Should corporal punishment be allowed in school?

Asked by: Sarahthegymnast
  • If they deserve it

There's a difference betweeen beating and teaching respect. Maybe if this was allowed in schools, kids would learn that more could happen to them if they're bad than "a good talking to." Detention? Oh no. Two day suspension? Boo hoo. A good hit or two on the rear? You'll never see a disrespectful kid change his ways so fast.

Perhaps the parents would have to sign a paper saying they'll allow it. Still, many parents today raise disrespectful kids because they're too soft to be forceful, so this may not be the best idea.

Teachers, of course, shouldn't be trusted, as they have bias, but a principal, with the approval of the teacher and other administrators, should be able to administer such a punishment.

• It would teach respect

If a student is misbehaving in class a corporal punishment will teach the student to stay on task and to do their work more diligently then before, and it would show them the consequences of not doing their work, plus if a student is not doing their work and they did not get punished it would show them that they can not just play around that they have to do their work

• If they deserve it.

If the child is acting out, and they know they are in the wrong then they should be punished for it not just given a warning over and over and nothing get's done. Schools should be creative about a punishment, make them write lines during recess, send them to the principals office for a go butt warming, and if the parent doesn't want the teacher or principal spanking their child, have the school call the parent or someone in their family to come and discipline the child. Sparing the rod and spoiling the child has shown us the children are disrespectful, have no manners, and blame everyone for the mistakes . If my child got in trouble at school, then I would want them to call me or my husband or a family friend/member to come and deal with them. I would tell them what I want to happen. If I see it unfair on why they got in trouble I would want an explanation from the school. But if it is a well deserved for punishment. Then I would tell them what I want, I would either spank my child myself, tell the principal the child can write lines during recess, after school labor, extra homework, detention, or sitting inside during recess doing extra work on the assignment that they were discussing in class that he rudely interrupted. I believe in, corporal punishment like a hand or paddle in the school but not the other ones because I think in my opinion are too harsh.

• Children these days don't know respect,to them Smoking is cool, they mainly test everyone to see how far they can go.

I believe that if the child is acting out and knows that he or she is in the wrong and they keep doing it, disturbing the class, not following the rules that they know they have to follow then they should be punished. I'm not saying they should be corporally punished ever single time, they should have notes sent home for the parent to sign, detection, staying inside at recess, going to the principal's office and sitting in there and writing lines for the rest of the school day or just during recess, get creative about the punishments in school, children these days are rude and disrespectful and don't know how to act in public. And I am not saying that the teacher is the one that has to spank them, send them to the principals office, and let him or her do it, call the parents to the school and let them punish the child and then send him or her back to class.

• Yes, because of the learner s behaviour

People can't expect teachers to just sit down and watch learners as tney wrong ,by beating the learners they are putting them in the right way. Today learners dont even respect teachers, they backchat and do all kind of wrong things, and you guys just except teachers to sit down and watch, than people start thinking that the school that the certain learners are attending, they are not been taught how to respect

• Not in the slightest

I'm sorry but any teacher has to resort to such measures as CP shouldn't be anywhere near the classroom. From my school days, the twats for students only played up when spoken down to. To the teachers who treated them like any other they never put a single foot wrong. They got a reality check, not detention or something mockable.

Respect is earned not deserved, and respect goes both ways. From student to teacher and from teacher to student.

• That is stupid!!!!

I am a kid in school and if they allowed that half the kids wouldn't even bother going to school!!!!!!! I think suspension is bad enough and it teaches the kids. It embarrasses them enough that they do it again! It also makes them scared of the teacher's and that would make them work slowly!!

• Not by the hair of my chiny chin chin.

As it stands there are three areas that issue corporal punishment. At home, in school (though a very archaic and dying breed), and in justice system.

Originally corporal punishment, after a long history of human beings physically harming one another, in school was defended when operant learning was defined. Though people have seen this effect for a while, people were able to justify the reason for it. However, corporal punishment, whether as negative reinforcement or punishment, clearly has no place in school.

The reason why not:
    1. Not every parent wants or believes a non-family member should be striking their child.

2. Not every child is treated fairly in school. Though we like to think otherwise, teachers are human beings with bias and prejudice that can be inherent or developed for particular students. Thus we then have a physical action that is not equally distributed.

3. Child abuse can be masked or harder to present if children are struck a at home and school. More importantly the child has no one to trust to cry out towards if they are abused.

4. Not all punishments work equally so corporal punishment naturally escalates.

5. Overall it becomes in effective amongst masses and will rise to revolution. When operant learning was discovered it was with 1 mouse in a box. Try hurting a bunch of mice in the same box and you will see an uprising.

6. Everybody lies and you might punish the wrong kid.

• Not even in homes!

If you hit a child, they are most likely prone to depression, low-self esteem, aggression, antisocial behavior, suicide, and countless other negative effects! The students also would think that violence is acceptable. School is supposed to HELP students become better, NOT worse! The teacher could also go out of control and possible kill the student!

• I b c

H b v g n m m m m m m mk k k k k k k h h v c x j jub u yu h bh v ftf g gbg gtgt g ty y yg y I I ii I I I I I iii I i

• Nope. :/ :l

Corporal punishment should not be allowed in schools. If teachers are allowed to hit the students, the students could become very scared or angry and not show up to school. A majority of the time if a kid misbehaves it is a onetime deal or it was not extreme and the child would not deserve to be hit because of the action. Also some parents may not believe in that sort of punishment. Schools should allow parents to make the call for how their child is punished. Today in this world many schools are anti-bully, if the schools start to allow corporal punishment that could be seen as bullying towards the students.
    Some people may think that this type of punishment is okay if the child deserves it. However does any child deserve to be hit by an adult? If children grow up with adults that have the right to hit them, they could potentially grow up to think hitting someone is okay. Children could also feel alone, like they have no one to go to when they need to talk or when they have a problem that they could not go to their parents about, they will be left alone not knowing what to do. Some teachers can also be very bias and could be hitting the kids just because they do not favor them. This could mean the child is just simply being abused instead of punished which is not okay.
    According to the website, privateschools, a majority of people agree that corporal punishment should not be allowed in schools. The website states that this form of punishment has no place in the education of students and it perpetrates the cycle of abuse. School is a place where all kids of all ages should come and feel safe. If the teachers are striking the kids, will the kids feel safe? Of course not. Schools should leave disciplinary actions to the parents of the child.

• Parents need to be better disciplinarians.

It's not the school's, nor the teacher's, job to be parents.

The problem is at home. The parents encourage their children to ignore authority and disrespect those of authority. The children walk all over the parents and the parents allow it.

I will however agree that a teacher has the right to fight back if a student punches, hits, kicks, or bites the teacher.

I would NEVER teach in a public school in the US. It is disgraceful and pathetic. The US is no longer the greatest country.

Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=q49NOyJ8fNA

• No of course not!

First of all what are we in the dark ages?! Also teachers have no right to hurt the kids ! This is just going to cause kids hating school . School is hard enough for kids this is going cause emotional distress and trauma depending on the severity of the punishment. And what will they learn? They're going to look back on school and remember the crimes and punishments sure they won't do it again but that type of punishment is just going to break the kids' spirit!