Should communities add fluoride to public water supplies?

• Fluoride should be added to public water supplies because of its ability to prevent cavities.

I am all in favor of adding fluoride to public water supplies. Both of my children, who are now in their 40?s, grew up where we had fluoride in the water. Each of them had only one cavity and they still have very good, strong teeth. I have seen no ill effects on either one of them. I, on the other hand, grew up when there was no fluoride in the water and I had huge cavities in all of my molars and had eleven crowns by the time I was about 50 years old.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • I agree that communities should add flouride to public water supplies because it is good for the dental health of the community.

I believe that adding fluoride to public water supplies is the right thing to do. I lived for several years in a city that did not add fluoride to public water. If you go to the dentist there and still have all of your natural teeth with enamel in tact the dentist will say "you didn't grow up here did you?" She can tell by the health of your teeth that you grew up drinking fluoride added water, which is the best endorsement I can think of!

Posted by: VincenzoB
  • Communities should add fluoride to the public water supply because it's beneficial.

Communities should add fluoride to the public water supply because it's beneficial. Fluoride helps encourage healthy teeth. Fluoride can be added to your water on your own, but most people wouldn't know enough to do so and the long-term damages to teeth would be devastating, cavities and decay, e.g.. Bottle-fed babies would be especially harmed because they can't get fluoride from other sources. There have been no proven bad side effects to fluoride either.

Posted by: H0bi3Invader
  • By adding fluoride to the water, everyone benefits from healthier teeth.

Adding fluoride to the water improves the dental hygiene of a community. This means that even those who cannot afford to visit a dentist can still benefit from added protection that fluoride offers. While they will still probably get cavities, they will be less susceptible to them, which improves their quality of life, despite their poverty.

Posted by: 5h4ngSer
  • Communities should add fluoride to public water supplies for health reasons

Communities should add fluoride to public water supplies for health reasons. Having some amount of fluoride in the water can help prevent cavities and dental problems. While it isn't a substitute for brushing, it does provide some amount of aid in the defense of oral hygiene issues. It certainly isn't a major agenda item, but it is something helpful for the public's health.

Posted by: SandDari
  • I agree that communities should add fluoride to public water for the health benefits it provides.

By adding fluoride to public drinking water, communities increase the oral health of residents and create an overall more healthy community. Community members save money on the dentist bills the would have incurred, because the fluoride prevents bacteria from causing oral health problems such as cavities or gum disease. Furthermore, the only ones who do not benefit from fluoride in drinking water are dentists.

Posted by: IeonBauer
  • I agree that communities with low or no fluoride content in there water content should be added, fluoride in the water is actually a beneficial mineral.

I think fluoride should be added to the water of places that have a low fluoride count. fluoride is actual important to our teeth and is essential. If fluoride is added to the water it could eliminate some of the dental problems of a community. Cities should be informed of their options. The community should be able to vote on whether this would benefit them

Posted by: C0ImEIite
  • Communities should take whatever measures necessary to make public water supplies healthier and cleaner.

I believe that adding fluoride to public water supplies would be a great idea, as long as it was monitored as to what the levels were within the water. Fluoride helps to clean and protect teeth, which is a plus to have it in our water. It will also cleanse our drinking water which would be a plus as well, and would prevent any diseases or problems being spread within the water systems. Now, unfortunately it would not benefit myself because we have our own well water, but it is a great idea in theory!

Posted by: LeticiaR
  • Communities should add fluoride to public water supplies. Helping citizens have stronger teeth is a great objective, and adding fluoride to the water is an easy way to accomplish that goal.

The government should be doing more to promote better health of its citizens. Adding fluoride to the water supply will promote healthy teeth and is a fairly cost effective measure. Many dentists prescribe fluoride to their patients to help keep their teeth strong. If there is fluoride in the water, even the poorest citizens will benefit by simply drinking water.

Posted by: 5kyErto
  • It will add health to the community.

Fluoride helps build stronger teeth and will make your immune system stronger. It is natural in water, and helps prevent tooth decay. It can also help already damaged teeth and re-mineralize them. Fluoride can reduce tooth decay by 20%-40%. Nearly 60% of homes in the USA already receive water contained with fluoride.

Posted by: OatMd0gg
  • Why put it in, anyway?

Putting fluoride in our water would be pointless if people just brushed their teeth; it would not matter. If you had bad teeth they would be clean and it would be stupid to put it in if people already brushed their teeth. I am so against fluoride. It is wrong.

• Once in the water, the dose of fluoride each person receives cannot be controlled.

Different people drink very different amounts of water. For example, an athlete would most likely drink much more water, on a daily basis, than the average person because they are more active and so get very thirsty. They would therefore get much more fluoride a day than someone who maybe works in an office and is not very active.

• Dental Disease

. Recent evidence suggests it is not as effective in preventing tooth decay as was originally thought. In fact, it is believed fluoride treatment has the capacity to cause dental disease.There is also some evidence that fluoride may increase the risk of other health issues, including weakened bones and thyroid conditions.

• Adding fluoride to water proves unnecessary, as toothpaste already contains sufficient fluoride.

Fluoridated water fulfills a great need in areas in which children and adults do not brush their teeth with fluoridated toothpaste. For the vast majority of Americans, however, fluoridated toothpaste use meets and exceeds this need for fluoride. Even among the poor, brushing of teeth occurs at high levels, so fluoridated water proves totally useless.

Posted by: ButEasy
  • I oppose adding fluoride to public water supplies because it makes it too easy to get excessive fluoride, which can cause health issues.

Fluoride does help prevent some tooth decay, but it is available in almost every toothpaste on the market. It is also in many bottled waters and other products. Too much fluoride can stain the teeth and cause other health defects. I think it should be left out of the public water supply so that parents can choose to give their children and themselves fluoride on their own.

Posted by: TMacias
  • Flouride decays and gives white spot to your teeth..
    Say no to affects your pineal gland and slows your thinking and consciousness process. It also decays your teeth and having white spots on your teeth means you had too much exposure to flouride.. Love and blessing to you all. muahzzzzzzz Love always Arelis. <3

• Fluoride is no longer needed to be added and has been found to have adverse affects.

Fluoride was added to water at a time when most Americans were unaware of both its effects and its benefits. Now that most Americans are aware, there is now fluoride in bottled water and toothpaste. Given the fact that we can obtain fluoride via other sources, Americans should be given the choice of whether or not to supplement water with fluoride.

Posted by: daveyxh
  • It is costlier and can cause health problems.

Adding of fluoride increases cost of production and large quantities of fluoride can cause health problems.

Posted by: HillyHero
  • Something that will affect everyone in a community should be unanimously agreed upon, therefore I do not think fluoride should be added to public water supplies.

Water does not only "belong" to humans. It is critical to very nearly all life forms on this planet. Fluoride is a reactive chemical that is poisonous in large doses to humans and therefore can safely be assumed to be dangerous to other life forms like fish or water plants. Also, it is possible that a human could be allergic to fluoride and be hurt by fluoridated water.

Posted by: Wynn354
  • If you read the back of your toothpaste tube, it will say that ingesting fluoride can kill you.

Poison control centers are trained about the dangers of in taking fluoride. Some internet conspiracy theorist believe that its put in the water for mind control. The government says its in the water to help your teeth. I can't dispute either, but I will say that as a human, I want to control what is put into my body and I can put plenty of fluoride in my body just by brushing my teeth. If I want to put something into my body, I should be able to do it voluntarily. Anything that is put into your body should not be mandatory.

Posted by: R3ubHockey