Should corporal punishment be allowed in school?

Asked by: Sarahthegymnast
  • If they deserve it

There's a difference betweeen beating and teaching respect. Maybe if this was allowed in schools, kids would learn that more could happen to them if they're bad than "a good talking to." Detention? Oh no. Two day suspension? Boo hoo. A good hit or two on the rear? You'll never see a disrespectful kid change his ways so fast.

Perhaps the parents would have to sign a paper saying they'll allow it. Still, many parents today raise disrespectful kids because they're too soft to be forceful, so this may not be the best idea.

Teachers, of course, shouldn't be trusted, as they have bias, but a principal, with the approval of the teacher and other administrators, should be able to administer such a punishment.

• Bring it back

I think we should (in Australia) but not as cruel. There are some students who sometimes I literally want to strangle. In my French class, I sit with my friends in the back ( i am in the selective class), our French class is a mix of lower classes and selective. So our lovely teacher is trying to teach us but these girls in the front of our class start mocking her accent and snapchat their class. It's really disturbing, even girls in my school smoke in the toilets.

• They really should.

As a student in the sixth grade I have found that now in days there are lots of disrespectful children (mostly boys) that don't listen to teachers and are very distracting and it bothers me as a student who is writing an essay about it. Also i have found that it's harder for students to concentrate while these distractions go on. So one little smack never hurt anyone so do it and see how they fall right into a perfect student

• Teachers are also person.

Every teacher has the authority of the teacher. You are a teacher and a student has done a great job that you can not tolerate. So, when I can not communicate with the student, should teachers control anger and punishment in this situation? Teachers are also people. Everyone has the right to choose, the right to take responsibility, and the right to be angry with someone. Students have such a right to be angry or hate the teacher, and no matter how equitably teachers should be, they are the same. I can not stand it, and I can not help it because I can not talk about things like mad. I think we need to know the rights to the teacher. Of course, the teacher should do punishment while maintaining some good, but if the limit of tolerance as the same person has come, I think that such action should be allowed. Therefore, I think that corporal punishment system should be allowed.

• Teachers are also person.

• Its good idea

I am a former student and we got our field trips and bathroom privileges taken away because kids want to act stupid. So this would be a great addition to schools so kids can have a better education. . .. . . . . . . . . . .

• It should be allowed

If corporal punishment is not allowed the children will take a wrong turn in life.Even the Bible says that spare the rod and spoil the child ,so why should corporal punishment be abolished in schools. The teachers must cane the child when he or she goes wrong or take a wrong turn.

• It should be allowed

• It is good

It can teach them responsibilty and it helps in school according to this juevenille rating site and to my understanding when minnesota allowed corperal punishment they had 2,000 kids on average going to jail but in 2003 when they didnt allow it increased now 10,000 to 15,000 kids on average go to jail and i know what your saying modern day adults "but it doesnt help it just teaches them to fight back and hit" well take a look at back then in the 1800's they had corperal punishment and they were such good kids and even had respect i bet u guys dont even know what respect is. CAse closed

• It helps kids

It can help the kids gain respect whats going to teach the children respect or maturity if they just get a little detention slip and don't even come back with the slip signed and whats going to teach them respect if they are only in detention for 2 hours just writing 50 standards. This is why Corporal Punishment is the way to go it teaches them not to act bad or they will get a good butt wooping and with the parents permission I think there is really no serious harm right.

• Not by the hair of my chiny chin chin.

As it stands there are three areas that issue corporal punishment. At home, in school (though a very archaic and dying breed), and in justice system.

Originally corporal punishment, after a long history of human beings physically harming one another, in school was defended when operant learning was defined. Though people have seen this effect for a while, people were able to justify the reason for it. However, corporal punishment, whether as negative reinforcement or punishment, clearly has no place in school.

The reason why not:
    1. Not every parent wants or believes a non-family member should be striking their child.

2. Not every child is treated fairly in school. Though we like to think otherwise, teachers are human beings with bias and prejudice that can be inherent or developed for particular students. Thus we then have a physical action that is not equally distributed.

3. Child abuse can be masked or harder to present if children are struck a at home and school. More importantly the child has no one to trust to cry out towards if they are abused.

4. Not all punishments work equally so corporal punishment naturally escalates.

5. Overall it becomes in effective amongst masses and will rise to revolution. When operant learning was discovered it was with 1 mouse in a box. Try hurting a bunch of mice in the same box and you will see an uprising.

6. Everybody lies and you might punish the wrong kid.

• I b c

H b v g n m m m m m m mk k k k k k k h h v c x j jub u yu h bh v ftf g gbg gtgt g ty y yg y I I ii I I I I I iii I i

• That is stupid!!!!

I am a kid in school and if they allowed that half the kids wouldn't even bother going to school!!!!!!! I think suspension is bad enough and it teaches the kids. It embarrasses them enough that they do it again! It also makes them scared of the teacher's and that would make them work slowly!!

• Nope. :/ :l

Corporal punishment should not be allowed in schools. If teachers are allowed to hit the students, the students could become very scared or angry and not show up to school. A majority of the time if a kid misbehaves it is a onetime deal or it was not extreme and the child would not deserve to be hit because of the action. Also some parents may not believe in that sort of punishment. Schools should allow parents to make the call for how their child is punished. Today in this world many schools are anti-bully, if the schools start to allow corporal punishment that could be seen as bullying towards the students.
    Some people may think that this type of punishment is okay if the child deserves it. However does any child deserve to be hit by an adult? If children grow up with adults that have the right to hit them, they could potentially grow up to think hitting someone is okay. Children could also feel alone, like they have no one to go to when they need to talk or when they have a problem that they could not go to their parents about, they will be left alone not knowing what to do. Some teachers can also be very bias and could be hitting the kids just because they do not favor them. This could mean the child is just simply being abused instead of punished which is not okay.
    According to the website, privateschools, a majority of people agree that corporal punishment should not be allowed in schools. The website states that this form of punishment has no place in the education of students and it perpetrates the cycle of abuse. School is a place where all kids of all ages should come and feel safe. If the teachers are striking the kids, will the kids feel safe? Of course not. Schools should leave disciplinary actions to the parents of the child.

• Parents need to be better disciplinarians.

It's not the school's, nor the teacher's, job to be parents.

The problem is at home. The parents encourage their children to ignore authority and disrespect those of authority. The children walk all over the parents and the parents allow it.

I will however agree that a teacher has the right to fight back if a student punches, hits, kicks, or bites the teacher.

I would NEVER teach in a public school in the US. It is disgraceful and pathetic. The US is no longer the greatest country.

Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=q49NOyJ8fNA

• No of course not!

First of all what are we in the dark ages?! Also teachers have no right to hurt the kids ! This is just going to cause kids hating school . School is hard enough for kids this is going cause emotional distress and trauma depending on the severity of the punishment. And what will they learn? They're going to look back on school and remember the crimes and punishments sure they won't do it again but that type of punishment is just going to break the kids' spirit!

• Yes, because of the learner s behaviour

People can't expect teachers to just sit down and watch learners as tney wrong ,by beating the learners they are putting them in the right way. Today learners dont even respect teachers, they backchat and do all kind of wrong things, and you guys just except teachers to sit down and watch, than people start thinking that the school that the certain learners are attending, they are not been taught how to respect

• No corporal punishment

That's so wrong on so many levels. The only person who should hit kids is their parents, I don't mean like, beat them ,but hit them when there bad. I'm a kid in 7th grade so you might not care about what I say. I just looked this up for an essay for English and I cant believe there's archaically people who think this is okay 57% to 43%?! This is most likely because only people who believe in this are searching this up SICK!

• It wont behave the kids nor let them learn anything

Schools are suppose to educate the minds of these kids and not physically hurt them, in cases for example if we are talking about an out of controlled teenager (specially if it was a guy at his teenager years) hitting him or slapping him in any kind of way wont let him be behaved but it will effect his manners even more. Why is that? Because simply he is a TEENAGER he wont obey you or obey anyone because the teenager mindset is based on their own rules. If you'll start punishing him instead of make him feel guilty or scolding him doesn't really matter but don't lay a hand on other parents child its not your right to do it under any circumstances

• Thats not right

Some kids are bigger than the teachers and principles and then the kid would fight back and then it would be more serious than disrespecting a principle.Like everyone else said teachers and principles are bias kids would start ditching. Its fine in a home if parents believe in that but school crosses the line. And if the parent didnt believe in that then they would have to home school the student or move and thats not okay