Should citizens have the same weapons as the military?

• Of course.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to ensure the peoples protection from the government. How can the people defend themselves if the government roles up with automatic weapons, grenade launchers, and flash bangs? Now, I'm not saying I should be able to go to my local gun shop and pick up an M4 Sherman tank, but I do believe we should have the same weapons as the military, so we can defend ourselves when the time arrives.

• 1776

Give me liberty or give me death. It is my Constitutional right to bear arms against a tyrannical government and if anyone infringes those rights...well come to my house and I will show you what happens. If I don't have these rights that welcomes the government to come into my house. It is unconstitutional to think otherwise!

• Yes, but good luck with that.

Any one, or any gang(military/police) with bigger sticks than you wants to keep it that way. We definitely should have equal arms however, they will never allow us to have access to the secret high-tech weaponry that "doesn't exist". The government has been creating false pretexts (mass shootings/"terrorism") to lock us down as well as conditioning the masses to worship authority. Unless civilians have access to nukes, they are in CONTROL. Unless civilians have energy weapons, they are in CONTROL. Unless civillains have starships, weather control, and the same bio-warfare weapons, they are in CONTROL. As long as compulsory education exists, they are in CONTROL. As long as there is an authority of any kind, including religions, we will always have the smaller stick. Don't you know Earth is literally the farm and the
    hu-man is literally the farm animal?

• Wether it has spoeting usr ir not is arbitrary.

A lot of politicians and people in the anti gun community you'll often here them make the excuse that a specific "style" of firearm has no "sporting purpose". The thing is that the second amendment was not added to the Bill of RIGHTS, for "sporting use", it was added so that the playing field between the government and the people would be equalized. So therefore i strongly believe that us as U.S. citizens should have acess to military grade firearms just as easily as the federal, or even state governments can.

• The Tree of Liberty

As Thomas Jefferson once stated, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." While this has often been misconstrued, the premise remains clear: that "no free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" for the simple reason that the 2nd Amendment is designed for the protection of the citizenry against those that would rule them without representing their interests, just as our current government does, even now. They tax and they outright rob our children of their future through massive debt and outrageous spending. Regardless of the political ideologies that one belongs to, it is unconstitutional and in fact criminal to believe that the common man (a phrase that is often misleading, as all men are common, no matter what they might try to make you believe) should not be given the same ability to both defend himself and to act against tyrannical despots in the name of liberty and justice for all in this great nation of ours, a nation which, if something is not soon changed, will cease to be great.

• Trust Individual not Governments

Citizens should be allowed access to ALL forms of weaponry that a government uses, for the very fact that a government is no more trustworthy than an individual. The government is just as likely to use the weapons on its populace as an individual on his neighbors. People are inherently good and most people with guns don't just go around shooting people on a whim. Governments, however, often enter into wars on little more than a whim and the destruction they can cause is catastrophic.

• Yes.

Yes, I think civilians should be suitably armed. The Framers of the Constitution included the second amendment so the people could defend themselves, from their own government if need be. If they had not included that, how long do you think the country as it was intended to be would have lasted? Someone placed in a position of power would inevitably get greedy and attempt to take more than the constitution had intended to go to the government. The second amendment is a safeguard to the possibility, however slim or outrageous, of a government takeover of the country. I think that yes, for the most part, civilians should have access to many of the same weapons as military personnel.

Posted by: cg42
  • They Do Not Need The Same Weapons

People do not need to have access to the same weapons that the military had. It would be very unsafe in our communities of this happened. There is some really serious weaponry in the military. I would feel unsafe if people had some of those weapons in my area and community.