• The Right to Choose

I belive circumcision of mines should be illegal because it violates the individuals right to relgious freedom and mutilates a child. However, in the name of religious freedom, adults should be allowed to have a circumcision if they choose to do so. I belive it is wrong to permanately change a child's body (with no real benefit. Obviously surgery to save the child should be allowed) without their consent, and children cannot give informed consent under US law.

• We're effectively talking about genital mutilation

Why is it necessary to -if I may put it like that- mess with the genitals of a perfectly healthy baby boy or girl? The religious (and mainly the theists) always bring up the argument that we are perfect the way we are. God has supposedly created us in his image right? Then why would you deem it necessary to circumcise a baby boy for example? Are you saying that every time God creates a boy he somehow messes up the genitals? It just seems nonsensical to me.
    Here we have supposedly the God of the universe who created everything within it and yet he is remarkedbly interested in the genitals and the sexual behavior of a bunch of evolved primates on an exoplanet.

You're also violating the right of the kid to choose. We have such a thing called ''physical integrity''. By forcing a kid to be circumcised you give them no opportunity whatsoever to choose for themselves. By the time the kid grows up and finds out about this, he or she harbor feelings of resentment towards his or her parents.

So to sum it up: it should be outlawed absolutely. Give kids the right to choose for themselves. We shouldn't continue with this practise because of an ancient tradition in which one man supposedly did it because God commanded this of him.

• Consent is a major part of the law

Newborn babies classify as a human being, they have rights, and 1 of those rights is that in order for something to happen to their body, they have to give consent, however as we all know a newborn baby cannot give consent, it can barely even communicate with other humans outside talking shit that doesn't mean anything.

When you circumcise a baby without their consent(since they can't give any) you will have violated them and that is unacceptable.

• Yes, these kids have no choice.

These kids have no choice just because of the mir fact that they are kids. It's their body they choose how to use it. Their parents should not choose to cut a piece of their kids body. Really, it's not your body. Do you want that to happen to you?

• Yes it is an infringement on human rights

You should be atleast 19 years or older before deciding to cut off a piece of your body. Religion should not have a hold over government. No matter how firmly you believe, if it is not ethical it should not be allowed. I'm sorry to all my religious freinds. However, it is for the best.

• Why would it?

If a baby was born with some odd abnormality, say, a third arm growing outside of its back, it would not be mutilation to have said arm removed- we do not require the baby's consent to cut its ambelical cord do we? Because it's a useless bit of flesh that serves no purpose.

• The Right to Choose

If circumcision is banned so should abortion. I believe abortion should be illegal because it violates the individuals right to freedom and murders a child. I believe it is wrong to permanently murder a child (with no real benefit. Obviously abortions to save the mother, in rare cases, should be allowed) without their consent, and children cannot give informed consent under US law.
    I copied someones response because the same argument is valid for abortion.

• The Right to Choose

I believe abortions should be illegal because it violates the individuals right to religious freedom and kills a child. However, in the name of religious freedom, adults should not be allowed to have an abortion if they choose to do so. I belive it is wrong to permanently kill a child (with no real benefit. Obviously surgery to save the child should be allowed) without their consent, and children cannot give informed consent under US law.