Should criminal charges be brought against the man who shot his abductor?

• 99% No I don't think so...

The other 1% I'd say maybe give him or her a misdemeanor assault charge because after all, the abducted did fire a gun and did hit someone. This is a tricky case to work, I'll be honest. But, as I previously stated, I'm 99% sure I wouldn't offer any charges. What drew me to this one was the picture that was used here. The man in the picture is Jesse Matthew Jr. He is a serial rapist/murderer that could be responsible for the sexual assaults/deaths of up to 5 women in the state of Virginia. He is directly connected to 3 cases (2 murders, 1 sexual assault). This man is in custody today and facing 3 consecutive life sentences.

• There is something called self defense.

I still think abduction qualifies as self defense. Any act in which the ability to act on your own free will constrains your ability to function freely. If someone resorts to shooting someone to regain their freedom, it's still self defense in my mind. I know one's life is not endangered in every abduction instance, but even if the physical life is in tact, the emotional life and well being of an individual may be compromised.

• Victims Are Not Criminals

Any person who is held against their will and is a captive of an abductor should be not held responsible for shooting and/ or killing their abductor as a means of defense. People who have been taken and held against their will have been deprived of their basic freedoms. If they have to shoot their abductor, then they should not be held criminally responsible because what they have done is an act of self defense.

• No, criminal charges should not be brought

No, criminal charges should not be brought against the man who shot his abductor. Seeing his abductor may have brought back a significant amount of emotional distress that was caused by the abduction. The abductor knew that the act of abducting someone could enrage the victim to the point of violence. Therefore, the abductor is partially responsible for getting shot.

• No, because he acted in self defense.

When the man shot his abductor he was acting in self defense. He was justified in using lethal force if he felt his life was in danger. In the case of kidnapping he could not be sure that his life would be spared even if the demands of his captor were met.