• Teacher Feedback from Texas

Yes! Yes, please do this. This would be the quickest way to fix our education system at very little cost. Give parents a code to do real time virtual visits to the classroom. Observe teachers not just for accountability, but for training purposes. Get rid of behavior management problems on the spot! Are you aware of the thousands of dollars that are spent every day in U.S. Schools just dealing with classroom management? Schools should have glass walls and this is the easiest way to have them.

• This would prevent abuse both from teachers and from students

A camera in the classroom should be able to put everyone on their best behavior. It would be a deterrent against abusive behaviors. Also, this could be used to show parents their child might engage in, in the classroom. As a teacher, I would love to have a camera in the classroom as I strive to behave professionally towards students. Sometimes, I encounter aggressive and inappropriate behavior. Talking to a parent of an abusive student would benefit from a short video of the incident.

• Protect both student and teacher

Missunderstandings happen all the time. If the classroom was monitored then proof of events would reduce the amount of time investigating wrongful claims. Teachers can feel secure in their work knowing that just because they are the only adult in the room most of the time, will have video footage.

• This can prevent bullying, stealing, etc.

To catch people who bully others, vandalize, steal, litter, eat in class, drink in class, teachers who abuse, etc. Furthermore, if someone was framed, this can be used as evidence. Moreover, the person doing the above could be punished depending on what he/she did. Finally, it can be used to prevent people from using phones in class during lessons or at other times when you are not supposed to use them. This won't be distracting as there are many video cameras in many countries and nobody notices them. Not only that, those that said that this can be used to spy on others are idiots as this footage can only be viewed by the staff. This won't distract them as many people people have been in places with cameras and nobody seems distracted or paranoid. If you have nothing to hide then embrace the cameras and security.

• They'd tell us what is happening

Especially if you have been a student in a -particularly- rowdy class, I do believe having constant watch over students, their possessions, and their actions will lead to a safer and better learning environment for all students, and make teaching for the teacher easier since keeping students within reasonable control is not one of the things he/she has to worry about. For example, if some student throws an object at someone else, the teacher might have been writing on the board, completely oblivious to who had done so, and have no idea as to who did it. With a camera and access to recorded footage, the teacher can easily identify and discipline the one (or more) students who had thrown the object.

• Substitute teachers enter the land of The Lord of the Flies.

Students know that substitutes can't identify them. I learned to make seating charts as I took roll, but there are many reasons for students to leave their seats, and it can be very difficult to assure the return of a student to the original location. Once that begins, disruptive acting-out can escalate. I substituted in classrooms where students injured themselves or others, and it was difficult to identify uncooperative students, after the fact, without a picture. I'm afraid to substitute now, because I feel unable to assure student safety, not to mention my own, in such situations. Video monitoring could reduce that danger.

Posted by: MrE
  • Cameras will protect student and teachers

Video cameras need to be in the classroom in order to protect the safety of both students and teachers. In today's society we have video cameras in lots of public spaces such as libraries, school buses, parks, beaches, public streets, etc. A public school is a public place just like any other public place so people are not entitled to privacy rights.
    1. A video recording could be the one thing that saves a teacher's job when there are false accusations.
    2. Video recording could protect a student who wants protection from a teacher who is abusing them.
    3. A video recording could ensure students are being protected from wrongdoing by other students.
    For people who are worried about the security of it, the camera data and controls could be kept in the Principal's office. For people complaining about privacy rights and "big brother"; In public property the right to privacy does not exist. If you don't like it you can either home-school or pay to go to a private school. Oh by the way, the only eye witness of the Boston Marathon Bombers? A video camera.

• Very good point

Well we'll well I like this a lot it is good very good the schools need to protect the children. Cameras catch everything from different angles. I think cameras in school is the best way to go. It also is proof of who did what and how it happened. It will help the world if everyone got security cameras. I would be happy.

• YES! Cameras should be installed in classrooms and parents should have remote access to view their child's class.

I really shouldn't have to argue the advantages of surveillance cameras... We use them everywhere. We use them to protect our homes, our banks, even our grocery stores... But not our children? As a substitute, I've worked in a lot of different schools and I can't count the times I've seen TEACHERS yell at students, bully students, and leave the classroom unattended. And OH the things that happen when the teacher turns her back! The bottom line is that we all behave better when we think someone is watching. Students who fear their parent may be peeking in will be inclined to behave better. Teachers will have to be mindful of the tempers. And yes... These days we need to concern ourselves with things like school shootings and knife fights between students... With recording capabilities, there would finally be an ACCURATE account. In my opinion, people who don't want cameras, usually have something to hide. If your teacher or your school is opposed, you need to be finding out why!

• Yes, Security cameras are needed in classrooms.

With an increase in crime, surveillance in more places is simply a necessity. Kids will realize early in life that there are consequences for actions. I am a student myself and I've been talking about this lately. Most of my peers say that they don't even notice them. Sixty one percent of people think that they should be in public places, and school is a public place. In fact, in one high school, after installing fifty seven security cameras around the school, they reported a seventy percent decrease in crime. This is significant evidence that they do work and that they should be allowed in schools.

• The idea of cameras in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has nothing to do with pedagogy, but with prisons, terror, discomfort, guilt, etc

The idea of camera surveillance in classrooms is an absolutely sick one, it has got nothing to do with pedagogy, but with the penitentiary space, with prisons, terror, punishment, discomfort, etc. It induces a constant feeling of guilt, to students, as well as to teachers. If you are a real professional, as a teacher,or even if you are just a normal person, claiming a right to normality, especially in schools, you realize that camera surveillance in class is something coming from paranoid people who cannot lead the activity through normal behavior. I could never teach and dedicate myself to the teaching and learning process with a camera spy on me. School and pedagogy are not "tv broadcast", show, machine, or a space for others to constantly spy on people`s moves, reactions, etc. Pedagogy means emotional comfort, and it is about trying to understand each other and to grow together. Under such prison like conception and conditions, it is impossible to work. Teacher training and school inspections could never be realized through this sick intrusion. On the other hand, students in any environment cannot be treated as convicts. It is against the very idea of school at its very core. Cameras in class cannot protect people from violence, lunatics can always sort out other methods, angles, areas, etc if they wish to attack the people around them. On the corridors, nearby doors, etc, it is ok, but the classroom is a sacred and private space for wisdom and light, not a concentration camp or a robot space. It is like somebody would try to dictate every thought, word, move,,etc.
    I think that pedagogy and school`s goals are precisely to educate people through humane means,through professionalism and responsibility, not suspicion, and paranoid or negative behaviorist-watch-over and punishment methods. We need patience, responsibility, psychology, counseling, Christian counseling, etc. Nobody (principals, colleagues, etc), has the right to intervene in such a brutal way in the activity of teachers and students. The ideas of principles having those classrooms images and the classrooms activity on their screens in their offices, live, anytime, etc, is simply one that makes one think about insanity, judgmental attitude, blackmail and intimidation towards teachers and students,,,,and I cannot accept any other truth. "Hey move, move", fast, fast"(left, right...etc)-isn't this how these spy abusers "kick" students and teachers while studying in class? Mind control,intimidation, judgment,psychological torture coming from the most dirtiest political like (maybe) environment are keywords associated with the idea of cameras in class. Principles or other "colleagues" have no right to impose such things on us, teachers who know what teaching means.Anyone who does that is unprofessional, abusive and should go for teacher training in a high security prison if they like that so much!This world is far from being a free and sane one, and we do not need to pervert minds , nor to create zombies, but to educate souls and minds and to enhance creativity, competence and excellence!

• No. Video cameras have begun to invade privacy.

These days, parents are obsessed with monitoring everything about their kids, but taping their education is not the solution. The cameras would be a distraction, and eager parents would not be able to resist watching and interfering constantly. In general, cameras are already too pervasive in society. It has created a culture of big brother watching every last action, and this prevents people from acting normally because everyone feels they are being watched.

• Why? For what purpose?

I didn´t do it, nobody saw me do it, you can´t prove anything. Where would our society be if we could prove all wrongdoing? We need more spaces where people can learn to act poorly without consequences. How else can we create the quality leaders we have in our political system today?

• Cameras shouldn't be allowed in classrooms.

It will cost too much for the little amounts of benefits it provides and for the students who are studying there, it just be like you're being spied on. Plus for all the student they won't be learning anything from the teacher they will just be looking at the camera for the whole class.

• Video cameras are not okay in classrooms because they invade privacy.

A student could get harassed by someone that is viewing the video and students don't like having someone spying on them. Most of the parents don't want their children being spied on by someone they don't know personally. The teachers also can't play some learning games like fact or fiction that their students use to learn.

• Cameras are distracting.

Classrooms should not have cameras due to the fact that if there are cameras in the classroom, most children are going to focus on the camera. Do you seriously think students are going to be focusing on the teacher, when there's a big, shiny, black thing sticking out of the ceiling?

• Violation of privacy

I think that security cameras in schools are a good idea. Having them in the entrances and the hallways are a way to cutback on school crime and protect the student population. However, I think that putting those cameras actually within the classroom violates the privacy of both the students and the teachers. Knowing that someone could be watching you at all times may bring security, but it's also able to distract students and teachers and could be harmful to learning. Also, in schools where teaching "by the book" is required, some of the best learning occurs in the 'teachable moments' where an opportunity for teaching something not in the curriculum comes up. These are quite often more interesting to the students than the regular lessons and lectures, and can make class enjoyable. If these cameras in classrooms are abused--as there is a high possibility of them being--a teacher might get 'caught' deviating from the syllabus and it could take away valuable learning opportunities.

• No Cameras at School

Should schools use cameras in the classrooms? Using cameras in the classroom may be safer, however cameras are just an extra pair of eyes. There is already a teacher supervising the classroom, so when you have a camera in the classroom, you might feel like you have everyone watching you. In some ways you are getting watched by many people by the camera in the classroom.

• No cameras allowed

Cameras should not be allowed in classrooms. In classrooms cameras would distract the kids. They would also invade privacy. I think that no one should be able to be on camera unless there's permission from the teachers, students, and parents. Cameras in every classroom would also be a waste of thousands of dollars! Why not just spend it on new things, or teacher and admin. Raises, or anything else that isn't as useless as a camera. Yes a camera would give some help, but it's not like it could catch a criminal WHILE he's harming the school. We might see who he is, but we wouldn't be able to get him while he is vandalizing. Let's save the money for something more useful.

• Privacy > Security

Classrooms shouldn't have security cameras. Being watched already makes people act odd AND THATS THE LAST THING WE NEED FROM STUDENTS. It would also be a huge distraction and change learning patterns. IT is a waste of money and may ruin kids who cherish their privacy from their education. Cool.