Should citizens be legally required to vote in national elections?

• Zxzxx DD D

XzxSDQQEWCX X S A D S D S D SD S D S D S DS D S D SD S D S D D S D S D S S SD SD A S D S D SD D SD S D S D S D SD D S

• Yes they should

Because the government needs to hear what do american citizen thinks. If people don't turn out to vote, they're definitely stating their opinions, many of which are both strongly held an well thought through. One pf the mandatory voting biggest advocates former american political science association president AREND LIPHART. As matter in fact american should and have to vote.

• Bacetrm mhj ,kul.,

Nyhtkj7u,ii hjh, hhjjjjj jjl.I jj.Li j,j jjhh hj jbu j j j j j ju h b h h j h h h hbu , ,mm k k km k k kl k k k k k l k kl k k k k k k k kl k k k k j k k k k l l l k i jk k jk j j j j j j j j hj k l ; l l l l m m k k j j j j j j j j j j j

• Bacetrm mhj ,kul.,

• Makes sense to me

I see this leading to a better and more "united" USA. For those saying that this takes away from freedom - I don't think they fully appreciate the value voting has to the freedom we enjoy in this country. It would probably take this type of radical action to get more of citizens voting and our country (in order to stay a great country) needs more people voting so that policies and politicians are more representative of the country's diverse makeup. Even if you're required to vote - you can still cast a blank ballot.

• Obtain Better Results

I think it would be interesting to require people to vote in national elections or maybe all elections. The only downfall to this would be a larger population of uninformed voters, casting their opinion, when they really haven't taken the time to make sound choices. Overall, I think we would be far better off.

• Don't take away choices.

This is a country that was founded on freedom. To demand a citizen be required to vote is not freedom of choice, it is dictatorial.
    Perhaps someone doesn't like anyone who is running. Should they be required to vote for "the lesser of two evils?" I don't think so.
    Perhaps someone believes their vote no longer matters, doesn't care, doesn't feel well, is in the hospital, or any other reason that one can think of. It's an individual's choice....Don't take that choice away.

• Absolutely not

Citizens should not be legally required to vote in national elections. It is a right to vote but not a requirement. People who do not care about politics or the election but are forced to vote will just randomly choose. The election is about who the people want, not who are just randomly chosen. What if a person doesn't like any of the candidates? It would be unfair to force them to pick someone they don't want in office.

Posted by: jus
  • Voting

No, I do not think that citizens should be required to vote in any election. Voting is a right not a requirement. We are free and should do what we want. I didn't vote in this election because my state is already Red, so my vote wouldn't matter one bit. Support the right to choose.

• Voting is a Right, Not a Requirement

Voting in America is a right, not a requirement. If citizens are forced to vote in national elections, we live in a dictatorship as opposed to a democracy. No one should be forced to buy health care and no one should be forced to own a gun. Everyone has the freedom to do what they want.

• This is a free country.

America is a free country, there is no reason they should be legally required to vote in the election. Of course it is important for as many citizens as possible to vote, but it should not be a requirement.

One reason is a lot of people do not want any candidates to take office. Why would you force them to vote for candidates they do not want? Isn't the whole point to allow people to CHOOSE? That would defeat the purpose if you FORCE them to choose someone they don't even want to take office.

• Voting shouldn't be a legal action, as it should be a right and a choice.

Forcing people to vote due to a legal requirement would just make people angry and someone, somewhere would protest. While it would be nicer to have a better poll turn-out in most elections, having it be illegal not to vote would just defeat the purpose of voting. As it is a right to be able to vote, it should be your right to choose not to vote, as well.

Posted by: PointlessElbert47