Should college athletes be paid for playing sports?

• Only Division 1 Athletes Should

Now I'm not trying to rag on the other divisions, but the Division 1 kids work their tails off to get to where they are and I think they should be paid in some manner. They should not be given contracts though. They should be paid through a way of getting free meals, and getting this amount of money every week from the school to spend on whatever they wish to spend the money on.

• Yes, they should be.

Yes, I do think they should be paid for their playing of sports. The reason is because they are bringing in a lot of revenue to these universities and colleges. I know they are getting a free ride scholarship and everything, but education should be free anyway, and those kids work their tails off.

• There are laws against it

• It is well known that college sports bring in big profits to colleges and universities in the United states. Specifically the primary contributors are football and men’s Basketball. So, do the players in these sports deserve the big bucks or should they be satisfied with a scholarship that gives them a university degree? But then what about the waterpolo players, or the baseball players, or all of the women’s sports teams. Now think about this, how much would you pay to a powerful quarterback of a football team compared to a women’s basketball point guard. I make this comparison to illustrate my next point.

Legality,
    What about Title 9? Title 9 of the US Civil Rights act of 1964 clearly states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of gender, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance”. So paying only male football and basketball players could cancel federal financing assistance and possibly be considered illegal and stimulate some lawsuits.

• No they should not

College athletes should not be paid by the school but, it may be possible for them to be paid by other things but, not the school itself. The school should not simply model itself about making a profit from a number of different sources. It should almost look at itself.

• College atheletes should not be paid for playing sports

I don't think college athletes should be paid. I think it will only increase the already high educational costs. I feel the schools already do enough in promoting there education and athletic abilities. in a lot of ways I feel they are already being paid to attend the school and participate in their athletic programs. College sports is already a necessary stepping stone for athletes hoping to make it a career. Colleges should not pay college athletes to splay sports, there are enough incentives.

• These athletes are earning their keep.

College athletes should not be paid for playing sports. This is because many of them get scholarship for such activities. In addition, many of them are in training, hoping to become professionals after college. It is a training ground equivalent to an internship -- an athlete might get hired or they might be told to simply look in another direction for another career.