Should creationism be taught in public school?

Asked by: Mr.sarcastic
  • Evolutionism is secular religion.

Since majority of American tax payers believe in God, why should their tax dollars support the teaching of anti-deity evolutionism. Evolution is not scientific.
    Nobody ever witnessed a species evolve into another. But evolutionists believe and have faith it happened.
    Both explanations of how the world and it's creatures came to be should be offered with supporting data.
    Freedom of choice is circumvented when you only permit one candidate.

• Creationism is needed.

Creationism is not forcing ones beliefs onto another. It is simply a way of though on how the Earth came to be. It is needed to be placed in public school textbooks instead of, or with, an evolutionary way of thought. Creationism is also a more viable explanation for how we came to be.

• Creationism is needed

This will teach kids creativity and distract them from electronics. They will learn to imagine things for the better . Imagination is the greatest thing you can have, and teaching kids to be creative and themselves is therefore essential. This can also boost students self esteem , allowing them to be whoever they'd like.

• It wouldn't hurt.

I'm no young earth creationist myself, but I think it would be beneficial to students if they got to hear both sides of the story in school. More knowledge is always beneficial in some form, even if the theory doesn't hold much water. It wouldn't be horrible to present an alternative to evolution; and who knows, there could be solid evidence found someday. Absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence, more specifically when dealing with the origins of the universe and life itself.

• I guess so, but

In an ideal environment, creationism should be taught as an elective subject (or part of one), assuming the school has enough resources or funds to do so. Otherwise no, there are probably quite a few subjects that should take priority.

In light of the internet, it's not all that hard to learn about anyways.

• Yes but along side the theory of evolution.

I believe it is important to educate kids in other peoples beliefs and other alternatives to strictly secular scientific theory, after all nobody can truly prove either. I personally am a humanist and chose to adopt the theory of evolution as opposed to creationism because to my logic it is the more probable solution. I think that it is wrong to teach kids one side of the story and force kids to only accept creationism but on the other hand I do not believe it is acceptable to only teach the theory of evolution. There should be an equal balance of both and it shouldn't be appropriate for the school to force either versions of the story onto kids who chose not to accept either one.

• Yes, it is needed

Due to all the electronics we have today, and most bad students with bad behaviors, we should have a good class to be able to be expressive and let out our ideas in a class. Usually students are able to express themselves in a writing or reading class, but if we were aloud a creativity class we would be able to learn. For example we could draw or write our OWN writings and etc.

• Yes, it is needed

• Evolutionism can be considered a sin, depending on who you ask.

I believe that people should have a choice in being taught how things came to be, instead of shoving "The earth is hardened lava" and "we evolved from monkeys" down peoples throats.
    1: This violates freedom of religion, because this is siding with Atheism.
    2: Depending on who you ask, this is considered a sin. What the public schools teach us denies a deity creating anything. Matthew 10:32-33 states "If you deny me in front of your friends, then I will deny you in front of my father."
    Here's what that's telling me: "You'd better ALWAYS accept me, in front of everyone, or I will deny that I have saved you and you will go to hell."
    So, if in class, I say "The earth was a ball of magma that cooled" and "we evolved from primates", to me, that's denying God.
    I think they should have the same courses, but depending on different religions.
    I seriously don't get Atheism. You reject an afterlife, so why do we exist if we'll all die?
    I like to believe that even if you can't see him, there will ALWAYS be someone watching over you.
    I also like to think of my ancestors as things that were NOT hairy, butt-scratching, bug eating animals.

• I send my kids to PUBLIC school for a reason.

If you want your children taught creationism, send them to a private school or teach it to them at home. If we teach creationism, should we teach EVERY religion's creation stories (that's what they are...Stories...) to our children, just in case one of them is correct? Or should we teach them what science proves to be correct? Teaching creationism in schools would be a waste of every non-catholic student's time.

• Only If You Want America to Suck at Science

The theory of evolution is one of the most supported scientific theories out there. Not only that, but it is the building block for all of biology. I once heard an analogy that compares learning biology without evolution would be like learning about physics without gravity (I think Neil Degrasse Tyson said it). Also, people claim creationism should be taught in public schools because it is a "viable option." If that were the case, then we should also teach the beliefs of how the world came to be through the eyes of all religions. After all, they are also "viable options."

• Creationism isn't needed

There has been no evidence of creationism being correct, therefore it shouldn't be taught in schools. There is far more evidence that supports evolution. If you want your child to learn creationism, take them to a religious school or other learning institution. Don't make other children learn something that hasn't been validly argued for or proven.

• Keep God out of public sphere

Teaching creationism in public schools would be a violation of separation of church and state. It's endorsing a specific religion, which is unconstitutional. If you want to teach your kids creationism over evolution, then send them to a religious-based school or have them home-schooled. The United States is not a theocracy.

• It is not a science

Creationism is a supposed alternative to the theory of evolution, however it is not a scientific one. It is an argument derived completely out of religion, and because the U.S.A. has a distinct separation of church and state, it can not be taught in public schools. Also, just because a large percent of people believe does not mean it should be taught in public schools. 90% of Americans are scientifically illiterate (55% of Americans do not know the Sun is a star, 1/4 of Americans do not know the earth revolves around the Sun, and 46% of Americans are creationists) so public schools should only be doing a better job at teaching real science, and not pseudoscience.

• Creationism is irrelevant to science

Whether you believe in a god or not, it has no effect on the actual science. Belief in a deity who launched it all doesn't change the science. Creationism is a belief, not science. It is not scientifically supported. If it is taught, it should be taught as a belief, not as science.

• Creationism is denying scientific evidence

Creationism is denying scientific evidence which has taken hundreds of years to develop. We need our children to go into the world thinking as logically as possible, and creationism just flat out goes against what can actually be seen in wildlife and nature, and instead teaches an idea that has no factual basis. Furthermore, creationism promotes the idea that our children should be close minded and should reject other possibilities.

• Not in science class.

Creationism can't be taught as science. It can be taught within it's context where appropriate, but it is not a science, and has been proven to fall flat time and time again against the scientific theory. We cannot teach our kids false sciences and expect them to progress into a better generation than ours.

• Its not science

Creationism should not be taught in science, but it can be taught in religious studies where it belongs with all the other things that have no fact based reality. Amazing that this question still gets asked and that the same answers are still been given. Makes you wonder if reason is dead.