Should community service be required for college students?

• So much experience

As a college student that has already put in 60 hours of community service required at my school- I still have 30 more hours to go. It is most beneficial for students to be required to complete community service. It's the quickest, most painless way to work in the field one wants to go into, but continue learning about it. It could not be just a period for community service, a lecture would need to be attached to connect what one is doing in the field with other ideas to tie into what they will be doing in the future. By the end of a semester, students would reflect on how they did, how much they actually enjoyed their service, and if they saw any improvement from beginning to end of their time. Colleges also have the upper hand usually in getting students into many different types of service that they wouldn't usually be able to get into without competitive interning, but it could already be too late to change their paths once they've gotten into interning.

• Community service should be required.

Yes, community service should be requirement for college students. Firstly, it does a lot of good whether it's cleaning up garbage on the highway or working in a soup kitchen. Gives you perspective and real world experience. Secondly, it's just the right thing to do and we should all do more of it.

• Yes, it would be a reality check.

I believe community service should be required for all college students. Students usually enter college straight out of high school which puts them right around 18 or 19 years old. Many of them worked part time jobs prior to college, but have little to no real world experience. I think performing community service would widen their perspective and make their education more relevant.

• Able to be involved with the world around them.

With being in college, it is hard to get out because sometimes you feel like you are piled neck deep with assignments and other things. The best way to reach out and experience the world would be to make college students do more community service, it will allow them to reach new people around their community.

• Good for instilling good behaviour

Students of universities are always teenagers. However,why high school students don't required to do the community services? Because they still have parent involving in their daily life.Which means they will need to obey their parent opinion and order.But for universities students can act on their free will and if they applied the positive attitudes, our world become more harmony in the future.

• Not enough time.

As a college student I do not have the time to go out and volunteer. Between classes and responsibilities I have at home there isn't enough time for me to volunteer. They also require a certain amount of hours to graduate and it's unfair that not everyone has the same amount of time to complete those hours. There are some students, like myself, who enter college as a junior. I think schools should consider students life when setting these hours. What's even worse is that the more credit hours you have the more volunteer hours you must do per semester. No one has the time

• No forced community service

As a high school student I had to do 3 different community service hours. I should not be forced to do more as an adult in college who is there to get my degree and get out quickly so I can become a member of the working class in my field. I have "real life" experience already and do NOT need someone telling me I have to go out and get some through community service. I do not have time to do this with school and a job and making sure I have a normal social life with friends and family and not shut everything and everyone important to me out because I will not have time for anything outside of school and work with added mandatory community service.

• Not enough time.

I'm a junior in college and I can honestly say I don't have time to volunteer outside of college. I take 16 credit hours and work 30-40 hours a week. I had to complete community service in high school and it was very beneficial and I did love it. I actually won an award for the most hours. But college is a different story and even though I love working in my community, I don't have the spare time.

• Good for instilling good behaviour

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe community service should be required for college students. College students often have to carry part time or full time jobs to support their studies and to survive during their college years. Requiring community service would put further strain on their time and their finances, considering transportation to and from community service is never free.

• No, community service should not be required for college students.

No, community service should not be required for college students. Not that I do not think I could be beneficial for college students to do community service, but the reality is they do not have the time. With rising cost of tuition, most students have to take on either a part time or full time job to help the get through college. It is asking to much of them to be required to do community service.

• To busy already

As a current college student, between making money, going to class, and keeping up with classes, I am always behind in my work at all times. Making me do community service would just throw another big problem for me that would put me even further behind in my work and studies.

Nahel_Argama says2016-10-27T09:54:48.910
Do we have a debate page on this i would like to see some long well-organized arguments(not that yours is not organized. No offense)
Nahel_Argama says2016-10-27T09:55:08.073
D