• By forbidding it, you are forbidding discriminatory companies from damaging themselves

If a company is willing to act irrationally out of discrimination, it should be their right to do so. Besides the damage caused by firing an employee out of irrationality, firing out of discrimination would be horrible for the company's PR (and rightfully so). I look forward to the day when racists, homophobes, and sexists burn by their own intolerance.

• Do you really need to ask?

Why is this a debate topic? The answer is so obvious. Do not pass judgement on people for what they are. Do not fire employees because of something they cannot change. If companies were allowed to fire their workers for being gay, I would be very shocked, but I believe the world is better than that.

• Do you really need to ask?

• Is this for real?

If this debate was about black people or Catholics then people would be outraged that this question was even being asked. I fail to see why it should be any different with gay people. Also, would this also include bisexual people? Should they only be allowed to work half the time? The logistics of this question are insane, and discrimination is never the answer under any circumstances.

• No, that is ridiculous and wrong!

For a company to fire someone on the sole reason that they are gay is just plain wrong. That is true discrimination and one's sexual orientation has nothing to do with one's job performance. A poor job performance is a reason for firing someone not just because someone is gay.

• No, that is pure discrimination.

This is currently illegal in most states in the US. Sexual orientation and sexual identity does not affect someone's productivity and efficiency, so it has no bearing on the work they do. Thus, it should have no bearing on their success in the company. Just as it's illegal to discriminate against sex and religion, this should be as well.

• Companies should not be able to fire someone because they are gay.

I think that people should only be able to be fired based on job performance. Someone who is gay, if qualified, will be able to perform the same job as someone who is heterosexual. Sexual orientation, like gender, is not a qualifier as to one's ability to work well. I actually think sexual orientation should be treated in the same manner as gender, race and religion.

• Companies should not be able to fire someone just because their gay!!!

It's should not be about firing someone because their creed is different from ours, it should be about hiring the best person for the job, no matter what his/her creed, sex, color or gender is. Companies need to see start to see the equal opportunity business aspect again and not stereotypical aspect.

dylancatlow says2013-03-29T18:15:35.823
Also, on a side note, discriminatory companies that are arbitrarily forced to keep an employee that they would otherwise fire is a recipe for disaster. Think of it this way: a law that forbids companies from firing gays would only be effective when it forces companies to keep people that they hate. That is damaging to any employee in that position.