Should Congress move to strike the ruling made by the Supreme Court to legalize gay marriage?

Asked by: myk97
  • Although the Supreme Court is supreme, this is a blatant violation of states rights.

Firstly, I have almost no opinion regarding gay marriage as I have heard compelling arguments for both sides which leave me undecided. I am personally homophobic, such that homosexual acts make me uncomfortable, but that is a personal problem and I refuse to allow my own personal problems to influence my political decisions and reduce someone else's quality of life. I respect that gays should have control over their lives and I respect that marriage is a religious institution and if the vast majority of churches wish to deny gays the right to marry they should possibly be allowed to do so.

Now, on to the question, I understand that the supreme court cannot be overruled by congress, but I certainly believe the decision should be overruled, leaving the ultimate decision as to whether or not gay marriage is legal to local lawmakers. I believe gay marriage is something that is incredibly personal and immensely important for people on both sides, and because of that I believe it is a decision best made community by community rather than something forced upon the entire country, including areas of our country wherein everyone (or nearly everyone) is deeply religious and wishes to prevent homosexual acts within their communities. While this may be "intolerant" everyone in this country has a right to an opinion and if the majority of people living in an area (I'm using "area" in place of state as it may need to be more specific than that, perhaps even down to the city or county level) wish to outlaw gay marriage I believe it is in everyone's best interest to give the majority of people in that area what they want.

Failure to give areas that do not approve of gay marriage a voice by overruling them with the supreme court's decision may lead to violence and even more hate against gays as it will inevitably make people defensive and incredibly angry. Imagine if an entire city was strongly against gay marriage and a gay couple moved in and got married in that community. The consequences may be devastating, and whether or not that is right would be irrelevant as the damage will be done regardless.

The nation is simply too large with too many opinions for the Supreme Court to make a ruling that affects everyone in the nation on an issue as heated and personal as gay marriage. This is something that should be decided by local government to reflect the views of the majority in a particular area, not something forced upon Americans who do not agree with the outcome of this ruling. The federal government should legalize gay marriage in such a way that communities may overrule that decision.

• Marriage shouldn't be protected by government

Because of my secular beliefs, I see the Supreme Court ruling on making same sex marriage constitutional was a violation of the separation of church and state. Also, I believe that more relevant issues, such as global warming, the U.S. becoming less powerful, and the widening gap between rich and poor, should be given top priority over petty issues such as same-sex marriage. What I do support are the same marriage laws are in place in France, where first you have to get a civil union with the full legal rights of marriage, then you can choose whether you want a religious marriage to finalize your marriage or not.

• Congress is not fine doing nothing here

What people fail to see is that this is a slap to our rights as individuals. Our religious rights are now under attack. What will be next? Our freedom of speech? Our right to vote? Our country has become so blinded. It fails to see the true underlying problem here. Wake up America before it's too late.

• The Court acted correctly

While many argue that the Supreme Court violated the United States' dedication to states' rights in favor of a popular idea. However, this is biased and untrue. The Supreme Court, upon releasing their opinion, made their ruling very clear. Gar marriage was protected under the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution. In short, denying marriage to gay couples was denying them a legal right (tax exemptions, 'bed rights' in hospitals, custody, etc.) which were offered to straight couples. The Court viewed this as a violation of the equal protection clause, as it was denying equal protection under the law to gay couples. The ban on gay marriage was ruled Unconstitutional, and rightfully so.

• Congress is fine doing nothing, here.

Gay marriage was coming, it was just a matter of time. Back when interracial marriage and dating was an issue, it was virtually the end of the world for many people - there was more outrage over that, back then.

Congress doesn't need to do anything. We're all fine. Gay marriage isn't hurting us, any more than interracial marriage is. I think it's unfortunate that the prejudices of a relatively few people, way back in history, have caused so much rancor, but change has come. To generalize, among younger people, it's much less of an issue, and for us "older" people, we'll be fine in the end.

• The Supreme Court is Top Dog

Whatever the Supreme Court decides is the way this country runs. The whole purpose of the Supreme Court is that it has authority over interpretation of the Constitution. Congress has literally no authority over the Supreme Court's decision, as if they did, that would be defying the Constitution, which is obviously something that we want to avoid.

• Nobody can overrule the Supreme Court

Since when can Congress invalidate the Supreme Court? Same-sex marriage is now the law of the land. To outlaw it again would be intolerable. Equality is one of this country's most cherised principles and to outlaw gay marriage is saying that homosexuals are second-class citizens, and a betrayal of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.