• Yes. Absolutely Yes.

Dance is a sport, an expressive and artistic sport, but that doesn't make it any less of a sport. It is a physical activity requiring significant training, skill, and stamina. There are internationally accepted techniques and guidelines to competition, which are widely used today. Dance is also judged within categories of style not between. As to comment on the likeness of dance and gymnastics, it is clear those arguing that they are the same have an extremely limited understanding of both sports. There are numerous differences including technique and expression. Gymnastic dancing really doesn't resemble dancing. By that logic it would make more sense to pull gymnastics out of the Olympics and replace it with acro, a 50:50 combination and dance a gymnastics. (this is not something I actually advocate). I think it would be least controversial to introduce international standard ballroom dancing first, because those have set in stone judging standards that are tried and true. Many sports that have been removed from the Olympics have been removed because they were no longer popular to view or participate in. I feel dance, much like figure skating in the winter Olympics and gymnastics in the summer Olympics, would draw a large audience.

• Dance or gymnastics

If gymnastics is allowed, dance should be too. They are practically the same thing they both involve balance, creativity, skill and flexibility. Why not include dance if gym is included! What if you were a great dancer but you did not do gymnastics you would not be able to take part and that's not fair

• Dance is competitive

I am a Dancer and have been dancing for years. I want to testify that dance is competitive. I cant see how dance would be added to the Olympics. Its hard to judge dancing because allot of it is based....There are also so many styles of dance. I agree parcally and disagree parcally

• Yes of course

YES because dance is absolutely super hard and people still neglect it as a sport. If you didn't even try it why would you say no. You know dance is a sport you train for as a little girl or boy. They go though a lot of training, they just want someone to understand what dance is.

• Of course it is a sport!

Gymnastics is a sport and floor in the Olympics is a lot like dancing! So I strongly think dance is a sport and it SHOULD be in the Olympics!! A lot of people think dance isn't a sport but, you are scored and in competitive dancing you compete and you do the same in soccer and all the other sports.

• The dance should be Olympics.

The ice dancing is figure skating. There is a figure skating competition in the Olympics. Dancing is moving your body to music. Ice skating is skating to move your body to music. I think dancing should be in the Olympics as figure skating is in the Olympics. Adding dance is a good decision.

• Dance should be in the olympics

Umm excuse me but just because theres a floor section in gymnastics does not mean its dance. I like you to go to a dance studio and and experince what its like to dance almost 30 hours a week! You think football is a sport welll dance is a lot harder i like to see you stand on pointe all week and not suffer injuries on your feet! Dance is extremly competive and it does not break the 3 rule competive teams because there are teams and theres solos duos trios and a group number which competes against the other studios (teams)

• Dance is a competitive sport that takes training and hard work.

People argue that dancing can not be judged and that it is to broad a category. There are not only thousands of dance competitions, but the Olympics doesn't have to include all styles of dance only a few. If ice skating is in the Olympics dance should be to. It is mandatory for professional ice skaters to take ballet a style of dance. Dance can be rated on expression, technique, and many other things. I also think people would enjoy watching dance in the Olympics as Dancing With the Stars has many seasons. Dance is difficult, takes hard work, and you must truly love for the sport. Which is a common trait of many other Olympic sports. Yes, dance should definitely be added to the Olympics.

• Very strongly agree

Although dancing is considered an art to some, I can tell you from years of dance training and experience that it takes a very physically fit person to execute the moves to make the "art". The more in shape the dancer, the more pleasing it is to watch. It requires a great deal of talent that very few people have. I often think dancing is underestimated in the sense of physical fitness.

• Yes Dance Should

Yes, I think Dance should be added to the olympics. I have read that cheerleading will be added abd so i think that dance should be. To be a dancer is a beautoful gift and it is very hard to achieve. If dance was added to the olympics, i think people would respect the beauty of it more.

• Its already there

Ribbon twirling, or that thing with the ball all forms of dance that are in the Olympics already, Why should freestyle dance be added when wrestling ( a sport that was in the Olympics from day one) get taken out. Wrestling needs to be added back in before dance gets put in

• It's to subjective to be an Olympic sport.

To be considered by the majority of the American population as a sport, it must have 3 things
    1) It has to have an Objective, sometimes subjective goal in mind.
    2) It must be physically demanding and participants must have a trained skill.
    3) It must compete against others, either as individuals or teams

Dance breaks the third rule.

And honestly, I don't want to add another Olympic sport that detracts from the main ones.
    Power walking...Pfff...Give me a break.
    Dance, yeah it's physically challenging, but good sports, real sports, have a Objective goal (highest score/first to finish) and it doesn't directly compete against competition.

Posted by: JDuB
  • No, dance should not be added to the Olympics.

I believe that dance should not be added to the Olympics. Dance is not really a sport, even though it does require a person to be in good physical shape. Dance is more of recreation than a sport. There is also some dancing done in the gymnastic competitions, so it doesn't need to be a separate sport.

• How would you judge it?

Most sports games are generally standardised in order to make it easier to compete in. To compete, one must aim to score higher than the competitors. In order to do that, there must be ways for points to be accumulated. As for dance, there are many forms. Contemporary, ballet, tango, salsa, and many more. There would be too much categories if dance were to be included. Secondly, dance is self-expressive. Scoring would be difficult to standardise as the scores could be very easily argued.

• Olympic sports need to have the extra element

Dance, is moving to music, sometimes with props, but it isn't mandatory. If dance ALWAYS had props, for every routine, the prop could be it's extra element. By extra element, I mean water, ice, beam-bars, vault, bow and arrow, shot-put, soccer/basket/volley ball, or ribbon-rope-hoop-clubs-ball which are in rhythmic gymnastics.

You see, rhythmic gymnastics qualifies as a sport because of the dance base, mixed with apparatus manipulation, throws, masteries, and "skills" or "elements" that include "leaps or "jumps", "turns" or "pirouettes" etc. All those things have to have apparatus involved, no drops, always moving, and you can't repeat something similar in your routine. That is what makes rg a sport, and dance, well, its just a fraction of what rg is about.

Same with figure skating. Its based on dance, but even if you are a dancer, to figure skate, you would have to start from a beginner level. If figure skaters or ANY gymnast (rhythmic/artistic) tried dance, it would be simple to pick up. This is coming from a girl who has never taken a dance class, working with dance choreographers, and dancer friends.

• The dance should be Olympics.

• Because it is not a sport

So it might be not good for boys and it will be not good for anyone who love sport so people might boo at Dance people might go and get like a 1 percent so i think it might not be in the Olympics so that means i say NO

• Because it is not a sport

• Dance is a sport!!!!!!!!!!!

Dance involves physical strength, agility, balance, grace, flexibility, and dedication. The average dancer works just as hard as any athlete if not harder. A dancer's world has to revolve around dance. Saying that it's artistic just proves that it's harder because you have to show emotion and act. You can't concentrate on the choreography, you have to also focus on acting and telling a story. Rhythmic gymnastics is basically the same thing as dance just with the addition of props and it's all flexibility tricks and balance. A dancer needs to tell a story, spend hours perfecting complicated choreography and make it look easy and effortless. So dance absolutely should be in the Olympics!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yes yes yes

Troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll