• Teacher Feedback from Texas

Yes! Yes, please do this. This would be the quickest way to fix our education system at very little cost. Give parents a code to do real time virtual visits to the classroom. Observe teachers not just for accountability, but for training purposes. Get rid of behavior management problems on the spot! Are you aware of the thousands of dollars that are spent every day in U.S. Schools just dealing with classroom management? Schools should have glass walls and this is the easiest way to have them.

• This would prevent abuse both from teachers and from students

A camera in the classroom should be able to put everyone on their best behavior. It would be a deterrent against abusive behaviors. Also, this could be used to show parents their child might engage in, in the classroom. As a teacher, I would love to have a camera in the classroom as I strive to behave professionally towards students. Sometimes, I encounter aggressive and inappropriate behavior. Talking to a parent of an abusive student would benefit from a short video of the incident.

• They'd tell us what is happening

Especially if you have been a student in a -particularly- rowdy class, I do believe having constant watch over students, their possessions, and their actions will lead to a safer and better learning environment for all students, and make teaching for the teacher easier since keeping students within reasonable control is not one of the things he/she has to worry about. For example, if some student throws an object at someone else, the teacher might have been writing on the board, completely oblivious to who had done so, and have no idea as to who did it. With a camera and access to recorded footage, the teacher can easily identify and discipline the one (or more) students who had thrown the object.

• Why are teachers so threatened by this idea?

My niece, who has autism, was bullied and treated badly by teachers and aides. Because of her disability, she is not able to express emotions, or even explain what happened. This is a MUST for special needs classrooms! There should be NO debate!
    As far as a regular classroom, why not? Why are teachers so threatened? What are they afraid of? The classroom is NOT a private place. This is NOT an invasion of privacy! I think any teacher who does not want this has something to hide!

• Protects both teachers and students

Both teachers and students are vulnerable to situations of he said, she said. Cameras would easily prove who is right. That the student really is misbehaving in class (which the student denies) or the teacher is ignoring the student (which the teacher denies). Both situations become crystal cleat with video evidence.

• I think this is a good fit

Cameras should be put only in classrooms and the hallways not in the bathrooms because of safety purposes. I think they would be a huge help to see who is doing the bad things who the teachers might have accused when it turns out it was someone else. This is a great idea.

• Captures Bullying When Teacher Can't

Cameras DON'T lie. It can capture everything that goes on in a classroom, especially when the teacher is too busy and can't see everything that is happening at any given time. As a result, cameras inside the classroom is a long overdue element that must be implemented to prevent kids from bullying "secretly". It can potentially save a life.

• What about theft?

What if a student sneaks into part of a room and goes through bags while no one is looking? If there were cameras, there would be no problem with identifying the culprit. This has become a problem in my school, and cameras would help identify thieves. If there were cameras, we wouldn't have to stuff our things into lockers that are obviously too small to hold all of our things. No students would pay attention to the cameras unless they are very, very bored. With cameras, less things would be stolen from people's bags while they're not looking due to them having a risk of being caught.

• They would help

Yes, cameras could be a huge help. Having cameras installed in each individual classroom can help stop bullying and violence in the classroom. There are cases of teacher abuse that could be easily detected before they get out of hand if only video surveillance is available. We have the technology to patrol all of our country's classrooms from locations throughout, we should take advantage of it

• It would be beneficial, especially for children with special needs.

As a mother of a child with autism with low verbal communication skills, I feel that it would be extremely helpful to know what is going on in the classroom. My son has come home several times with scratches on him and no response from his teacher. When I try to contact her I do not get an answer. This is a grave burden on myself as a mother, and on any parents who have a child with disabilities because of the lack of verbal skills. I have already got an attorney and I am fighting to have cameras installed in my sons classroom as well as have him integrated in general education, along with other factors that would improve his learning abilities.

• The idea of cameras in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has nothing to do with pedagogy, but with prisons, terror, discomfort, guilt, etc

The idea of camera surveillance in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has got nothing to do with pedagogy, but with the penitentiary space, with prisons, terror, punishment, discomfort, etc. It induces a constant feeling of guilt, to students, as well as to teachers. If you are a real professional, as a teacher,or even if you are just a normal person, claiming a right to normality, especially in schools, you realize that camera surveillance in class is something coming from paranoid people who cannot lead the activity through normal behavior. I could never teach and dedicate myself to the teaching and learning process with a camera spy on me. School and pedagogy are not "tv broadcast", show, machine, or a space for others to constantly spy on people`s moves, reactions, etc. Pedagogy means emotional comfort, and it is about trying to understand each other and to grow together. Under such prison like conception and conditions, it is impossible to work. Teacher training and school inspections could never be realized through this sick intrusion. On the other hand, students in any environment cannot be treated as convicts. It is against the very idea of school at its very core. Cameras in class cannot protect people from violence, lunatics can always sort out other methods, angles, areas, etc if they wish to attack the people around them. On the corridors, nearby doors, etc, it is ok, but the classroom is a sacred and private space for wisdom and light, not a concentration camp or a robot space. It is like somebody would try to dictate every thought, word, move,,etc.
    I think that pedagogy and school`s goals are precisely to educate people through humane means,through professionalism and responsibility, not suspicion, and paranoid or negative behaviorist-watch-over and punishment methods. We need patience, responsibility, psychology, counseling, Christian counseling, etc. Nobody (principals, colleagues, etc), has the right to intervene in such a brutal way in the activity of teachers and students. The ideas of principles having those classrooms images and the classrooms activity on their screens in their offices, live, anytime, etc, is simply one that makes one think about insanity, judgmental attitude, blackmail and intimidation towards teachers and students,,,,and I cannot accept any other truth. "Hey move, move", fast, fast"(left, right...etc)-isn't this how these spy abusers "kick" students and teachers while studying in class? Mind control,intimidation, judgment,psychological torture coming from the most dirtiest political like (maybe) environment are keywords associated with the idea of cameras in class. Principles or other "colleagues" have no right to impose such things on us, teachers who know what teaching means.Anyone who does that is unprofessional, abusive and should go for teacher training in a high security prison if they like that so much!This world is far from being a free and sane one, and we do not need to pervert minds , nor to create zombies, but to educate souls and minds and to enhance creativity, competence and excellence!

• Cameras shouldn't be allowed in classrooms.

It will cost too much for the little amounts of benefits it provides and for the students who are studying there, it just be like you're being spied on. Plus for all the student they won't be learning anything from the teacher they will just be looking at the camera for the whole class.

• Why? For what purpose?

I didn´t do it, nobody saw me do it, you can´t prove anything. Where would our society be if we could prove all wrongdoing? We need more spaces where people can learn to act poorly without consequences. How else can we create the quality leaders we have in our political system today?

• No. Video cameras have begun to invade privacy.

These days, parents are obsessed with monitoring everything about their kids, but taping their education is not the solution. The cameras would be a distraction, and eager parents would not be able to resist watching and interfering constantly. In general, cameras are already too pervasive in society. It has created a culture of big brother watching every last action, and this prevents people from acting normally because everyone feels they are being watched.

• Violation of privacy

I think that security cameras in schools are a good idea. Having them in the entrances and the hallways are a way to cutback on school crime and protect the student population. However, I think that putting those cameras actually within the classroom violates the privacy of both the students and the teachers. Knowing that someone could be watching you at all times may bring security, but it's also able to distract students and teachers and could be harmful to learning. Also, in schools where teaching "by the book" is required, some of the best learning occurs in the 'teachable moments' where an opportunity for teaching something not in the curriculum comes up. These are quite often more interesting to the students than the regular lessons and lectures, and can make class enjoyable. If these cameras in classrooms are abused--as there is a high possibility of them being--a teacher might get 'caught' deviating from the syllabus and it could take away valuable learning opportunities.

• The possibility of abuse of power is too great.

I do not believe that cameras in the classroom would be/will be used to prevent bullying in abuse, rather to police and interfere with teaching. It would be too easy to manipulate and use the tapes in a way that benefits the administration and not the teacher. Furthermore, students and teachers should never be observed without their knowing, and I can see that becoming a problem.

You may wonder why teachers have such a problem with the invasion of privacy. It's not about having something to hide, after all they are frequently observed, and after all the classroom is full of students. It's dehumanizing to have cameras trained on teachers and students at all times. You're treating them like they are all ready criminals, and I think students especially have enough to deal with.

Claiming that this will someone prevent/end teacher or student abuse ignores the real problem. If there is abuse going on there needs to be actual action taken. It's not enough to think that cameras will deter certain actions, as most people will not think of their actions as bullying, and if they do, might be talented in hiding it.

I think schools resemble prisons enough as it is. I do not think students need further reason to feel trapped and exposed. Think about how you would feel, if you had a camera on you while trying to learn.

• I SAY NO!!!

Change in work pattern, more stress for students, the schools will have to put in more money to install and pay someone to review video taps when they could just solve the problem the same way they have for years. Why not use the money for something a little more useful.

• Cameras are distracting.

Classrooms should not have cameras due to the fact that if there are cameras in the classroom, most children are going to focus on the camera. Do you seriously think students are going to be focusing on the teacher, when there's a big, shiny, black thing sticking out of the ceiling?

• No Cameras at School

Should schools use cameras in the classrooms? Using cameras in the classroom may be safer, however cameras are just an extra pair of eyes. There is already a teacher supervising the classroom, so when you have a camera in the classroom, you might feel like you have everyone watching you. In some ways you are getting watched by many people by the camera in the classroom.

• No cameras allowed

Cameras should not be allowed in classrooms. In classrooms cameras would distract the kids. They would also invade privacy. I think that no one should be able to be on camera unless there's permission from the teachers, students, and parents. Cameras in every classroom would also be a waste of thousands of dollars! Why not just spend it on new things, or teacher and admin. Raises, or anything else that isn't as useless as a camera. Yes a camera would give some help, but it's not like it could catch a criminal WHILE he's harming the school. We might see who he is, but we wouldn't be able to get him while he is vandalizing. Let's save the money for something more useful.