• Teacher Feedback from Texas

Yes! Yes, please do this. This would be the quickest way to fix our education system at very little cost. Give parents a code to do real time virtual visits to the classroom. Observe teachers not just for accountability, but for training purposes. Get rid of behavior management problems on the spot! Are you aware of the thousands of dollars that are spent every day in U.S. Schools just dealing with classroom management? Schools should have glass walls and this is the easiest way to have them.

• This would prevent abuse both from teachers and from students

A camera in the classroom should be able to put everyone on their best behavior. It would be a deterrent against abusive behaviors. Also, this could be used to show parents their child might engage in, in the classroom. As a teacher, I would love to have a camera in the classroom as I strive to behave professionally towards students. Sometimes, I encounter aggressive and inappropriate behavior. Talking to a parent of an abusive student would benefit from a short video of the incident.

• Why are teachers so threatened by this idea?

My niece, who has autism, was bullied and treated badly by teachers and aides. Because of her disability, she is not able to express emotions, or even explain what happened. This is a MUST for special needs classrooms! There should be NO debate!
    As far as a regular classroom, why not? Why are teachers so threatened? What are they afraid of? The classroom is NOT a private place. This is NOT an invasion of privacy! I think any teacher who does not want this has something to hide!

• They'd tell us what is happening

Especially if you have been a student in a -particularly- rowdy class, I do believe having constant watch over students, their possessions, and their actions will lead to a safer and better learning environment for all students, and make teaching for the teacher easier since keeping students within reasonable control is not one of the things he/she has to worry about. For example, if some student throws an object at someone else, the teacher might have been writing on the board, completely oblivious to who had done so, and have no idea as to who did it. With a camera and access to recorded footage, the teacher can easily identify and discipline the one (or more) students who had thrown the object.

• Yes they should

They should have cameras because what if there is a fire, What if there is a intruder, What if a student is bullying another student the fire will burn the school to the ground while killing others in process. The intruder will kill the teachers and students and the bully will punch and kick the student constantly without a care in the world.

• I think that we should have school cameras.

I think that we should have school cameras because if there is someone stealing stuff that is not theirs and they lie and don't be honest. It would be faster work instead of going through every student's backpack when you could just check the school cameras and see if they're telling the truth or if they're lying.

• Yes There should be cameras

What if there is a intruder or a fire in that classroom and what if another student is bullying the other student the fire will burn the school to the ground the intruder will kill the teachers and students and the bully will punch and kick the student non stop.

• Yes There should be cameras

• Yes There should be cameras

• Yes There should be cameras

• The idea of cameras in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has nothing to do with pedagogy, but with prisons, terror, discomfort, guilt, etc

The idea of camera surveillance in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has got nothing to do with pedagogy, but with the penitentiary space, with prisons, terror, punishment, discomfort, etc. It induces a constant feeling of guilt, to students, as well as to teachers. If you are a real professional, as a teacher,or even if you are just a normal person, claiming a right to normality, especially in schools, you realize that camera surveillance in class is something coming from paranoid people who cannot lead the activity through normal behavior. I could never teach and dedicate myself to the teaching and learning process with a camera spy on me. School and pedagogy are not "tv broadcast", show, machine, or a space for others to constantly spy on people`s moves, reactions, etc. Pedagogy means emotional comfort, and it is about trying to understand each other and to grow together. Under such prison like conception and conditions, it is impossible to work. Teacher training and school inspections could never be realized through this sick intrusion. On the other hand, students in any environment cannot be treated as convicts. It is against the very idea of school at its very core. Cameras in class cannot protect people from violence, lunatics can always sort out other methods, angles, areas, etc if they wish to attack the people around them. On the corridors, nearby doors, etc, it is ok, but the classroom is a sacred and private space for wisdom and light, not a concentration camp or a robot space. It is like somebody would try to dictate every thought, word, move,,etc.
    I think that pedagogy and school`s goals are precisely to educate people through humane means,through professionalism and responsibility, not suspicion, and paranoid or negative behaviorist-watch-over and punishment methods. We need patience, responsibility, psychology, counseling, Christian counseling, etc. Nobody (principals, colleagues, etc), has the right to intervene in such a brutal way in the activity of teachers and students. The ideas of principles having those classrooms images and the classrooms activity on their screens in their offices, live, anytime, etc, is simply one that makes one think about insanity, judgmental attitude, blackmail and intimidation towards teachers and students,,,,and I cannot accept any other truth. "Hey move, move", fast, fast"(left, right...etc)-isn't this how these spy abusers "kick" students and teachers while studying in class? Mind control,intimidation, judgment,psychological torture coming from the most dirtiest political like (maybe) environment are keywords associated with the idea of cameras in class. Principles or other "colleagues" have no right to impose such things on us, teachers who know what teaching means.Anyone who does that is unprofessional, abusive and should go for teacher training in a high security prison if they like that so much!This world is far from being a free and sane one, and we do not need to pervert minds , nor to create zombies, but to educate souls and minds and to enhance creativity, competence and excellence!

• Cameras shouldn't be allowed in classrooms.

It will cost too much for the little amounts of benefits it provides and for the students who are studying there, it just be like you're being spied on. Plus for all the student they won't be learning anything from the teacher they will just be looking at the camera for the whole class.

• Why? For what purpose?

I didn´t do it, nobody saw me do it, you can´t prove anything. Where would our society be if we could prove all wrongdoing? We need more spaces where people can learn to act poorly without consequences. How else can we create the quality leaders we have in our political system today?

• No. Video cameras have begun to invade privacy.

These days, parents are obsessed with monitoring everything about their kids, but taping their education is not the solution. The cameras would be a distraction, and eager parents would not be able to resist watching and interfering constantly. In general, cameras are already too pervasive in society. It has created a culture of big brother watching every last action, and this prevents people from acting normally because everyone feels they are being watched.

• Violation of privacy

I think that security cameras in schools are a good idea. Having them in the entrances and the hallways are a way to cutback on school crime and protect the student population. However, I think that putting those cameras actually within the classroom violates the privacy of both the students and the teachers. Knowing that someone could be watching you at all times may bring security, but it's also able to distract students and teachers and could be harmful to learning. Also, in schools where teaching "by the book" is required, some of the best learning occurs in the 'teachable moments' where an opportunity for teaching something not in the curriculum comes up. These are quite often more interesting to the students than the regular lessons and lectures, and can make class enjoyable. If these cameras in classrooms are abused--as there is a high possibility of them being--a teacher might get 'caught' deviating from the syllabus and it could take away valuable learning opportunities.

• The possibility of abuse of power is too great.

I do not believe that cameras in the classroom would be/will be used to prevent bullying in abuse, rather to police and interfere with teaching. It would be too easy to manipulate and use the tapes in a way that benefits the administration and not the teacher. Furthermore, students and teachers should never be observed without their knowing, and I can see that becoming a problem.

You may wonder why teachers have such a problem with the invasion of privacy. It's not about having something to hide, after all they are frequently observed, and after all the classroom is full of students. It's dehumanizing to have cameras trained on teachers and students at all times. You're treating them like they are all ready criminals, and I think students especially have enough to deal with.

Claiming that this will someone prevent/end teacher or student abuse ignores the real problem. If there is abuse going on there needs to be actual action taken. It's not enough to think that cameras will deter certain actions, as most people will not think of their actions as bullying, and if they do, might be talented in hiding it.

I think schools resemble prisons enough as it is. I do not think students need further reason to feel trapped and exposed. Think about how you would feel, if you had a camera on you while trying to learn.

• I SAY NO!!!

Change in work pattern, more stress for students, the schools will have to put in more money to install and pay someone to review video taps when they could just solve the problem the same way they have for years. Why not use the money for something a little more useful.

• That's the teacher's job.

Classrooms don't need cameras, because there should be a teacher there in the classroom who can see and address problems that happen without needing a camera to help them. Besides teaching, this is their job. If they can't see what's going on without a security camera to help them, they have no business being a teacher. Plus kids constantly record each other on their phones, doesn't that count as being on camera? If we have the money to put security cameras in classrooms, we have the money to actually fund our schools. I never saw a textbook younger than me in school, let's get new ones! Forget those old dinosaur computers, let's get new computers! Instead of the ones our grandparents have! Let's have toilets that actually flush and library books with all of the pages in them. It's too much big brother and a huge waste of tax payer money.

• No Cameras At School!!!!!

Of course, to install cameras in areas of privacy such as bathrooms and changing rooms is intrusive and the very vast majority would naturally object. However, one could argue that these become safe havens for those who wish to commit crime, such as theft or drug dealing, knowing full well that cameras were not there to catch out suspects." I do not agree with this. I think there should be cameras in the hallway only.
    By: Ava L

• Cameras are distracting.

Classrooms should not have cameras due to the fact that if there are cameras in the classroom, most children are going to focus on the camera. Do you seriously think students are going to be focusing on the teacher, when there's a big, shiny, black thing sticking out of the ceiling?