who thinks that would never happen? They even took flavored cigarettes away from us adults because they SAY it encourages younger smokers...But where's their scientific proof? Kids who want to smoke don't care what flavor it is...They're going to try smoking because it happens! It just happens and nothing people do or say will stop them if they feel like smoking! Alcohol kills how many people but they haven't taken away the flavored alcohol! Why not? Insurance companies are in charge! Alcohol probably kills more than smoking but they won't try taking that away again! It's maddening how people think they should be in charge of MY body! People who don't bother others with their smoke should not be bothered or threatened. I feel like I have to hide out like a common criminal just because I happen to enjoy smoking VERY much. I'm not hurting anyone else and I make sure of that...But that's MY choice!

• This is crazy.

Someone said cigarettes must be banned because smoking kills people.. Well, so do guns and alcohol.. AND CARS! It's scary how people have nothing better to do but judge people 24/7 while trying to make them more like them or if that doesn't work - remove them from society. I've quit smoking years ago and I have no problem with people smoking.
    About the lung cancer - the truth is that no doctor can tell whether it is caused by smoking or not. High percentage of lung cancer victims are non-smokers. In some years the percentage is higher than that of smokers. It's not about second hand smoking.. Whatever the cigarette smoke has can also be found on every highway or large busy street - minus the nicotine (which is not harmful to humans.. Actually it's pretty close to caffeine - and that we all enjoy). So, just because you don't like the sight of a smoking person that doesn't mean he or she must be punished for it. Whiners.

• Black market society?

If smoking was banned the consumers who were unable to quite smoking would be forced into buying black market cigarettes therefore being sent to prison. Who pays for prison? The tax payer i.e YOU. We work hard all day so some addicts can sit on their buts thinking all day about a 'ciggy.'

• La la la

The reason why smoking should not be banned is because 1) Smoking relaxes people. The people that smoke also create jobs, and brings a huge profit to the government, which helps them build schools, hospitals, and public buildings. So without cigarettes there would be no jobs, no funds for new buildings and the government would not be making a profit anymore.

• no it shouldn't be banned

I dont understand why people think its their job to take care of other peoples health. It was the smoker's choice to start smoking. NOBODY MADE THEM SMOKE! Everyone knows the bad things about smoking so if they still choose to smoke after that, guess what? Its not your problem. I dont personally smoke but if I dont want to be around smoke or people that are smoking, I WALK AWAY. Honestly its just not your choice..Or your problem what people do to their bodies.

• NO, smoking shouldn't be banned.

Banning smoking would be an exercise in way too much government control. Then wouldn't we have to ban drinking because it causes domestic violence and needless car crashes? If Marijuana is legal, smoking shouldn't be banned because it the lesser of the two evils. I do not agree with children inhaling second hand smoke, but neither do I agree with world hunger and poverty. That's life, and it's sad.

• People's Choice.

While smoking is banned, it is a persons own choice to start smoking and everyone has been informed of the consequences. That being said the government could put in more regulations to make it harder to obtain cigarettes and thereby making it harder to start in the first place. There are so many people who are already addicted to smoking so banning it altogether would be a cruel thing to do to them.

Anonymous says2013-03-24T22:17:08.410
Cigarettes should be banned, I think it's stupid if it wasn't! IT ruins peoples lives.
Anonymous says2013-07-19T13:44:09.343
Banning, outlawing is the only real solution. Children will continue to take it up if they see that it is being done openly by adults and their peers. They see the hypocrisy of society saying it's so bad for you but at the same time allowing smokers to openly smoke in front of them and force non-smokers to breath the second hand smoke.
Aidil_Iqmal99 says2013-10-30T12:35:57.700
In my opinion, i am agree to this because smoking doesn`t only kills you, but it kills non-smokers who inhaled the smoke. It is also a waste of money when you can save it to buy textbooks for your children, renovate the house and such.
TheBebater says2014-04-13T05:26:23.283
Why is that cigarettes are not added to the most dangerous illegal drugs substances, and in addition did you know that nicotine is one of the most addicting substances. The harmful effects of smoking extend far beyond the smoker. Exposure to second hand smoke can cause serious diseases and death. Each year, an estimated 126 million Americans are regularly exposed to secondhand smoke and almost 50 thousand nonsmokers die from diseases.