• Cursive writing should be taught in schools.

I have learned cursive writing since I was in first grade if not then second grade. I think that writing cursive makes you write like a professional. This would help student prepare for college or high school when they are required to write cursive. Once you learn how to do it, then it would be a natural habit for you. I am 17 years old and when we were required to write in cursive a lot of kids did not really know what or not sure how to write it.
    ANA PLANES17=>

• Yes

Students should definitely be taught cursive. When I was in 1st & 2nd grade all I remember was being forced to write cursive and I loved it. Now that I'm a sophomore in a school with about 2000 teenagers, not even half of them know it and I find that ridiculous. Cursive is not a hard thing to learn and is looks more professional. So in my opinion, yes students should learn cursive.

• Cursive writing is a good break for kids with dyslexia.

Yes, cursive writing should be taught in schools.You may not have noticed but cursive handwriting is quickly becoming a skill of the past. Many schools are choosing to eliminate handwriting instruction from their elementary classrooms. Controversy is growing over the role handwriting and keyboarding instruction will have in the classroom, particularly in the elementary grades where students are still developing their reading, writing and motor skills. Elementary school teachers attest to students often having trouble with the same letters since preschool. Introducing another writing form gives them the same leg up on printing as foreign language does with English-grammar learning for native born speakers. It reinforces their learning.

• I'm for Cursive Writing

Cursive writing helps develop the mind. When I was growing up, it was taught in every grade for about 15 - 20 mins. I think It's easier to take notes in cursive. It's like an art. Also, most of our important historical documents are written in cursive. If they get rid of cursive writing, you will have to hire an interpreter to read these documents.

• Printing is for preschool and cursive for adults.

I have a masters in human resources and organizational behavior. In these studies surveys show in business emails are less effective in communication to upper and lower management. Therefore, written letters are more noticed then typed to say thank yous and congratulations. In job application a written cursive thank you note is preferred and looked upon as a sign of an educated individual. Does one want to be notice or merge with the crowed? Furthermore, cursive writting takes time and forethought, showing the receiver they are important to the writer. Fast and instant is not always better.

• IT is AWESOME

What if you have to sign your name on something important. You could be i trouble if you don't know how to sign your own NAME! Cursive is a life skill needed to get important documents validated. Lets get Kids into schools every where. Cursive is not only a skill but an art form.

• Keep cursive in schools

Cursive should be taught. How is your signature on legal document be done? Long again there was printing cursive and then you could take in high school Short hand or typewriting class to help with papers for college. All students should know how to write. Social media is taking away humanity and no one knows how to talk face to face or write no one knows how to spell. A HUGE PITY

• It is helpful!

For people a disability such as dyslexia print writing can be confusing because many of the letters such as b and d look similar. Cursive writing is more fluent and the letters are vastly different making it easier to write with. Print writing is also much harder because when you are writing with it is very choppy where as cursive writing is moor fluent and easier to write with because you don't have to pause nearly as much.

• A Step Backwards

Those who lack the skills to read and write in cursive will also be unable to read and thus comprehend The Constitution of the United States and The Bill of Rights. It is inviting illiteracy that would result in an under educated population and a fatal step backwards for society.

• Spend the time where it's needed

There are people who have beautiful handwriting that do not write in cursive. I don't think it's necessary. I think we should spend more time teaching our kids how to spell instead of how it looks when written on paper. A lot of schools around the country have poor tests scores and it's not because they don't write in cursive. Spend the time where it's actually needed.

• Outdated

It's going to be completely irrelevant within a decade, it's all moving to computers! You most likely carry a mobile typing device in your pocket! You could have a genius who is held back because he can't figure out a form of writing. Why should kids learn something that will be useless in a few years!

• Not worth it!

Cursive is pointless in todays time. it serves no purpose what so ever. schools instead should focus on making students more proficient in their core subjects such as reading, writting, and math. because when they apply for jobs and colleges they wont be tested on their cursive skills, but on how qualified they are.

• pointless

It serves absolutely no purpose. The only remote possible purpose I can think of is to make your signature unique. However, my signature is not really cursive but it's still unique. It sounds like the original posters reason for supporting cursive is "because we like it". Well, I think swahili is cool to so can we teach that too?

• What about left-handed students?

Learning handwriting is hard enough for left-handed students, and cursive worsens the situation by forcing the pen to stay planted on the paper at unnatural angles. Typing, by comparison, is ambidextrous, accurate, and magnitudes faster.

To this day, nearly every book, road sign, web page, newspaper, legal document, or instruction manual is written in normal print. Cursive is just another form of calligraphy, and should be relegated to the history books.

• Digital age cursive has no use

That time should be spent on other more important subjects like math, science, grammar, reading, or even recess. Countries who are destroying us don't waste time on mandatory calligraphy classes like we do. Have it be an elective instead of a mandatory thing forced on students who are not inclined to learn that way and don't need the extra help.

• Handwriting matters ... But does cursive matter?

Handwriting matters — but does cursive matter? The fastest, clearest handwriters join only some letters: making the easiest joins, skipping others, using print-like forms of letters whose cursive and printed forms disagree. (Sources below.)

Reading cursive matters, but even children can be taught to read writing that they are not taught to produce. Reading cursive can be taught in just 30 to 60 minutes — even to five- or six-year-olds, once they read ordinary print. Why not teach children to read cursive, along with teaching other vital skills, including a handwriting style typical of effective hand writers?

Adults increasingly abandon cursive. In 2012, handwriting teachers were surveyed at a conference hosted by Zaner-Bloser, a publisher of cursive textbooks. Only 37 percent wrote in cursive; another 8 percent printed. The majority, 55 percent, wrote a hybrid: some elements resembling print-writing, others resembling cursive. When most handwriting teachers shun cursive, why mandate it?

Cursive's cheerleaders sometimes allege that cursive makes you smarter, makes you graceful, or confers other blessings no more prevalent among cursive users than elsewhere. Some claim research support, citing studies that consistently prove to have been misquoted or otherwise misrepresented by the claimant.

What about signatures? In state and federal law, cursive signatures have no special legal validity over any other kind. (Hard to believe? Ask any attorney!)

All writing, not just cursive, is individual — just as all writing involves fine motor skills. That is why, six months into the school year, any first-grade teacher can immediately identify (from print-writing on unsigned work) which student produced it.

Mandating cursive to preserve handwriting resembles mandating stovepipe hats and crinolines to preserve the art of tailoring.

SOURCES:

Handwriting research on speed and legibility:

/1/ Steve Graham, Virginia Berninger, and Naomi Weintraub. “The Relation between Handwriting Style and Speed and Legibility.” JOURNAL OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH, Vol. 91, No. 5 (May - June, 1998), pp. 290-296: on-line at http://www.Jstor.Org/stable/pdfplus/27542168.Pdf

/2/ Steve Graham, Virginia Berninger, Naomi Weintraub, and William Schafer. “Development of Handwriting Speed and Legibility in Grades 1-9.”
    JOURNAL OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH, Vol. 92, No. 1 (September - October, 1998), pp. 42-52: on-line at http://www.Jstor.Org/stable/pdfplus/27542188.Pdf

Zaner-Bloser handwriting survey: Results on-line at http://www.Hw21summit.Com/media/zb/hw21/files/H2937N_post_event_stats.Pdf

[AUTHOR BIO: Kate Gladstone is the founder of Handwriting Repair/Handwriting That Works and the director of the World Handwriting Contest]

• No more cursive

Cursive writing shouldn't be taught for a few reasons. The first is that all the new technology today doesn't use cursive, just print. Another reason is that "print is a lot faster than writing" -Ben Dover If class time was used to teach other subjects, test scores could rise. Lastly, teaching kids 2 "languages" can confuse them, at least it confused Ben Dover!

• No, only to the point of learning to sign your own name.

People who say that Cursive helps refine fine motor skills are wrong. Printing has both circular and lines in it while Cursive only has circular structures. Cursive was originally intended to speed up writing possesses but instead it is having the opposite effect on it. You can teach Cursive in schools but only to the point in where people can learn to sign their own name. Cursive is useless in today's day and age.

• Writing in cursive is pointless in today's age.

What's the point of teaching cursive? Students today have many new ideas to which to adapt, and teaching them a dying script makes no sense. Although I think students should learn how to READ cursive, for the sake of knowing what old documents are about, why teach them to write? Kids are tested on their literacy. It doesn't matter how you write it. Whether it's cursive or not, the same paragraphs have the same words and ideas. If you've seen the cursive kids write (or attempt to, really) it's far less legible. Instead of wasting time on cursive, teach kids today how to actually write. If your essays are pitiful, writing them in loopy script doesn't help much.

Anonymous says2013-02-25T23:44:25.190
i really think the person who made this whole work up did a good job because we get to tell what we want to say
Anonymous says2013-05-01T13:48:18.447
True i think it is nice to leave ur opinion...
Anonymous says2013-08-06T03:06:14.597
I think cursive should definitely be taught in schools. I find writing in cursive more enjoyable than printing or whatever it's called that people write these days. I'm so used to cursive. I was taught cursive when I was in 2nd grade and just went on from there messing with different styles and finally have my own personal style that makes writing a lot faster, enjoyable and it looks wicked too. I know some people don't like it and can't read it all that well. I've had teachers in the past not understand my writing even though it was definitely readable. To me, cursive handwriting is art. I like how I write an essay on paper and it looks so good. It's like eye-candy to me. I'm left handed also and my cursive is italicized at probably 35-40 degrees. I'm 19 already and I still like to find ways to improve my style. But I don't know. When I was in high school, I barely saw people write cursive. Just a bunch of messy text.