Should college students be forced to take general education classes?

Asked by: djh101
  • Be worldy and open minded.

Some people go into college with their minds set on what they want their career to be, but end up not liking their career when they try it out in the real world. If students took general education classes, they might be motivated to keep their options open and not commit to a single path in life. In the future, many workers will switch from job to job, rather than the traditional model of having one career for life. A diverse college curriculum will better prepare students for the economy of tomorrow.

• Of Course They Should

Lets be clear, general education is Math, History, English, etc. Sure, we learned that in the K-12 grades, but now we need to learn it at a higher level. We need to learn how to communicate in the real world. Also, most higher level classes in specialized subjects will require knowledge gained in Gen. Eds.

• It offers more opportunity to found out what you like

The average American on goes at least 4 carrier changes in their live and it's always best to offer general education so that they can be reminded what certain areas are like hands on. This also better prepares students for certain areas of education because the more knowledge the better.

• College is about knowledge

It is naive (and even arrogant) to think a student knows everything they need to know before starting college. There is more to a college than simply gaining specific skills for a particular career path. To truly be successful at a career, one must be well-rounded, informed, able to think critically, and problem solve. Historically, choosing to attend college was to learn and expand your knowledge, not just a means to a better paying job. Our younger generation has lost the appreciation for education and knowledge; many are only looking for easy money and it is unfortunate that my generation raised them to think they are entitled to everything without effort and raised them to disrespect knowledge.

• Gen Ed really does help.

Gen ed can prepare you for the life ahead of you. People say it is a "waste of their time". I see where they are coming from but if it helps them out in the future it is worth it. Yes you do learn things over and over but its only to just get it stuck in your head.

• General Education Is Crucial to College Success

If general education classes are not required, it is likely that part of the student body would have insufficient knowledge of topics their professors in their classes for their majors will not go over because it is assumed to already be known. It would waste time in the classes for their major for the professor to teach basic things that could be taught in general classes.

• Well rounded student

General education requirements complete a well rounded student. Students who do not complete general education requirements are not well rounded. Missing general education requirements result in a lackluster graduate. If degrees are designed correctly general education can relate to the degree. Students who think general education requirements are a waste of time did not ask their advisor enough questions.

• Saving time and energy

BY taking general education classes one would not need to redo or take classes to have certain requirements. And by taking taking general education classes one would having the availability to change their minds regarding their careers and to stretch out. No one truly knows what career they want and what they do choose might not be what they thought.

• Why learn less?

In college it is important to be as well rounded as possible! Taking these general education classes will help someone become smarter and know a little more about everything. A little bit of knowledge on each topic can be very helpful. Even if you end up at a desk job instead of the job you wanted to get

• Getting ready for the future

I think gen eds get you ready for how college really is, you learn how to multitask and how to study. Gen eds help make sure people are ready, prepared and know what they want to do in college. This gives everyone a chance to change their career and or decide what they want to do or where to go.

• No, adds unnecessary work and stress.

Students going into college who already know what they would like to do should only have to take courses that pertain to that field and become "experts" in it. If a student doesn't know yet then they can take general education and try to figure out what they would be interested in. It's a very simple solution that would probably help many students excel in their respective fields of study because they would be more focused on their potential careers instead of dividing their effort amongst general education courses "just in case."

• No, it should be an elective

You went to school for 12 years to learn for your general education. Kids go to college to be educated usually, in the field of what you would want to do with your life. I'm a college student taking IT Network administration and have to take a chemistry class. I don't want to learn chemistry, I want to educated about what working field I would like to go into.

• Already been done.

General education has already been taught to students grades K-12, a few more years of it when they're supposed to be learning how to operate in a specific field is not only unnecessary, but it's counterproductive. By college-age, they're no longer children. The education system shouldn't have to continue to hold their hand, they should either know what they're going in for, or hold off on college for a bit longer.

• College Is for Specialization

When students go through elementary and high school, they are learning a wide variety of topics, including essential foundations such as reading, writing, arithmetic, etc. During these years, they should discover their personal strengths, weaknesses, tastes, and preferences. College, then, should give them every opportunity to capitalize on their strengths, without requiring them to exercise their weaknesses. Furthermore, it may be healthy or personally fulfilling for an engineering student to participate in sports or music, but these skills will likely have little or no bearing on his engineering skills. Therefore, they should be offered, but not required.

• Students should be tested on aptitude in general education classes, and then work from there.

A lot of material covered in general education is a rehash of what student have already been educated in---writing well, speaking eloquently, using basic/necessary math skills, being able to think about something deeply and personally. That being said, forcing students to retake all of those things in college seems to stem from a lack of confidence in the student's abilities to pursue those things on their own time, and have the adult capacity to learn independently.

Solution: test basic aptitude in general education courses and work with the students who need help improving those skills (preferably independently), and let those who have developed them already take the courses they WANT, and let them explore themselves and their career interests that way.

English: have them submit a few short pieces of writing. Say an academic research paper, a short story or novel-type piece, and a professional email. If they don't have the basic grammar and spelling skills to do those right, then have them take an online or small-group class on language and composition.

Math: test personal finance abilities (aka basic addition, subtraction, multiplication), and perhaps some algebra. If they can't handle things because they don't understand, have them take a full class. If they just need a refresh or a framework, again, online education can be very effective.

Philosophy: give them some poignant articles to read (preferably on a subject they are interested in), and conduct an interview in which the student responds to questions about the moral implications of a given idea or action. If they can articulate themselves in a one-on-one setting in matters of philosophy, they're good to go. If not, small group study to improve their critical thinking skills.

In the end, all of these skills are certainly valuable, but students who already have them or are very capable of developing them on their own should not have to sacrifice valuable skill-building and career-oriented learning time. College is about becoming an adult, and as a college student, I want to be educated in my field, and not be forcibly ushered through a "learning experience" that I would rather pursue on my own.

• Waste of time and money

Spending two years taking classes that you will not use on your job everyday is absurd! The amount of money in school loans you have when you're finished is ridiculous and most of it was spent on general education courses, courses that you won't remember anything that you learned while you were in class after you graduate anyway due to a lack of interest in the subjects. College is just a money making business. All students shouldn't be required to take general education classes just because a few are unsure of what they want to do after they leave high school.

Some of us as adults are completely sure of what we want to do and would actually like to get started in our field. It should be up to the student to choose whether or not they wish to take these classes. Being more "well rounded" won't help you to do your job better or more accurately. When you take your car to a mechanic for instance, you don't care whether that mechanic knows about the civil war, abstract art, how many organs are in the body or about Bach or Mozart. You want to know that he/she can fix your car and do the job right and not screw up your brakes when you went to them for a wheel alignment. Your time spent at college should be to focus on your specific major and career path that you are looking to take.

Besides, anything you wish to know or learn about you can easily find through Google (without having to pay for it). If students are unaware of what they wish to do or would like to dab into some of their other areas of interests then take a few non-credit courses and perhaps take a look at the High School curriculum then and make changes there.

If you don't have some sort of idea about what subjects you liked or didn't like in school or some sort of idea about what career you wanted to enter into from 5-17 or 18 years old, then there's a problem with the education system at the grade level then not at the college level. Job shadowing, etc. should be happening in Junior High School and High School to help students make those decisions. Speaking in front of a class and writing essays, reports, etc., you should have done by the time you've graduated high school and mastered that. Most of us have, so why should we have to do it again in college? There's nothing else to learn about those subjects! College is supposed to prepare you for whatever line of work it is that you are seeking not giving you refresher courses on things you've already learned. Two to three years max in college is all that should be necessary to take the classes for your major. That's just my opinion however, but it looks like a good percentage of others agree with me!

• Waste of my time

I spent my high school years learning about a variety of topics. College should not be a repeat of what I already learned. I know how to write a college paper, and retaking the same courses is a waste of my time. I applied to college because I want to study a specific topic, not choose random courses that fulfill requirements.

• I am wasting time, money, and effort.

I have yet to learn something new in my general education courses. It seems I keep doing the same thing over and over again. I'm so tired of this general education that I almost feel like quitting. I haven't even gotten into professional school yet but I have already looked into it and I will be doing the same thing over again there too! Maybe if we didn't have so much general ed. We would have less debt and more people working to help out the economy. Thanks for helping us stay bogged down in debt with lame courses that mean absolutely nothing!

• Most of them are unnecessary

Science major students have to take courses like their state government, many of them are making plans of moving out of state after graduating, and courses like these affect their GPA. This is something similar to evaluating a Biology major based on their knowledge of american history or federal government.

• Waste of Money and Time

General education courses are a waste of time and money for those who have a career picked out. While there should be general education courses available for those who haven't yet decided their major, anything beyond that is pointless. All the general education one could possibly need should be learned in High School. The fundamentals of Algebra, World History, Kinematics, Biology, and Language are indeed more than sufficient to produce a productive citizen outside their field of study.