Should companies be allowed to refuse to hire job candidates because they smoke?

• Companies are free entities.

Companies have the right to refuse to employ anyone they want and should have the right to do so on any basis, even race, gender, or other things. I know I sound discriminatory, but I believe that they have the right to employ whomever they want.

Anyway, on topic now! Smoking shows a lack of morals and bad judgment. They would not be good for hiring. If they smoke in the workplace, their secondhand smoke could even harm others.

• Yes an employer should be allowed to decline to hire a job candidate because they are a smoker.

The courts are already ruled that employers have a compelling interest in maintaining a healthy workplace. To that end they can elect to have a non-smoking workforce and to hire employees are who smoke. Smokers increase the cost of health insurance for the entire employee base and it's a documented fact that smokers typically have more sick days than non-smokers.

While it is legal to do where (and when) you can smoke is legally restricted in many cases. So employer has the right to impose the same restrictions.

• Yes, jobs should take that habit into consideration.

Smoking is a hazardous habit due to not only affecting the health of the person who smokes, but also to those around them. Therefore it is considered a hazard and should be banned from the premises. It can also cause illnesses that could lead to sick days that decrease productivity.

• Risky for you and the People around you.

People who smoke are risking themselves and others around them. A company could hire someone and then a few years later they could die or contract a serious illness then they may have to stop working. Also people around them could be harmed by the second hand smoke the cigarettes produced.

• Job companies should be able to refuse to hire smokers

I think smokers should be denied jobs. Even though i am not experiences with this issue i think there could be many reasons why smokers could be denied. These reasons include, risking other people's health, addiction, fire hazard, and they could possibly be into other drugs. Smokers could risk other people's health because of second hand smoke, addiction would be because they would take more breaks or days off because their addicted, if you just throw your cigarettes anywhere it could potentially hit something and catch on fire, and lastly if you smoke you could be more likely to do other drugs.

• NO, definitely not!

Ok, first of all, I used to smoke, but I quit after having a stroke at the age of 40. So, I am not one of those complainers. I do, however, feel like a company should not have the right to tell you, If you are a smoker, Im not going to hire you. Just as a dr. Has no right to not accept your child if you smoke. I don't think you should smoke in the house, and I don't think you should smoke in your place of business. I do, however, don't think anyone has the right to refuse you. It should be YOUR right.

• It is legal - what about other legal vices?

First of all, saying smokers should be denied jobs just because they smoke is unfair. Other things like alcohol, gambling, high fat and sugar content food? Second, if smokers get denied for smoking, should obese people be denied for being obese? No, it is part of their private lifestyle and only if it causes problems in the workplace should it matter. And third, if smoking doesn't affect how someone does their job, then why make it an issue? Nicotine is a CNS stimulant, and therefore could theoretically improve productivity in some, just like caffeine, another legal and widely used CNS stimulant.

• It is their choice

They should not have to refuse just because one of their job candidates smokes. It is their choice to smoke. We all make our own decisions so if that this person wants to smoke they should be allowed to smoke without repercusions. It is their life and let them live the life that they want. They shouldn't have to give up something that they do. That is like me giving up my freedom of speech so someone can be protected.

• I believe that people shouldn't be denied their jobs just because of the life choice that they made for themselves

There is thousands of people that work and smoke. Yes some work with food and some do not, but they shouldn't be denied a job just because they smoke or smell like smoke. It should matter on how hard that person works and how committed they can be to the company.

• It's your right

Companies shouldn't be allowed to deny your right of having a job because you smoke. Smokers who have jobs should be allowed to smoke on their break but not allowed any extensive breaks for smoking. If companies were allow to deny smokers many would be left unemployed. As long as smokers follow the rules of the company and don't smoke in or during the job they shouldn't be allowed to deny them a job.

• Well, companies should focus on the people certificate not the habits. Also, company should put a specific place for smokers to smoke

The company work depends on the certificate not the health or habits. Companies nowadays concerned about lifestyle for no reason. But some companies have only indoor place rather than outdoors so smoking would be a dilemma in this situation but I also agree that every company should put a specific place for smokers

• Discrimination in any way is wrong

It's wrong to decide that a candidate is ineligible for a job because they smoke. They might have excellent qualifications, a good personality, a wonderful hard-working manner and people skills. Isn't that more important than what they do outside the office? The fact that someone smokes should not affect how well they perform on a working basis.

• Where does it end?

Smoking isn't the leading cause of preventable death in America, obesity is. No one would stand for it if employers could decline employment based on an applicant's BMI. There's a reasonable expectation of privacy, and even in right-to-work states, employers shouldn't dictate behavior and lifestyle choices affecting behavior outside of the workplace, so long as those choices don't cross legal lines.

• Refusing employment over a legal lifestyle choice crosses the line.

This goes way beyond the reach of an employer. What I do on my time is my business. The only way this would be acceptable would be is if there is discretion across the board. Are employers going to start testing everyone for everything that is not healthy? Alcohol, fatty foods, sugar, junk food and let's not forget the big one illegal drug use, all pose a "threat." If you don't exercise, can an employer refuse to hire you? Smokers gave an inch, and now health nuts are taking a mile.