Should community service be required to graduate high school?

• There should be 100 hours of service donated

Schools are paying 1.8 billion dollars for children to have an education and we should equal it out so it is fair and the children of Hawaiʻi could have a sucessful future in college and could be good, hard workers. I also think public school families take advantage of what they have.

• Why Not Help?

Recently, the school in my town has gotten rid of the mandatory 40 hours of community service needed to graduate. I think that some of the students found it to be a nuisance and got in the way of their social lives. I believe that it should be mandatory because the town that you go to school in is paying for your education with tax money, and this is the perfect opportunity to give back to your community. Community service also helps with work experience, and labor. It will help students decide what they are and are not cut out for in the work force.

• Yeah it is very necessary

This is beneficial to both the kids and the community because the community has more things done in a short period of time with all the help and the kids get the learning and working experience. Of course its hard work along with everything else that teenagers are doing in those years but hard work doesn't hurt especially when it is going to your credits it is not like you have to do it everyday just a certain minimum of hours.

• It would be a great learning opportunity!

Maybe some students might not know where to start with community service. So if it was mandatory they would be given a perfect opportunity for those who love to participate in activities like this, students who don't know where to start, and those who would like to try with there friends.

Also this could relive some stress from school assignments as you relax and help others in need or improve your community.

• Yes, because it helps me grow

High school students should be required to do community service. There are many benefits of doing community service such as making a difference, helping others, teamwork, and a better diploma rate. There is a great variety of options of community service. This is a controversial subject because people say it is slavery or it is not a good experience.
    Making a difference helps high school students learn more about the environment. Picking up trash from the beach is making a difference. Planting more trees helps the environment because of how many they cut down. Picking up trash from the ocean helps so the ocean does not become toxic.
    Another community service is helping others. Helping other is one of the greatest community service to me because your helping other people. Helping others is a very, very kind way of community service. And you should also always help others even if they don`t need it.
    Another good benefit in community service is teamwork. Teamwork will help in the future with a job that you`ll need help with. Teamwork will help with making new friends. It helps when you’re really busy with work.
    Also doing community service helps with a better diploma rate. You`ll get accepted into a bunch of collages. You can also get a better scholarship. Your diploma rate will be better.
    Community service is great for high school student in the future. It will help what you will become in the future when you get older. I have done community service in my neighborhood like helping moving my neighbors plants into a garage and I feel GREAT  about it. It is so much fun helping people in your community.

• Yes, it should absolutely be required.

Community service is essential to make sure the youth know that helping their community without pay is the morally correct thing to do. Even if its 10 hours of service, they can break it up into different tasks, a hour at the soup kitchen, a hour picking up trash at the beach, etc... Will never hurt anyone. "Involuntary Labour" is an excuse for being selfish and not willing to help others, which is essential in any society.

• It's An Easy Yes!

Our community funds our schools for education. When students do volunteer work it gives back to the community for what the community does for us! If they are busy they can spread out there time easily. Make small chunks of volunteer work and it will be a big great change.

• Yes, it is a teaching tool.

Yes, community service should be required to graduate high school, because community service is an effective teaching tool for students. Students need experience working in the real world. Students need to learn the importance of a community. Students go to school to become citizens of their local and global community, not just to learn how to read and write.

• Community Service for College Students

I believe that college students should have to do some community service because it is a good skill to have. It shows that you are a very responsible person and willing to work hard. It also works well and looks good on resumes. They do this for high schools and I think they should do it for colleges too.

• It doesn't hurt

I was born and raised in Canada and here a minimum of forty hours of community service is required to graduate high school. This is mutually beneficial to the community and to the students. It gives the volunteers and the help needed to finish life enriching programs. The community is forever benefited and helping people always makes you feel good. The students don't only get to graduate but they also experience things that are good to learn. I'm not sure how long Canada has been doing this but right now students don't complain or stress over their hours because they are easy to get.

• No Because It is Slavery

If high school education is required, and community service is required of the child, then it results in INVOLUNTARY LABOUR, which is banned by the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution. Therefore, I do not believe that community service should be required as it uses slavery (which is defined as the use of involuntary labour).

Posted by: WXL
  • It's for the wrong reasons

Mandatory community service will cause students to do a half hearted, worthless service, simply to get the necessary hours rather than to actually help the community. Community Service becomes nothing more than an inconvenience for students. It makes students akin to penitentiary inmates who work because they are being forced to, not because they want to.

• Forcing community service is a punishment

1. Schools should't be allowed to force students to do something that they don't want to do. If someone doesn't want to do the community service, the school shouldn't force it.
    2. In court, the judge will sometimes sentence people to community service as a punishment for committing a crime.
    3. Straight A students who ace the SATs should't not be allowed to graduate for not doing something that they didn't want to do.
    4. Schools shouldn't have control over what students do outside of school. It is the school's job to worry about them IN school.
    5. If community service is required, some people may not want to do it. Also, requiring community service takes away from the experience.

Therefore, community service should not be a requirement to graduate high school.

• No Community Service shouldn't be a requirement

This doesn't have anything to do with the students education. It doesn't have a purpose. Why waste there time? They don't want to do the community service so I am not going to let you force my child into doing so. Plus the rates aren't looking good for yall. Its 60% against 40%

• It is slavery

Were not voluntring they are forcing us to work and its a waste of time because have to study for exams and quizzes so that's why they should not force us to do community survas we should focus on something else like our studies or working or looking for college applications

• It is slavery

• Students are busy enough already

To do well in high school now requires hours of homework plus whatever projects or essays you have. When you add in study time most teens don't have much time left for necessary parts of growing up like spending time with friends or doing an extracurricular activity. In fact a lot of the time it comes down to choosing between sports or grades. Adding one more thing to students already overflowing schedule would simply add more stress. I am a highschool student and I spend around ten hours a week volunteering instead of playing a sport but I know my grades suffer because of it. I used to volunteer with my friends but as we got older they prefered to play sports or simply didn't have time with all their classes. This is something that many can not handle in their lives and would simply be a burden and that's why I do not think community service should be required.

• Forcing community service

I don't think that forcing students to larticipate in community service events is the right way to get them to volunteer. When you make them do it it takes the volunteering out it or it. Students can get into better colleges when they volunteer and if everybody's as to volunteer them they are are equal.

• No forced community service.

Students won't have any time to do it if they have after school activities or jobs. They shouldn't have to worry about not being able to graduate from not doing community service some year in their life. Doing it on their own will help them do it much better, Instead of doing it as a requirement to just get it done.

• In what way is it helping me?

So, i have to go out and help someone, or do something constructive with 10 or so hours of my time, which won't benefit me in actual school, like, at all. It wont help me pass any tests, it wont help me focus, and it sure as hell wont bring my GPA up. I just feel it's pointless to "Force" students to "volunteer" it kind of beats the purpose of calling it volunteering.