Should companies be allowed to refuse to hire job candidates because they smoke?

• Companies are free entities.

Companies have the right to refuse to employ anyone they want and should have the right to do so on any basis, even race, gender, or other things. I know I sound discriminatory, but I believe that they have the right to employ whomever they want.

Anyway, on topic now! Smoking shows a lack of morals and bad judgment. They would not be good for hiring. If they smoke in the workplace, their secondhand smoke could even harm others.

• Yes an employer should be allowed to decline to hire a job candidate because they are a smoker.

The courts are already ruled that employers have a compelling interest in maintaining a healthy workplace. To that end they can elect to have a non-smoking workforce and to hire employees are who smoke. Smokers increase the cost of health insurance for the entire employee base and it's a documented fact that smokers typically have more sick days than non-smokers.

While it is legal to do where (and when) you can smoke is legally restricted in many cases. So employer has the right to impose the same restrictions.

• Yes, jobs should take that habit into consideration.

Smoking is a hazardous habit due to not only affecting the health of the person who smokes, but also to those around them. Therefore it is considered a hazard and should be banned from the premises. It can also cause illnesses that could lead to sick days that decrease productivity.

• NO, definitely not!

Ok, first of all, I used to smoke, but I quit after having a stroke at the age of 40. So, I am not one of those complainers. I do, however, feel like a company should not have the right to tell you, If you are a smoker, Im not going to hire you. Just as a dr. Has no right to not accept your child if you smoke. I don't think you should smoke in the house, and I don't think you should smoke in your place of business. I do, however, don't think anyone has the right to refuse you. It should be YOUR right.

• Well, companies should focus on the people certificate not the habits. Also, company should put a specific place for smokers to smoke

The company work depends on the certificate not the health or habits. Companies nowadays concerned about lifestyle for no reason. But some companies have only indoor place rather than outdoors so smoking would be a dilemma in this situation but I also agree that every company should put a specific place for smokers

• Discrimination in any way is wrong

It's wrong to decide that a candidate is ineligible for a job because they smoke. They might have excellent qualifications, a good personality, a wonderful hard-working manner and people skills. Isn't that more important than what they do outside the office? The fact that someone smokes should not affect how well they perform on a working basis.

• Where does it end?

Smoking isn't the leading cause of preventable death in America, obesity is. No one would stand for it if employers could decline employment based on an applicant's BMI. There's a reasonable expectation of privacy, and even in right-to-work states, employers shouldn't dictate behavior and lifestyle choices affecting behavior outside of the workplace, so long as those choices don't cross legal lines.

• Refusing employment over a legal lifestyle choice crosses the line.

This goes way beyond the reach of an employer. What I do on my time is my business. The only way this would be acceptable would be is if there is discretion across the board. Are employers going to start testing everyone for everything that is not healthy? Alcohol, fatty foods, sugar, junk food and let's not forget the big one illegal drug use, all pose a "threat." If you don't exercise, can an employer refuse to hire you? Smokers gave an inch, and now health nuts are taking a mile.

• If it's such a concern require them to opt out of the insurance plan

Companies should not be policing outside behavior unless they are prepared to pay overtime for all 24/7 other than the first 40 because an employment contract is really an obedience contract so if they compell obedience off work then you're really working for them even when you're not at work. Otherwise the company should only be allowed to make rules that pertain to you while you are on the job. People have a right to a personal life.