Should cosmetic plastic surgeons be required by law to have patients evaluated for psychological disorders (primarily Body-Dysmorphic Disorder) before operating?

• People Seeking Cosmetic Surgery are lacking Self Acceptance

Media and Society portray an image that most individuals with underlying self-esteem issues are finding difficult to turn away from. Some people seek cosmetic surgery to feel beautiful because media sends the message that perfection is key in our society and never does media portray self acceptance. Our own role models don't advocate self acceptance and therefore many people who seek out cosmetic surgeries are unaware of the risks and complications involved and most plastic surgeons will never brief a patient in on it. In fact, most cosmetic surgeons will actually encourage MORE procedures, making the human feel even more inadequate about themselves. I believe if the underlying cause of the individual seeking the procedure is evaluated, they can get the actual help they need to feel better about themselves.

• I believe so.

In the best interests of the patient (and the doctor), I believe it should be legally required to have the patient evaluated for psychiatric disorders that may distort the patient's perception of themselves. Many people with BDD believe surgery is a solution, yet are never satisfied. BDD patients are easily exploited because of their constant obsession with their appearance. People with BDD need medical intervention, not plastic surgery. It is also in the best interest of the doctor to take preventative measures because operating on a patient suffering from blatant BDD can easily ruin their reputation or be sued. It is beneficial to both parties.

• Make smart choices

If you are getting cosmetic plastic surgery, you should be smart enough to know what you need. A doctor may and/or may not advise your patient on whether or not she should get it, but it should not be required. Learn to take care of yourself, you are a grown adult.

• We live in an Open Society

I believe forcing someone to undergo psychiatric evaluation would be counterproductive. If someone is found to be diagnosed with BDD for example, then what? Are you not going to allow that individual to undergo plastic surgery? For the sake of argument let me answer that, no. We live in a society of free choice. Whether or not someone has a psychological disorder should not matter in them being able to decide the course of action which is best for themselves. I will gladly accept any offer to debate anyone on this subject who thinks otherwise.